Shango / Shango, la pistola infallibile (Edoardo Mulargia, 1970)

I thought this was great, my favourite Mulgaria western and one of Steffens best. Agree with everything in Squonkamaticā€™s review (apart from his love for Django the Bastard).

Was thinking iā€™d be falling asleep halfway through but the film really surprised me, impressive direction and musicā€¦ executed really well.

IĀ“m halway through now. This is a pretty badly written film. The way Steffen gives his gun to Fajardo, just because he had gotten his word is too stupid. Shango is not much of a character anyway, apart from his ability to shoot five or six people in a couple of seconds. This skill is then shown repeatedly over and over, just like the dum-dum-dum-dum musical interlude.

Halfway I know itā€™s about gold, some poor schmucks who donā€™t yet know the war is over, some Mexican bandits and a corrupt major. Itā€™s all thrown together, but not in cohesive fashion.

So far, Iā€™m not impressed. Though there are of course way worse spaghetti westerns. I shall report here again after I finish the thing.

Thatā€™s what I call a ā€œjust in timeā€ report! ;D

Well, I have 9 minutes left now. But IĀ“d rather go to bed. The story is freakinĀ“ horrible. Hopefully there will be a super duper grand finale waiting for me tomorrow. I canĀ“t wait for Fajardo to go schizo, as autephex pointed out. Though I will probably disagree on that. The suspenseā€¦ I hope IĀ“ll be able to catch some sleep at all! Good night and hasta manana.

BLā€¦
I am with you all the way on this one. I have attempted to watch this one twice over the past twenty years and every time, I end up falling asleep or getting too bored to continue. I have seen the whole film, but it has taken multiple sittings to do so.
I think it does, indeed, have a lousy story.

I donā€™t remember it being that bad - but hopefully itā€™ll redeem itself in the last few minutes for ya - short message from me, so as to wish you ā€˜good nightā€™. Goodnight fellah!

Yep its a 5 or a 6 out of 10 for me. Not great stuff. Mulargia, lets just say Iā€™m not a fan of his directorial work in SWs.

Thereā€™s a nice gunfight with a really oddball plot twist I shouldnā€™t tell ;).

I havenā€™t seen this, but was wondering why heā€™s called Shango?

Could it be a take on Django, or is it referring to the Yoruba God of Thunder & Lightning[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shango[/url]?

I belive the first makes more sense for an SW ;D.

My guess is that he was Christened Django and then numerology showed its ugly face.

I viewed Shango a few years ago, and I didnā€™t liked it. But since then I began to like most of Mulargiaā€™s SWs, so this one will get another chance when the Koch DVD is out. Sometimes next year.

No problems with Shango here.

Great spaghetti

I liked its atmosphere, but I get the feeling that somethingā€™s missing. A good effort, far from any top-list of mine though.

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:25, topic:509ā€]BLā€¦
I am with you all the way on this one. I have attempted to watch this one twice over the past twenty years and every time, I end up falling asleep or getting too bored to continue. I have seen the whole film, but it has taken multiple sittings to do so.
I think it does, indeed, have a lousy story.[/quote]
I finished it and I will probaby give it a rewatch in twenty years as well.

Fajardo, out of the blue, goes nuts in the finale. Looked like some weird nervous breakdown to me. Or maybe he had an acid flashback or something. Shango kills a lot of baddies with his, like mentioned, endless supply of bullets. The end. Wow, what an utterly forgettable film, even though Fajardo is alright in this one. Essential viewing though if you wish to see proof that Steffen can smile.
5/10 Could have been better with a decent story, but this really is a jumbled mess that makes very little sense.

[quote=ā€œNovecento, post:29, topic:509ā€]I havenā€™t seen this, but was wondering why heā€™s called Shango?

Could it be a take on Django, or is it referring to the Yoruba God of Thunder & Lightning[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shango[/url]?[/quote]

Since when do spaghettis have to make sense to be good?

I didnā€™t say that, nor do I imply it. But this film only has badly written characters and jumbled story. Shango is some sort of scapegoat, but for what? The gold? But whatever happened to it, then? And these town folk. They all deserved to be massacred, if you ask me. At least that would have been an ok finale.

From what I remember, he was locked up because he knew the news that the war was over and Fajardo doesnā€™t want anyone to knowā€¦ why the didnā€™t just kill him doesnā€™t make any sense, but again, no sense requiredā€¦

Also the Synopsis in the DB appears completely wrong to me.

Fajardo is the one that continues fighting despite the war being over, not Shango. Fajardo is in a place of power and wants to keep it, keeping the townsfolk in the dark so they think the war is still going and Fajardo keeps his power. Shango is a ranger that comes to town and is taken prisoner. He escapes and tries to take down Fajardo and his men, and gets the townsfolk behind him with the knowledge that the war is over, etc.

Fajardo simply snaps at the end, because heā€™s already nuts and its the final breaking point- he has a breakdown and loses it completely

There are plotholes, but the story is much more coherent than many spaghettis, and many of the ones considered genre greats like the Sartana filmsā€¦

[quote=ā€œNovecento, post:29, topic:509ā€]I havenā€™t seen this, but was wondering why heā€™s called Shango?

[/url]?[/quote]

I think he was named after this guy: