Talk Whatever

Happy Birthday Rev! And the same again to your moustache!

[quote=“El Topo, post:3639, topic:370”]A proper Dali moutache deserves the right thread not a Talk whatever[/quote]When Phil and I met up with him recently he occasionally twisted it like he was some sort of Terry Thomas/Dick Dastadley type ;D

Never seen so many Spaniards In Lisbon like now, it’s seems I’m in Madrid. I’ve been asked to take photos of couples at least four or five times in only one hour. Tomorrow Iwill stay near home that’s for sure.

Yes, Lisbon must feel like the Spanish capital for the next 24 hours.

Me and my son with Robert Llewellyn (Kryten from Red Dwarf) at yesterday’s London ExCeL Comic-Con.

[url]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/145/5/0/map_of_the_stereotypes_by_jaysimons-d7jo0w0.png[/url]

It seems that the director of The Return (2003) has made another good film, Bradshaw speaks very highly of his new work:

Yes! Yes!

http://www.furiouscinema.com/2014/06/blu-releases-upon-time-america-extended-directors-cut/

[size=14pt]Giorno felice padre … se rimani in vita abbastanza a lungo per festeggiare, amico![/size]

(wishing all of my fellow literal “mother f*ckers” a happy Father’s Day today, in forum-appropriate Italo-Western)

:slight_smile:

Not a much remembered date by now, the 100 years of the event that triggered WWI, but one of real importance and that made changes in the world, that for good or bad we still are living with them today.

WWI created our world, the society we live today, both in political and social terms. By destroying the byzantine mosaic of the European Imperial dynasty’s, opened the Pandora Box and ended a world that even with the Napoleonic wars, had subsisted since the first absolutistic European kingdoms. Before that and contrary to what most people think, the notion of country and state, was very different from the one we have today, for most people the King was someone far away, and their only “loyalty” was to the feudal lord where they live sometimes more poweful than kings, only after the 100 years war, the notion of nation was born was we understand it today. So WWI ended a very old world and created another one very different.

Despite the western front was the most important one, there were more than 10 fronts all over the world, and actually one battle had more casualties (among killed wounded, missing and prisoners) that the most known ones in the Western front (mostly long battles that took months), this if you consider the time in which it occurred, a few days and not long campaigns like Verdum or Somme, it’s the case of the Tannenberg battle with more than 180 000 casualties in just three days.

After the murder of the heir to the Austrian –Hungarian, several attempts to stop the war clock were made, many unknow to the general public, with concessions from both sides being made, but at the moment armies are mobilized nothing can stop them.

History is my hobby, and WWI a case study for me specially the Austro-Hungary Empire (as the Hapsburg dynasty in general). When in university, for one of the economy disciplines, we had to make a work about multinational companies and their work environment, to make a difference from the coca colas of the world, I boldly chose as an example the Austrian Hungary and the Byzantine empire, the teachers liked.
A date to remember and like someone said, the war that turned poets into soldiers and soldiers into poets.

Very well said El Topo; in many ways, it’s sobering to think how many of the same issues and circumstances that existed in the world prior to WWI exist in some shape or form today, under different guises.

So he liked to play with a few things then.

Can anyone help me? I’m trying to track down a film that I have only a few memories of. It’ll be great if I could finally find it, or its title.
Basically all I can remember is:

The reason he goes for revenge is a chemical company accidently kill his son (due to the experimental chemicals, no doubt)
It came out in the early 70’s
I’m not sure if Kirk Douglas or Burt Lancaster are the main role
The whole ending is him going on a huge killing spree.

Is it “Rage” with George C Scott ?:

[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069158/[/url]

Thats the one! Many thanks mate!
Been trying to find it for years.

My pleasure :slight_smile: .

I will probably work on putting some of my movie opinions and mini-reviews from SWDB on RateYourMusic.com now that I have some free time on my hands. Started rating movies there because I happen to disagree with 75% of general movie consensus there.

Looks very interesting, I’ll have a closer look at your page tomorrow

@scherpschutter
You’re most welcome there, amigo.

Btw, do we have any RYM users here?