Savage Gringo / Ringo del Nebraska (Antonio Román, Mario Bava, 1966)

I had seen a few weeks ago the Koch Media version of the film.
The film is average. Nothing special, but fairly entertaining.
The figure of Ken Clark (Nebraska Jim / Ringo) is a little too American. He had not the self-interest. He is more of a hero instead of an anti-hero.
The music by Nino Oliviero is ok. But nothing special.
In the end, there are some interesting twists.
It is certainly not a forgotten gem, but there are worse spaghetti western.
Or let’s say, we have seen a another movie of unseen SW . :wink:

Liking this one a lot, my disc is by Luminous and the sound warbles in & out of key, very weird. I agree its pretty ordinary but has this kind of fakeness to it that I identify with. Would be interested in looking at the Koch disc, is there an English option other than subtitles?

No, only subs.

They searched and found Engl. audio, but in the end weren’t allowed to use it for the DVD.

I think that there is a mistake in database.
Livio Lorenzon didnt’t play Marty Hillman and Alfonso Rojas didn’t play sheriff.

Sorry to all those Bava worshippers out there but I felt constantly bored while watching “Nebraska”. :-\

From the DB credits page: the guy on the right is not c.s.c. actor Renato Terra, I identified him a couple of years ago - together with the correct roles for Lorenza Guerrieri and Corinne Fontaine - in Requiescant/Kill and Pray, in which he plays Alonso (see below).
Black and white screenshots are from Pasolini’s Accattone (1961, left) and I due evasi di Sing Sing (1964, right), with Franco & Ciccio.

[/url]

Practically all the pics in the thread below are consequently wrong, with the exception of the Kill or Be Killed one.

[url=http://western-maniac.forum-pro.fr/t1714-second-role-renato-terra]http://western-maniac.forum-pro.fr/t1714-second-role-renato-terra[url]http://postimage.org/[/url]

Does anyone have screen shots or some comments on the picture/sound quality of the Wild East release ? … Thinking of getting it, if it’s decent quality.

Well,… from the 3 that he did this is the better one IMO. But to be honest, Bava’s heart was just never in this genre.

I have seen the film … pretty average, but watchable - Just curious about Wild East’s release.

Yes, a quite simple film which is more or less average. 3/10

Average is 5/10. :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually 2/10 (in a better world)

Aldo, I have the Koch disc so I’ve never watched this but I pulled it out to take a look. The picture is pretty typical WE. It has the same opening credits as KOCH so I would think the source is the same. It’s softer and of course interlaced. The English audio sounds fine to me. The above pic is from the KOCH.

Thank you Carlos :slightly_smiling_face:

Just watched the Wildeast version, … got a reasonably priced copy from ebay.

Wildeast (top) Koch Media (below)

As usual Wildeast have opted for their signature soft-focus look ! Not their worst, but still ,WTF ? The accompanying feature ‘In a Colt’s Shadow’ looks even woollier.

I’d hoped that W.E might have located a reasonable English audio track, perhaps from a 16mm print … but this audio comes from a very noisy VHS source … the dialogue is slightly muffled and the music sounds like it’s going through a flanger pedal, or is having a nervous breakdown … wibbly wobbly etc.

Subtitles fill the gaps for several scenes not dubbed in English, which is much preferable to their more recent and ludicrous home dubbing attempts … ‘Johnny Hamlett’, and ‘The Ugly Ones’, for example.

The dubber has opted to switch to the clean Italian audio track (and once in German) during the non English bits and non dialogue moments - unfortunately there is such a huge gulf between audio quality that this becomes very distracting as it happens multiple times in single scenes. The Italian track is mixed very differently, and has a lot of OTT huffing and puffing during fight scenes, plus other exaggerated sound effects.

One option I’m thinking of doing is downgrading the Italian track to something similar in frequency as the English audio … and then doing a re-mix, as it were.

I like the movie, though it’s nothing special … but it does deserve a little more TLC

1 Like

Wild East…no effort !, stopped buying their discs a while back now.

1 Like

Amazing that their OOP titles are going for huge amounts of money, especially when there are much better quality alternatives available.

Yes I agree.

Well. They have become collector’s items and then the quality itself stops being the only factor. I also pick up every single Wild East release. They have been there since dvd took off practically.

I can’t relate to collecting something that is substandard, and Wild East seemingly makes no effort to improve their product.