Swigging from a terracotta jug over your shoulder

I’ve seen this staple of the Spaghetti Western genre a dozen times, and of course I cant think of one specific.

You know, tough guy puts his finger through the little ring hole hoists the big tan jug up onto his shoulder. stretched his neck backwards, and lets the water… or wine… pour into his open mouth and subsequently all over his person.

Anyone think of a good quick “accessible” (you… ahem… tube… cough) reference where I can show some one this classic trope.

The only one I can think of instantly is a great one Run, Man, Run, where Milian is trying to take a swig of a huge jug and it gets shot, exploding everywhere. A nice change right before the swig.

Holy shit that’s literally sitting right in front of me on my Hulu watchlist. Beyond perfect, thanks!

Right before the scene I was after (thanks again) there was this.

This is so ridiculous. No one would ever sit like this, let alone sleep like this, in the entire recorded history of napping.

And yet… I am hard pressed to think of a more awesome looking frame of film.

This shoots at the heart of what I am always uneloquently preaching. It is a look, a feeling, a framing, a loose set of outlandish tropes. This image nips at the heels of what is the epitome of the Spaghetti Western.

And for the directors who took the Leone “every frame a painting” approach to the genre, a template was created that I see emulated in comic books and anime constantly, but nobody makes that connection of course. Too obscure sadly. Spaghetti’s have so much to do with what we perceive as “cool” in cinema/geekdom its immeasurable, yet undiscovered.

Just wonderful.

Oh man, not quite what i was looking for… the key part that’s missing is the weird move where its actually on the guys shoulder and upside down and kind of pours into their turned mouth… vs just a straight swig.

Of course no worries as this is still a win as I cant look away from my TV for the next hour now.

I’ll have a another poke around in my collection, see if I can remember one with a swig. I can picture several with Fernando Sancho doing that exact part, just cannot think of the movies title.

Edit: possibly some titles with Sancho having a chug, apologies if my mind is not all there beforehand:

And The Crows Will Dig Your Grave, 10,000 Dollars Blood Money, Stagecoach of The Condemned, A Pistol For Ringo and Arizona Colt?

About the framing, what about a slow moving shot focusing around villager pulling the jug up slowly with one finger, then from a side on close up of his mouth touching the jug, water (or booze) splashing his face, then, a cut to through the handle hoop, in the distance, arrives a stranger, slowly walking in from the desert heat, towards the peon… cue slow, yet tense guitar strumming.

joe kidd

clint takes one out swinging against a mexican standing against a wall

See, I’m picturing Tomas Milian doing it. Am I remembering it, or am I just imagining it as a very Cuchillo/Beauregard/El Vasco thing to do?

Brahm, you’re a bloody filmmaker, just shoot a scene of it yourself and you’re golden! :grin: (tbh it’s pretty sacrilegious that you didn’t have an instance or three of jug-guzzling somewhere within Shoot in Any Direction… anyway! :slight_smile: )

Brahm, you’re a bloody filmmaker, just shoot a scene of it yourself and you’re golden!

Ha. I’ve actually tried the jug trick, and I can’t replicate, I end up looking like a dehydrated kid waiting for the short bus. Hence my plea to the group.

(tbh it’s pretty sacrilegious that you didn’t have an instance or three of jug-guzzling somewhere within Shoot in Any Direction… anyway! :slight_smile: )

Regular jug-guzzling? Who says I didn’t? :wink:

Though not a Spaghetti (wink) I scrubbed the whole thing, couldn’t find it.

I did enjoy the scene where clint snipes the sniper… shoots him in the heart, but when the sniper lifts his hand up to his bloody chest wound… his hand is already bloody. Woopsy.

Did a quick scan of all the “feasting” scenes in A Pistol For Ringo, came up empty.

:cry: