Run, Man, Run / Corri uomo corri (Sergio Sollima, 1968)

Watched this film again recently and I enjoyed it tremendously!

The photography is beautiful in this one, even the landscape is beautiful, not just a flat desert, and of course the music is exquisite!

I really liked the inclusion of Linda Veras as Salvation Army officer, donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen any other SW featuring the Salvation Army?

Milian was great as always, and Donal Oā€™Brien did a great job aswell.

The story is episodic, but works very well for the most part, I only found the shoot-out in the town at the end a bit dull, and we never get to know what happened with some of the characters.

The final duel with the two Frenchmen on the other hand was magnificent, also the location for this was impressive.

A wonderful spaghetti western!

Well I watched this for the first time today - I didnā€™t really know what I would think as it seems to polarize people on this forum. I thought it was quite good although I would rate it the least of Sollimaā€™s spaghettis. Now I have to go watch The Big Gundown againā€¦

4 stars from this gringo!

Youā€™ve got me thinking i may have to watch this one soon. Itā€™s in my pile (which is waaay too long!) Iā€™ve avoided it because much as i love Big Gundown i actually found Milianā€™s character a little irritating. How is he in this one?

I think youā€™d probably have a similar opinion of Cuchillo in this oneā€¦heā€™s always on the verge of going over the top. Truth be told I found Milian irritating at times too, in both of these films.

Thanks for the heads up :wink: And i must stress, itā€™s the character i find annoyingā€¦not Mr Milian himselfā€¦(although, he does come off as a tad arrogant at times :P).

Haha.
Silver, Pacificador is right in my opinionā€¦ Milian plays his character in much the same way as in the Big Gundown. And this movie has no LVC to balance the over-the-top aspects of Milianā€™s performance. Donald Oā€™Brien just canā€™t fill LVCā€™s shoes. That said, there is lots to like about this one. I am about due for a re-viewing myself. I may watch it this weekend. I think you said somewhere that you like Frederico Boido? Well, his part in this one is short but sweet. Somewhere else I called it death by irony. But Iā€™ll bet you remember him in this movie already.

OKā€¦maybe i will dig this one out soon thenā€¦i do have a real soft spot for Fredericoā€¦just a shame he never lasts long in most films!

Naw, he never lived too long but he sure got reincarnated a lotā€¦heā€™s a regular. :slight_smile:

Trueā€¦and still going strongā€¦(or at least the last time i checked!).

Iā€™m going to post here without having read this whole thread so forgive me if I blather about something already mentioned.

I watched this over the weekend for about the 5th or 6th time. I really liked it the first time I saw it (mostly for Chelo, Linda Veras, & the rousing musical score- sung by Milian!). But I have to say, with each viewing my estimation of it declines. It kind of pains me to say it because I consider The Big Gundown to be something of a Spaghetti masterpiece. I wanted to like the sequel as much.

There are lots of problems with this film in my opinion.

1. Donald Oā€™Brien is just not up to the role he plays. He does not have exactly the same role as LVC in Gundown but he comes nowhere close to filling the need. I donā€™t fault him for this though. Iā€™ve seen him enough in other Spaghettis now to know that, no matter what, he was not right for this role. So I fault Sollima for casting him. He should have known better.
  2. Milian is too over the top. I really like him but even I can see how annoying he can be to some fans. His mugging and overwrought performance is just too much, especially without an LVC to offer a counter-balance.
  3. This film is overlong. They could have reduced it by 20-30 minites and it would have been less tedious at times.
  4. It had too many characters. What a busy script. Leone probably would have cut all the scenes with Chelo Alonso. And Linda Veras. Unfortunately, those are my favorite parts!

I loved two scenes, though, for their peculiar natures:

Violence against women and mysogeny are commonplace but there is a scene in this one that offers a really strange take on male/female relations in Spaghettis. Nello Pazzafini is a bandido who travels with his gang north over the border into Texas. He brings along his pregnent wife/partner. In a scene that offers nothing to the plot or story (except to perhaps show how deranged Pazzafini can be) he refuses to let his wife give birth in Texas. She, in labor and in the obvious pain of imminent childbirth, is told by Pazzafini that she must hold the child in for three days, until they return to Mexico. He doesn not want a gringo for a child. It shows, I suppose, his megolamania. But it is a strange scene that could have easily been trimmed. For me, this is the kind of unexpected thing I like. But it does not make it a better film.

Another scene is the one in which Linda Veras goes to sleep in her wagon while listening to Chelo & Milian fuckinā€™ outside. Sheā€™s all tightly encased in her starched white, form-fitting nightgown. As she listens to the passions taking place between the lovers she prays and tightly grips her prayerbook, stroking it. Then she makes the sign of the cross (do they do that in the Salvation Army???) and as she finishes her hand lingers on her breast, fingering ever so slightly her nipple. Only in the Italian west, amigos. Say a prayer for me Linda darlingā€¦

Not that I would have anyone but Chelo, mind you.
And, of course for me, she is the crux of the movie.
But what an amazing performance. I know I have a Chelo Alonso bias but I have to say that this has to be the most physical performance by a woman in a Spaghetti. She is almost always in violent physical confrontation with someone. She is in approximately 10 scenes. In almost every one of them she goes at it. She slaps four different people nine different times. Thatā€™s not even counting the bulk of the catfight she has with Linda Veras where she wrestles on the ground, kicks, bites, and punches. She also shoots a couple of bandidos, handles a horse and drives a buckboard. In many scenes she has to be restrained as she struggles against the confinement. At one point they even have her climbing a rope upward.
I love her for her passion and fire. She is ALIGHT in this movie.
When she is whompinā€™ on Linda Veras she says "Come here, Salvation Army!"
What a woman!

Always thought the film was to long myself and find Milian irritating as hell in this one, vastly overated film in my view.

1 Like

Amen, unfortunately. Sob.

No, no, no, RMR is not too long!

Iā€™ve seen it first in cut down to about 95 or 100 min, and it was a near mediocre film for me.
But since Iā€™ve seen the uncut version RMR has still grown in my respect, and Iā€™ll give it meanwhile a 8/10 (and only 7 SWs get a higher rating).

I like RMR especially in his side ways.

Iā€™m also not a fan of Milianā€™s acting mannerisms, but I tolerate them in his Cuncho role, where they fit properly, in both films.

But I agree that Donald Oā€™Brien has not the stature to make something special out of his part, here LvC would have been clearly preferable. (One of about 239 SWs in which Lee should have been for the better of the films, and also for his career)
But Oā€™Brien is ok, he does not hurt the film.

Oh, and Chelo, well, sheā€™s not one of mine 76 favoured SW actresses.
I absolutely prefer Linda in that austere and tasty uniform, so erotic ā€¦

Yeah I didnā€™t find it long either, itā€™s probably my favourite Sollima movie. Theres alot of great moments and impressive shots (like the windmill)ā€¦ Linda Veras dubbed voice is so annoying though, iā€™m so glad the italian track is available.

Glad to hear there are others who rank this one as Sollimaā€™s best. Excluding the finale of the The Big Gundown, itā€™s just so much more stylish than Sollimaā€™s other two in my opinion.

Personally I prefer the English audio on the Blue underground release, but I take your point.

You are probably right ā€¦

Yeah, this movieā€™s got a couple of hotties. Cheloā€™s not for everybody.
I love it when Linda is all buttoned up in her starched white nightgown, listening to Chelo & Cuchillo going at it. I love the way she fondles her prayerbook and just so slightly lets her fingers pause on her nipple as she makes the sign of the cross.
Quite a great complementary pair Chelo & Linda make. Fire & Ice.

Yes, yes, obviously, fire and ice.

Love that Movie. :slight_smile: Watched the wonderful new Koch Media release with the superb picture quality. The only thing I would like to complain is the length of Run, Man, Run 115 minutes is a bit too long for too less story. I thought the plot has some similiarities to a picaresque novel and it reminded me somehow on the later Companeros. Many interesting characters, great landscapes and funny scenes in that one. IMO a very entertaining movie. 5 Stars. ;D

Why does no-one compare a Fidani to a picaresque novel? His movies are also somehow episodic.
Thatā€™s not fair. Only because someone is called Sollima his movies automatically got literary qualities!