Spaghetti Westerns and their length

Isn’t Django Kill something like 118 minutes?

More something like 116 or 117

PAL

The German DVD was transfered from a NTSC DVD and has a NTSC lenght, it’s not really Pal.

I read this anywhere,it should not be the only one

I know what you mean. i remember watching a 1950’s British war film called “Above Us the Waves”. It seemed like it took ten years to tell its story.

[quote=“Stanton, post:6, topic:1995”]These are a few short ones with 82 min which are probably uncut:

All’ombra di una Colt (Grimaldi)
Per un dollaro a Tucson si muore (Canevari)
Rimase uno solo e fu la morte per tutti (Mulargia)
Vaya con Dios, Gringo (Mulargia)

The shorter ones of my collection are all cut.
This one by Giuseppe Vari has in my version 78 min, but the uncut version has probably also only 81 min:
Con lui cavalca la morte

The Road to Alamo was even shorter if I remember correctly.[/quote]

According to a book published in April 1998 and listing all the films released in Italy from 1930 (about 30.000), this should be the theatrical length

All’ombra di una colt 95min
Per un dollaro a Tucson si muore 85min
Rimase uno solo e fu la morte per tutti 85min (84 according to Marco Giusti’s Dictionary))
Vaya con Dios, Gringo 88min (92 Giusti)
Con lui cavalca la morte 92min
La strada per Fort Alamo 90min

Il pistolero dell’Ave Maria (Forgotten Pistolero) 88min (83 = running time of the Spanish version)
Da uomo a uomo (Death rides a Horse) 120min (the International version is five minutes shorter)

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:27, topic:1995”]According to a book published in April 1998 and listing all the films released in Italy from 1930 (about 30.000), this should be the theatrical length

All’ombra di una colt 95min
Per un dollaro a Tucson si muore 85min
Rimase uno solo e fu la morte per tutti 85min (84 according to Marco Giusti’s Dictionary))
Vaya con Dios, Gringo 88min (92 Giusti)
Con lui cavalca la morte 92min
La strada per Fort Alamo 90min

Il pistolero dell’Ave Maria (Forgotten Pistolero) 88min (83 = running time of the Spanish version)
Da uomo a uomo (Death rides a Horse) 120min (the International version is five minutes shorter)[/quote]

Most likely all these runtimes are wrong.

I have also a lot of longer runtimes for different films from the Bruckner book respective from the Anica.it site. Many of them are wrong.

It’s possible, but not sure (the question is extremely complex).

Quote from “Buffalo Bill, Hero of the Far West” thread

But he took these dates mostly if not all from the Anica.It site. And if the relaese dates are as wrong as the runtimes then ...

Maybe some runtimes are wrong, but in most cases non-correspondence is due to shortened versions.

Here is a very interesting and enlightening contribution of late Antonio Bruschini concerning La morte ha fatto l’uovo (1968) by Giulio Questi.
As a result, the recently released DVD… is still cut!

Many are wrong if all the DVDs which are labelled uncut are indeed uncut.

And the differences go in both directions, shorter and longer, and often enough the differences are not only a few min.

The case of La morte ha fatto l’uovo is emblematic: practically all books indicate a 110 minutes running time, but Imagica DVD, Italian VHS and even the new DVD release run about 87 minutes and are labelled as uncut.

Antonio Bruschini studied the case and with documentary evidence (daily newspapers reviews and a copy preserved by Cineteca Nazionale and shown in Rome) proved in a incontrovertible way that the original theatrical version run 110 minutes.

Result: cuts for a total of 20 minutes and even an important character - played by Renato Romano - completely removed.

So to my way of thinking a certain caution is always preferable. :wink:

Well, then where do we get the exact runtimes for SWs, or do you think Anica is already the best place.

But if we believe Anica half of the Koch DVDs are cut.

Since Anica changed their page design i can’t find release dates and runtimes anymore …

For example -

Then i insert ‘Django’ (cerca il film) and get every information about it,except release date and runtime ?

Unfortunately no more information on runtime, but on the other hand date of Board of Censors approval (Visto di Censura) is 100% reliable and can’t be wrong, so for instance we have definitive confirmation Buffalo Bill l’eroe del Far West was released in November '64.

[quote=“LankyFellow, post:34, topic:1995”]Since Anica changed their page design i can’t find release dates and runtimes anymore …

For example -

Then i insert ‘Django’ (cerca il film) and get every information about it,except release date and runtime ?[/quote]

1930-1995 still seems the same.

[url]http://www.anica.it/archivio_b.htm[/url]

Doesn’t film reels have some extra at the beginning and end… and who knows how much extra there is in the final reel at the end once the movie is already over. Or maybe some music over there (some movies on DVD have been released with several minutes of music at the end with black background) that has been removed for DVD release.
Does Anica measure the exact metric length that the movie is or do they just mark the length of the reels in total whatever they contain?
Do they even measure them themselves, maybe they just mark down whatever length the reels claim for the lengths to be?

Sorry to dissent.

Problem is still there are too much differences between the uncut versions and the Anica data. There can’t be that much films which were altered thereafter. As I said there are not only lots of films which are shorter, there are also too many fioms which are much löonger.

A few examples (2nd number is the Anica runtiome):

Massacre at Grand Canyon 89 and 105
Ringo and his Golden Pistol 88 - 104
For the Taste of Killing 87 - 102
Arizona Colt 117 - 101
Death Sentence 94 - 90
The Ruthless Four 106 - 110
The Mercenary 106 - 103
The Forgotten Pistolero 83 - 105
The Price of Power 113 - 108
Dead Men Ride 103 - 96
Life is Tough, Eh Providence? 100 - 87
The Price of Death 93 - 99
Up the MacGregors! 94 - 102

Thanks,Carlos :slight_smile:

With this link i can get the informations about the films in their old style.
But over their homepage its not possible,what i’am doing wrong ?

Inaccuracies are possible, but many fims (not only SWs) were altered/shortened, this is a fact.

And in many cases (to give an example Sette dollari sul rosso - I vigliacchi non pregano - Il tempo degli avvoltoi…) there is total correspondance with Anica data.

Il pistolero dell’Ave Maria - naz.: Italia/Spagna - regía: Ferdinando Baldi - v.c. n. 54830 del 14.10.69 - m. 2882 - ppp: 17/10/69 - c. pr.: B.R.C. - Produzione Film - c. compr.: Izaro Films, Madrid (Spagna).

In Spagna: Tierra de gigantes (Madrid, 02.03.70) - In Francia: Le dernier des salauds (Paris, 1971) - In Germania Occ.: Seine Kugeln pfeifen das Todeslied (10.07.70 - 91’)

Italy m.2882
West Germany 91 minutes…
Don’t you find strange TWO inaccuracies (present-day version runs only 83 minutes)?