SpagvemberFest!

DAY 3
Making my first visit to the Sartana’s today with If You Meet Sartana, Pray For Your Death (Parolini, 1968). This’ll be my third viewing since Arrow hit us up with their beautiful blu-ray box-set but it’s a film I’m happy to see over and over. One of my favourites, this one. “I’m your pallbearer!” Alright Gianni, keep your hair on!

1 Like
  1. Giurò… e li uccise ad uno ad uno
    Release Date: 7.3.1968

PNG

I have for this month got together more or less twenty 1968 releases that I haven’t seen before. Three films I couldn’t find: Sapevano solo uccidere, Se incontri Sjango, cercati un posto per morire! and Passa Sartana… è l’ombra della tua morte. Three films I could’t find in an English friendly version: Giarrettiera Colt, The Long Day of the Massacre and Vendo cara la pelle. Suggestions are welcome.

1 Like

DAY 4
Back to the Djangos today, and it’s arguably the sequel the original deserved: Django, Prepare a Coffin (Baldi, 1968), starring Terence Hill as Franco Nero as Django, preparing a coffin (or two, or three). This movie is an experience I never especially look forward to, but I enjoy it just fine once it’s in front of me. Like beans on toast, or crossdressing. Giddy-up!

2 Likes

10/10

1 Like
  1. The Belle Starr Story
    Release Date: 15.3.1968

belle%20starr

I didn’t expect much from this, but as it turned out, it’s one I’ll watch again soon. But I’ll need a better copy. Is the Wild East release good?

It’s not bad

A couple of pics

1 Like

Alas, only five days into SpagvemberFest, I’ve already fallen behind schedule. May San Procrastinato, patron saint of delays and otiosity, help me.

1 Like

jyuma

Due to the new look of the site (relatively new, of course), there are still several reviews with those weird bars. I decided to use this Spaghvember to revisit some old favorites and their review pages, starting with this one.

I have always liked it, and still do, but I must confess that it’s a rather odd combination of comedy, camp and rather extreme violence, seasoned with a flair of gothic (one could easily imagine Rosalba Neri’s character in a Hammer movie).

Because we all of a sudden seem to have become very fond of stars, I also added a star-rating to the review:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Johnny_Yuma_Review_(Scherpschutter)

2 Likes

DAY 5
Hm. It’s the first movie I’m not really looking forward to today: A Pistol For Ringo (Tessari, 1965), a movie I think I’ve only seen once and I wasn’t especially keen. Still, it’ll be my first crack at my Arrow blu-ray and the movie may well reveal itself to be a gem yet. We’ll see.

1 Like

Day 3

Fury of Johnny Kid (Puccini / 1967)

Always been a favourite and still is. If anything it gets better for me with every viewing. Perfect role for PLL, stylish visuals, classic source material, mindless bloodletting and of course a terrific ending. Love it.

3 Likes

I don’t like it as much as much as used to, but I guess it’s just… a matter of principle :+1:

1 Like

Day 4

Killer Calibro 32 (Brescia / 1967)

An enjoyable if obvious whodunnit with PLL introducing the character of Silver into the genre. Gianni Garko picked it up sometime later but it would have been nice to see Lawrence make more of a repeat series based on the dapper and principled hitman. I suspect if this one had been better overall that might have happened. As it is, KC32 is ok and no more.

1 Like

spagvember #5 Girolami: Reverend Colt
-I found that I had this double feature dvd from WE still unopend so that’s a stuff for spagvember. If I bought it I need to watch it too eventually even though the film is lousy. :grin:
Maybe not so bad film after all it’s just plain boring for most parts. The most memorable scene is the nude scene in the title sequence which actually doesn’t make any sense and is like from another film. 4/10

1 Like
  1. Vengeance Is My Forgiveness
    Release Date: 23.3.1968

la%20vendetta

Reverend Danite has compared this film to Vengeance for Vengeance, a good film only let down by a poor ending. Vengeance Is My Forgiveness being for me the contrary, a good ending let down by the rest of the film being very poor. So, if you splice the good parts of the two, you would have a very good film. But that would make no sense, would it. The last minutes of Vengeance Is My Forgiveness is by the way for me the first real taste of spaghetti this Spagvember.

1 Like

Thanks, Carlos!

Somebody here know where to find these films?

• Sapevano solo uccidere
  • Se incontri Sjango, cercati un posto per morire!
  • Passa Sartana… è l’ombra della tua morte

Has anybody ever seen this?

Never even heard of it (until now)

DAY 6
I really never took to the “comedy” spags which swamped the genre in the early seventies. I likes my spaghettis lean, mean and cool as f*ck. Still, there are always exceptions and, in this case, the exceptions for me are two of the biggest spags ever produced, the first of which I’m watching today: They Call Me Trinity (Barboni, 1970). Now, where are my beans?

2 Likes

Spagvember #6 Baldi: Django, Prepare a Coffin!
-Film that suffers occasionallly from cheap look, recycled music and some weakness on the script and directing. But on the other hand there’s a good cast and some of the grittier scenes are really memorable. One of the best attempts at doing Django. 7/10

2 Likes