Spaghetti Imitations (USA/UK spaghettiesque western)

Didn’t feel like opening up a special topic for Bollywood spaghetti, so here goes a laughable effort:

I have the dvd (Dutch release) up for swap, widescreen and with English subs.

I dare you… no, I double dare you to swap it with me, hahaha.
Oh, did I mention there’s singing and dancing too?

Far out :smiley:

Hi Bad Lieutenant!

Can´t see the pics! :frowning:
Can You give me a link or the title of the film?
Want to laugh, too! :wink:

Doc Simmi

Yeah, I seem to have deleted the pics. Still got the dvd though.
Anyway, the title of the film is Wanted.

Found some elsewhere:

Nice artwork though:

I’ve always thought the Judge Roy Bean could easily be imagined as a spaghetti. With the wild albino character played by Stacy Keach and the mexican villagers. The spectral narrater played by Tony Perkins fits in as well.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:24, topic:1244”]Yeah, I seem to have deleted the pics. Still got the dvd though.
Anyway, the title of the film is Wanted.

Found some elsewhere:

Nice artwork though:

[/quote]

Heh heh heh…
Yeah, this one is almost a complete remake, rip-off, or whatever you want to call it, of GOD FORGIVES–I DON’T…only with song and dance numbers (just like BL said!). They even tried to make the villain look like Frank Wolff!
I have had this one on DVD for a long time.
I actually like the lead actor, Mithun Chakraborty, pretty well…but, not in this film! :wink:
Still, though, I have to confess to enjoying WANTED on many levels!
A fun one to watch!

My favourite Euro Western is probably A Town Called Bastard, which has a fabulous cast (Telly Savalas, Robert Shaw, Martin Landau) and has obviously had a few bob spent on it, but really has a down and dirty Spaghetti-ish flavour.

Decent quality DVDs are available fairly cheaply in 16:9, which involves some cropping.

A new edition is due in June which might be in the correct ratio: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0038KGM5G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004U0JG&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1MPQECJ4996HWYMFRHJM

Would be very nice if this new edition is in the correct ratio.

[quote=“Stanton, post:20, topic:1244”]Dust and dirt was always part of the US westerns. The westerns didn’t got more realistic in the 60s, only more dirty.

SWs are anti realistic. So are most if not all US westerns.[/quote]

I completely agree.

If the US westerns allegedly presented an unrealistic mythology of the West, the Spaghetti Westerns didn’t provide a “correction,” but rather established a new and even more unrealistic myth of the West.

In the SWs (considered as a whole) we see an absurd overabundance of Mexican bandit gangs, almost no cattle or Indians, a West completely centered on the US-Mexico border, a Roman Catholic West, a presentation of “facts” of history and geography which are absolutely laughable, and a level of violence that far out-stripped the “real” West. In many SWs the body count in just one film far, far exceeds the death toll of Dodge City, Deadwood, Tascosa, the Northfield, Minnesota raid, the Johnson County War, the Lincoln County War, either battle of Adobe Walls, and even the Mountain Meadow Massacre! There might be a few where it approaches the Little Big Horn! If the SW West were the “true” story, the place would have been uninhabitable-- a stagecoach ride means near-certain death, small towns emptied of residents by gangs of killers, etc. Nobody would have left the East for such a place. Not to mention small things like impossible shooting skill with inaccurate weapons such as the 1851 Colt Navy and other guns, or the ridiculous stopping-power of Sartana’s small calibre multi-shot derringer.

I like the SWs for the IMAGINATIVE new “myth of the West.”

There’s no doubt for me that the SWs caused a shake-up in Hollywood and many US imitators were released. But few, if any at all, were able to duplicate the feel of a SW. Take “The Hunting Party,” for example. It increased the level of graphic violence, but fails to deliver the quirkiness, black humor or simple “weirdness” of a good SW. Lots of blood and dirt and the lack of clear-cut “good guys and bad guys” are NOT, in my view, the only contributions of the genre. But I do enjoy the over-the-top excesses of Spaghetti Westerns. And I like the style of many SWs. I’ll mention a few-- “Yankee” for its comic book imagery, “Johnny Hamlet” for its colors and settings, its camera work, Stefania Carredu’s face in the mirror, the stairs scene, etc. “Death Sentence” for its psychological violence and interesting, wild characters such as Brother Baldwin. And I must confess to liking the humor in “Companeros,” “Long Live Your Death,” “Train for Durango.”

Some of the SW topics were already present in US westerns in the 1950s. Look at “Vera Cruz”-- (1954) --an early Zapata Western?-- and “Run of the Arrow” (1957) – brutal, dirty, unsentimental and displaying a conflicted hero. Who are the “white hats” there? (If it’s Brian Keith, he was killed.)

I just like them all. If I were to make a Top 20 list of my favorite westerns, US and Italian westerns would come out rather evenly. And every film would be from the 1950s-1970s…

Dead in Tombstone

Mickey Rourke plays in ‘Dutch’ western
Friday, March 16, 2012 | 10:29 | Last updated: Friday, March 16, 2012 | 10:46
text Size

Mickey Rourke. Photo: EPA
LOS ANGELES - Actor Mickey Rourke is to star in Dead in Tombstone, an English version of the western Dutch director Roel Reine. This U.S. media report Friday.

Rourke was known for films such as Nine ½ Weeks, Sin City and The Wrestler. For the last 2 years ago he received an Oscar nomination. Other actors who perform major roles in the film are Anthony Michael Hall (The Breakfast Club) and Danny Trejo (Machete). The recordings begin next week in Romania.

The film is about a criminal who after his death his soul to the devil for revenge.

(some info I gathered here and there)
The western is American production, it will be shot in Roemenia (starting I think in 2 weeks)

Cool news. Seems promising.

trailer “Dead in Tombstone”

Well finally mosied on down to see Django Unchained with the family last night to see what all the ruckus was about and since my expectations, based on my colleagues reviews, was low, I ended up being pleasantly surprised. Is it a serious Western? no, is it a comedy Western? no, is it a picaresque tongue-in-cheek over the top homage to AW’s, SW’s, Blaxpoitation films, and American popular culture, YES!

The theater was packed, young, old, black, white. At the end there was even a scattering of applause. Is it a Great Western no, but it was refreshing to see a non PC Western that wasn’t a remake, wasn’t gnat’s ass historically accurate, wasn’t touchy freely, wasn’t serious in the least. 7-8/10.

It’s of course not perfect, Tarantino borrows a page from Corbucci, it’s about 20 minutes too long and over indulgent. It had quite a few Spaghetti Western references that I caught and probably quite a few that I didn’t, on the first go-round.

The King Schultz character is almost the spitting image and tone of two very similar Franco Nero Spaghetti Western roles, Sergei Kowalski the Polish Mercenary in “The Mercenary” and the Swedish Arms Dealer Yodlaf Peterson, in “Vamos a Matar Companeros” (or Companeros).

You could almost call it a Sauerkraut Western, Waltz is that good. 8)

I think there is one scene in Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid which is clear homage to spaghetti westerns: when Billy escapes from prison and looks at deputy Ollinger on the street we get fast zoom to close-up of Ollinger saying “yeah, he killed me too”.

Speaking on movies that were influenced by SW, Yugoslavian WWII (partisan) movies were called “Yugoslavian westerns”, and the ones that are shot around the time of popularity of SW show SW influences.
For example in movie Most (The Bridge) there is a duel scene on a bridge between main guys, they walk towards each other and even draw machine guns in western style. Scene feels unrealistic and forced into happenings - like many similar scenes in SW. These movies usually had respectful budgets and clear separation between good and bad guys, so influences mainly show in little details like that one. They are also reminiscent of Winnetou movies (although much more adult), not only because they were shot at same locations. Most famous of these movies is Bitka na Neretvi (The Battle of Neretva) with many faces familiar to SW fans: Yul Brynner, Franco Nero, Orson Welles, Anthony Dawson, Howard Ross + German actors like Hardy Krüger and Curd Jürgens, and biggest local stars Bata Živojinović, Boris Dvornik, Ljubiša Samardžić and Milena Dravić.

I don’t see any familiarities between Pat Garrett and spaghetti westerns. Not only a spaghettique, but also unusually slow and atypical American western. Does this scene remind you of something? If Peckinpah used a close-up, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s supposed to be a reference to spaghetti westerns. Sure, Leone influenced many directors as far as filming techniques are concerned, but there wasn’t anything Italian for me in it.

I don’t know, I felt that that one scene was a sort of homage like I said. It is similar for example to a scene from For a Few Dollars More when Colonel Mortimer shoots a guy in Tucumcari. In both scenes the guy is in the middle of the street and we get a zoom on his desperate look on a face, while the other guy is on the other end of the street, holding a gun. I can’t remember if there are any more similar close-ups in the rest of the movie. I didn’t mean to say that the whole movie is direct imitation of SW genre.

The Revengers (1972) fits into this category. After his family is murdered, William Holden gathers together a gang of desperados (one of whom is Woody Strode) to go after them. I remember seeing this movie as a kid and both myself and my brother loving the theme song.

Hey, it was the 70’s and we were 8 and 10 at the time! ;D

How about “The Desperados” starring Jack Palance? Its a 1969 USA movie filmed in Spain. Definitely an attempt to ape a spaghetti western. It was on Encore Westerns tonight. Check it out if you get the chance. Very similar to “The Tramplers”.

Sorry for the last reply to the previous post. I saw The Desperados a while back and thought it was dreadful (and I have very broad tastes!) - a cheap-looking, cack-handed attempt to make a western filled with British actors making a hash of American accents. Shame, as there are a lot of actors I like in the film: Jack Palance, Neville Brand, Sylvia Sims.