SpagvemberFest!

I know it’s unheard of but you could also just fork out the $5 and get it on the blu-ray alongside in a double feature with The Last Gun:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HHX9L4?ie=UTF8&tag=spaghetti-western-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004HHX9L4

I have a feeling that the above youtube video is just a rip off of that one.

Is this region free? I have plenty of region 1 DVDs because my player can handle all regions. Sadly, that’s not the case for BluRays.

Will check it tonight. The case says Region A but I’m pretty sure I watched sometime last year or before that and didn’t have a region A player myself then. Ofdb.de also states it as begion region free. Maybe somebody else in here can remeber it or else I’ll throw you the info.

It IS region free. Just found an old discussion in here from 6 years ago where I asked the exact same question you did and got a positive answer :slight_smile:

Cheers mate

I had the film on DVD and thought it was not good enough for an upgrade when this release became available (and I didn’t have a Blu-ray player back then), but the actual price might change my mind

1 Like

*16. Petroni: And For a Roof a Sky Full of Stars
-Another lesser favorite. Episodic film with some average or bad scenes and with some excellent scenes. But honestly it’s Morricone’s great score that really lifts the film up. 7/10

1 Like

That opening scene…

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2017 - THE KILLER CALIBRE 30: DAY 16

Ooh, we’re doing the Hippy Hippy Shake today with “Charlie Manson Goes West!”, aka Four of the Apocalypse (Fulci, 1975). Strange film, this. To this day I can’t quite decide if I really like it or really don’t like it. I tend to veer 'twixt the two states. All I DO know is that this film needed far more Tomas Milian than it had, even though he seemed roughly 100 years ahead of the timeframe of the movie. Grooooovy, maaaan!

https://imgur.com/2XJbsdc.jpg

16. Death Rides a Horse

Not a top 20 for me, but one I’ll watch again (and again and again). My thoughts on it are on the film’s thread. Just on the casting of John Phillip Law, come to think about it, when David Lynch can get away with a woman with a log, why is it that Petroni cannot get away with a log with a pistol?

1 Like

“You got a stupid face, but you get it”

1 Like

I suppose JPL’s character needs to be a bit of a ‘plank’ to allow LVC to shine … However his attempt at stoic an unemotional comes off as sulky and thick, which leaves the audience with little to empathise. Also, the choice of voice makes him seem even more moronic, sounding like Clint Walker’s brain damaged sibling.

Perhaps JPL was getting acting tips from Anthony Steffen … ? There seems to be a few characteristic Steff moves in his ‘performance’. :smile:

STEFF 17

Django the Bastard (Garrone / 1969)

Dive and Shoot = 1
Roll and Shoot = 1
Slow Eye Reveal = 8

Eight slow eye reveals might sound excessive but, to be fair, they fit here more than anywhere else as part of the spectre-like character of “is he dead - is he not” Django.

My memories of this were clearer than for some of the others I’ve re-watched this month but I must say I think I like it much more this time around. In some ways (multiple slow eye reveals) it would seem to be classic Steff stuff but in truth this is not like any of his previous outings in the slightest and sits alongside And God said to Cain as one of the few truly gothic spaghetti westerns. The Steff fits the role perfectly, it is Garrone’s best western, Luciano Rossi is bat shit crazy and the ghost/not ghost question leaves you with plenty to think about afterwards. this could well challenge Killer Kid as my favourite Steff. Top 5 Steff without a doubt.

1 Like

I noticed the quotation marks… :wink:

Must be read in a robotic voice for the true John Phillip Law effect!

*17. Bava: Roy Colt and Winchester Jack
-Well, it’s not a good film but not as bad as most comedy westerns either. Partly serious, partly comedic. In the bordello scene it goes totally bonkers (got to love the ennui of the pretty prostitute in that scene). At least it’s a good looking film with beautiful colors and some great camera work here and there. 5/10

1 Like

12. SHOOT JOE, AND SHOOT AGAIN (1971)

Revisited this one again from an Italian TV copy upgrade. This wasn’t that good, but it’s not bad either. It’s all about the loot in this one, with Harrison’s character holding a map that was giving it to him by a dying bank robber who deceived the group lead by an effective José Torres, that’s when it gets interesting.

1 Like

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2017 - THE KILLER CALIBRE 30: DAY 17

“I’m your pallbearer!”

Doesn’t need any further introduction, does it? Today’s shootey beauty is of course If You Meet Sartana, Pray For Your Death (Parolini, 1968) and it’ll be the first of three trips to Sartana-land for me this weekend. Hey, this film is a mere FIFTEEN points away from replacing the overrated Run, Man, Run (Sollima, 1968) in the official SWDB Big 20. Get voting, people!

https://imgur.com/nqPxArr.jpg

STEFF 18

Shango (Mulargia / 1970)

Dive and Shoot = 3
Roll and Shoot = 2
Slow Eye Reveal = 1

The Steff versus Fajardo again. Excellent opening and some good scenes throughout. Another one co-penned by Steff himself and it is all pretty solid stuff. Upper tier Steff.

1 Like

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2017 - THE KILLER CALIBRE 30: DAY 18

It’s Saturday once again so it’s another round of double-bills for me, and right now I’m watching I am Sartana, Your Angel of Death (Carnimeo, 1969) with its vaguely Batman-like aesthetic. Holy crazy camera angles, Batman! It’s clearly a second tier spag but it also finds Gianni Garko, Frank Wolff and Klaus Kinski all together and all in fine form indeed. For me, the Sartana pics are a bit like the Dirty Harry pics in that I enjoy all five but I struggle with which I like best out of the first three.

https://imgur.com/gIcCDG4.jpg

Then, much later, I shall be Getting Kinski With It (“la la la, la, la-la la!”) once again with the Hateful Eight-inspiring Shoot the Living and Pray For the Dead (Vari, 1971), the very definition of “a game of two halves”.

https://imgur.com/lv5OV90.jpg