Some Dollars for Django / Pochi dollari per Django / Alambradas de violencia (Enzo G. Castellari / León Klimovsky, 1966)

Watched this one with Steffen, his films got an small advantage for me, as the man was Brazilian born, most of his films got Portuguese subs.

Apart from the initial scene, which I almost thought was George Eastman on the donkey, there’s little SW and plenty classic western, so much that I’ve changed the audio to the English track, a rare thing in me cause in most cases I always prefer the Italian language. In a way is not so different from those class B US Western from the fifties/sixties, and as like to watch those as a kid, I liked this one also.

The story is nothing special; some characters seem to be taken out of Rio Bravo, but average stuff. Steffen is bad in a funny way, he just couldn’t handle those more romantic or dramatic scenes, at least the ones where he doesn’t need to look like a ghost of vengeance, but he was funny at least, Wolff was a good actor and he proves it once more here. To my shame I didn’t know the lovely red hair gal Gloria Osuna she was looked great indeed.

It seems that there’s an issue with who directed Klimovsky or Castellari not that it matters to me, but the first one was in my view was a very classic director which check’s out with the film build up, while the last one was a more aggressive director (even if this would be his first film credit), and that more aggressiveness at least matches up with the action scenes, and there’s plenty of those in this flick with fist fights and great shootouts.

One mistake I normally make while watching this films, is that I do it with today’s eyes and perception, we have a lot of information available these days, its easy to know things, for a normal viewer from any European town back in the days, if in the film they say that in Nevada in the last century existed a quarrel between cattle raisers and farmers, they would not questioned the film for that, so I shouldn’t do it either.

The soundtrack was great pretty classic but good to hear

So regular 3 stars stuff, but it did gave me a pleasant view, which is good cause I won’t be watching this again so soon

I just watched this one from the new Echo Bridge 20 film box. I enjoyed it. It’s nothing spectacular, but it’s solid and enjoyable. A good Spaggie for a rainy day. The intro scene was awesome and the movie moved along at a decent pace. The score and the directing however, were both flat and uninspired. Steffen and Wolff are for my money always reliable and enjoyable. 3 stars for me.

Has the Minerva one got English options? I’ve currently got the Ce’st la vie one.

Yeah english dub, I posted the screenshot on the previous page

Better than I expected, this one, judging from other reviews, although I think Klimovsky is usually pretty good. Thought it is certainly worth a watch, not a throwaway. Better than some other Steffen films at any rate.

Good review, watched the movie yesterday.

Like Alberto De Martino’s Django Shoots First, released two months earlier, Some Dollars for Django was retitled to cash in on the success (and notoriety) of Corbucci’s landmark movie Django.

Wasn’t Pochi dollari per Django released before Django spara per primo? “Censura” for León Klimovsky’s film: August 24, 1966 (release date: September 9, 1966); “censura” for Alberto De Martino’s movie: October 21, 1966 (release date: October 28, 1966).

I guess you’re right then.
I’ll check and if necessary will change the info

Some Dollars for Django was retitled to cash in on the success (and notoriety) of Corbucci’s landmark movie Django (1).

The on-screen title says Diango, so with an i. Apparently those responsible for changing the title, felt a little awkward about it.

The Diango mistake is only in the redone credits, the original version is correct. See below

1 Like

New poll on the original post for this one. :arrow_up:

1 Like

Oh and in fact @Carlos has already transformed this film’s page in the database to the new layout a while ago. We welcome corrections, additions and other input of any kind.

1 Like

Touché

Mr Corbett - those redone credits are very odd. Most of it is in Italian but some of it is in English (‘Guest Star’ credit for Frank Wolff). What were they generated for?

What’s cut from the C’est La Vie DVD?

By the way, I agree with the other comments about this film. The scene in which Steffen meets Osuna was especially awkward from Steffen’s viewpoint (whereas she was acting ‘properly’).

I also noticed that Wolff didn’t seem to reload when he was shooting all those guys with the rifle (and had no spare bullets to hand unless in his pocket as he’d grabbed weapon in a hurry), one guy seemed to be shot twice (albeit different angles to try and fool audience) and the corpses kept changing position.

This was censor signed off in August 1966. Probably back track 4-5 months for shooting so probably filmed March-May 1966 (4-6 week shoot erring on the former). So, Django was still unreleased when they filmed this one. Is Regan referred to as Django in any prints? Or was it too late to change the dubbing. In Django Shoots First, released in October 1966, they were able to alter the dubbing and say that Django was his nickname.

Yes, in the Italian version the main character is called Django Regan. Several years ago this was also asked by Stanton in the Real-fake Django(s) thread

At first the title was Ringo non perdona. For this one, E venne un gringo.

It’s not clear, evidently someone who was anything but precise preferred yellow and didn’t like the original font…

2 Likes

Sorry

Ringo non perdonna is which film?

And which film is E venne un gringo?

I’ll try and find the fake Django thread!

‘E venne un gringo’ was changed to ‘Pochi dollari per Django’.

‘Ringo non perdona’ was changed to ‘Django spara per primo’.

Thanks

A bit strange that Django Shoots First was originally a Ringo movie given the main character isn’t called Ringo. The bounty hunter character played by José Manuel Martin in the opening scene is called Ringo but I had assumed this was intended as a joke via the dubbing so that ‘Django’ killed ‘Ringo’ (although Corbucci had already done that one).

This (documented by the censorship certificate) is not surprising considering the great success of De Martino’s previous western 100.000 dollari per Ringo.

On the question of Gemma rejecting De Martino as director there are two conflicting versions in Marco Giusti’s dictionary and in Castellari’s autobiography (Fort Yuma Gold directed by De Martino or Django Shoots First starring Gemma?), but this has nothing to do with Some Dollars for Django with Steffen.

1 Like

According to the Italian censor certificate it was submitted with a German title ‘Nur der Colt War Sein Freund’ .

(This was originally about Few Dollars for Django title also)