Twenty Paces to Death / Veinte pasos para la muerte / Saranda (Manuel Esteba, Antonio Mollica, 1970)

Database page: Saranda - The Spaghetti Western Database

A young half breed (Dean Reed) is rescued from death by a man who takes him in and raises him as his son. When older Reed falls in love with the daughter of the man who rescued him (Alberto Farnese) and eventually has to move out of the family home. Farnese is madly in love with a woman in town who is plotting to ruin him with a man Farnese had wounded many years ago.

Low budget stuff for sure this one but film is only short and has that low key feel to it alot of the time. Like it when Reed calls someone out and says take twenty paces and fire !, hence the title of the film I know this one more by Twenty Paces To Death. Viewed a 1.78 Spanish T.V print which someone audiodubbed into english, and is the best print of the film I have seen so far.

1 Like

Suspect I watched the same fandub you did Ennioo.
Pretty cheap looking production (as youā€™d expect from an Iquino film) but also edited very sloppily which doesnā€™t help it climb above its humble base. I donā€™t mind Farnese, nor Reed for that matter, so I was kept engaged enough and the short running time helped too. Reed plays a half breed which seems to have inspired the make up department to run wild with the fake tan. :o Looks pretty silly but strangely familiar to some of the spray on stuff I see around me in the streets these days. Though that tends to be more of a ā€˜Romford Orangeā€™. Brits among us will know what I mean.

I did admire Reedā€™s running style horse mounting technique though. Very cool and did look like he did it himself. 8)

Overall though a pretty poor affair with the odd highlight.

1 Like

Coincidentally, I also watched a movie with Dean Reed yesterday, Adios Sabata

Never liked him, maybe because of that hair that doesnā€™t seem to fit in a western, but I noticed that he was a better actor than I thought he was. Heā€™s actually quite good in that movie (better than Brynner)

Hard to imagine him as a halfbreed though.
(And Iā€™m clearly not British, because I have no idea what youā€™re talking about)

[/URL] [URL=http://img40.imageshack.us/i/jacksonod.jpg/][url]http://img257.imageshack.us/i/saranda.jpg/[/url]

What happened to you, Michael?
What happened to you, Dean?

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:3, topic:2140ā€]ā€¦Hard to imagine him as a halfbreed though.
(And Iā€™m clearly not British, because I have no idea what youā€™re talking about)[/quote]

Fake tanning has reached genuinely laughable proportions around here Scherp with the young and gullible using skin products in an effort to make themselves look more tanned but instead wind up looking more like an umpah lumpah. Or, if you prefer, a fanatical Holland football supporter. Such a look has now become synonymous with Romford, a town close to where I live.
This little article will explain. And the picture links give you an idea of what I mean.

http://paleskinbeauty.com/self-tanning-safe-sun/tips-to-avoid-bad-fake-tan/

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:5, topic:2140ā€]Fake tanning has reached genuinely laughable proportions around here Scherp with the young and gullible using skin products in an effort to make themselves look more tanned but instead wind up looking more like an umpah lumpah. Or, if you prefer, a fanatical Holland football supporter. Such a look has now become synonymous with Romford, a town close to where I live.
This little article will explain. And the picture links give you an idea of what I mean.

http://paleskinbeauty.com/self-tanning-safe-sun/tips-to-avoid-bad-fake-tan/[/quote]

I will never understand this need for tanning and this speaking from a country where everyone efforts a lot for that propose. Anyway in most cases its only for show off reasons, to appear with a great tan in winter, is like saying to the other poor bastards, see Iā€™ve spend some holidays in Brasil or Cuba etc. even if I donā€™t have money for dinner now, but the last part they wonā€™t tell you.
Anything thatā€™s looks artificial would go bad on a person.

1 Like

The fake tanners in the U.K do make me laugh, and men are not excluded from this fast rising muppet syndrome.

Caramba, Saranda!

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Twenty_Paces_to_Death_Review

1 Like

I couldnā€™t agree more, Phil! :joy:

:joy:

Just to show you how bad it is in this movie ā€¦

2 Likes

No offence taken. This is what I created with another program (Be Funky). The pic only shows part of the original design, btw. I Could have used that too (and still can), but I like these type of filters of Photofunia. Maybe others donā€™t. Letā€™s see what others have to say. I got some good comments elsewhere, so maybe itā€™s a matter of taste

I thought it looked alright scherp, although Iā€™m a bit of a photo-enhancement philistine. I still use ms paint! :smile:

Bad_Lieutenant, give us an example of how it could be improved, give old scherp a pointer or two.

I tried something more in this style for the Arizona Colt review (https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Arizona_Colt_Review_(Scherpschutter):

1 Like

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isnā€™t

Why is this cover so famous? i guess itā€™s the simplicity

At the same time, I donā€™t care for this one:

In my opinion the b/w Arizona Colt pic is something like like an small ad out of a 70ā€™s newspaper. Just a generic western pic which doesnā€™t stand out in any way and not really tempting. Scherpā€™s pic is just good for the purpose, striking colors to get your attention and pic of Gemma which will tell you with just a glance who is the star.

1 Like

I enjoyed this one. Itā€™s a very average spaghetti but it had enough action to keep me watching. Dean Reed looks ridiculous as a halfbreed Indian. I noticed in some scenes, he didnā€™t seem to have much makeup at all (might just be because I watched a VHS) but as soon as they needed to make a comment about his unusual skin tone, they went a bit heavier with the fake tan. That only made it more fun for me.

1 Like

This filmā€™s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. Please help us improve it by contributing to it.