Kill and Pray / Requiescant (Carlo Lizzani, 1967)

aka Kill and Pray

I liked this film a lot, I also posted a DVD review on the main page. Check it out. Your opinions?

For more info visit:
DATABASE PAGE: Requiescant - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Give Requiescant your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

I’ve seen this film on vhs, but it was some years ago, I no longer have the film in my collection.

I honestly don’t remember that much about it, but I think I found it pretty boring since I no longer have it :wink:

Didn’t the film have a pretty dull atmosphere, and not even a good score?

I didn’t like it.

I think it’s quite ok. I only have the old vhs version where about 13 minutes are missing but I still liked it. It’s certainly nothing big but good material !!!

I think it was a decent movie and had a few unique moments such as the hangman’s duel in the saloon and the drinking/candle-shooting competition. I watched the Wild East release. (Lou Castel didn’t really have much to add in the interview but I guess it was 35+ years since he did the film!)

Score was alright, nothing special.

Quite unrealistic, though as to how he is “magically” a super gunfighter despite the fact that he was raised by a preacher. I suppose it is all genetics… No training sequence in the movie or anything!

Very good movie, with some odd touches and ideas [Passolini’s speech, the scenes Pacificador mentioned]. I enjoyed it.

Three points out of five… The actors/characters are quite fabulous, yet the film doesn’t really fulfill its potential. It’s totally original and likeable effort, but takes a long time to get going and never achieves the dynamism of, say, the final reel of THE HILLS RUN RED. Potentially great scenes like the weird saloon duel between Requiescant and Ferguson’s blonde henchman seem drawn out and devoid of suspense. Nevertheless I like the slightly unreal atmosphere and characterisation, there’s an air of childlike innocence that mixes surprisingly well with the power to the people stuff.

Is the rumour of Pier Paolo Pasolini directing parts of REQUIESCANT uncredited just one of Tom Weisser’s (author of SPAGHETTI WESTERNS) attempts to make an obscure SW seem more interesting? Lou Castel was asked about this in Kochmedia’s recent BULLET FOR THE GENERAL DVD documentary (a slightly embarrassing moment in the middle of a very good interview) and he didn’t remember anything like that.

He, he, but I would have liked it to see a SW directed by PPP!!! Also one by Fellini and Antonioni.

I liked this film a lot; I saw it on Tele 5 on german television, and like most of the films shown there i have low expectations(exclusions cemtery without crosses and the great silence, which both than were a bit of a disappointment). So I liked this a lot since it has nice ideas and the main character was an interesting idea; i mean a moral guy in a spaghetti come on.
The drinking/shooting game is great and shows how less the villain thinks of other people.

p.s. The main character by lou castel reminded me of the main character in the german movie “die lümmel von der ersten bank”(no alternative english title on imdb) pepe nietnagel. That added to the fact that he is underestimated by his enemies.
Anybody else recognised that, i guess only germans have seen the lümmel films

[quote=“stanton, post:8, topic:323”]He, he, but I would have liked it to see a SW directed by PPP!!! Also one by Fellini and Antonioni.[/quote]I remember reading that Fellini directed few western scenes for his Toby Dammit part in Histoires extraordinaires but they were cut out of the film.

Toby Dammit is a story about an actor who goes to Italy to make catholic spaghetti western financed by church. Terence Stamp is in the main role

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:10, topic:323”]I remember reading that Fellini directed few western scenes for his Toby Dammit part in Histoires extraordinaires but they were cut out of the film.

Toby Dammit is a story about an actor who goes to Italy to make catholic spaghetti western financed by church. Terence Stamp is in the main role[/quote]
I remember reading that Antonioni once considered making a western. TOBY DAMMIT is great and gives a delightful satirical view of Cinecitta gone western mad, there was even a Rick Boyd cameo unless my eyes deceived me. An essential companion piece to the SW documentaries out there.

Definately up there in my book (just missing my top 20 tho’). Damon better here hamming (camping) it up than he was in Johnny Yuma. Better dress-sense and altogether better as a villian I reckon. Some great original touches - love the preacher accidently catching and firing the gun … and then the requiescence after.
It is bizarre - bordering the ridiculous, that the religious Castel character has some (God-given?) gift with a gun … but this has to be one of those films where you have to accept some zanyness. I thoroughly enjoyed most of the main performances - Castel is perfect for me. Damon, pretty good … and his blonde (male) object of affection, magnificently sulky. The flashbacks (a must in this type of film that plays with the s.w. cliches - but also injects some idiosyncratic nuttiness of it’s own) are well done and add much - both in gothic ‘skull-y’ splendour, and in contrast to the beginning of the film.
The finale was as mad, bad and dangerous as I expected it to be, and a perfect end to this slice of spaghetti western lunacy.
I like my s.w. dark, serious, gritty and full of nasty revenge - but I’m happy also to balance that with these more psychedelic offerings … as long as there’s still a good revenge killing to be done.
Not a perfect film - but great enjoyment to be had with a coupl’a beers (just don’t have too many and start shooting the candles on the yule-log tho’). It’ll end in tears. It’s on my Chrissy holiday watch-list.

REQUIESCANT / KILL AND PRAY 1968 Mark Damon Lou Castel

A quality cast adds a lot to this unusual SW that entertains and delivers good thrills.

My vote for REQUIESCANT is 15.5 out of 20 :wink:

Actually my favourite sw.
Love Lou Castells perormence and the gothic atmosphere.

Like the shooting scene in the wine cellar in this one!

I like the whole film and especially MARK DAMON and LOU CASTEL in

REQUIESCANT 1968

The version I have is only 102 minutes. I wonder what was cut.

I included this in my Spaghetti Western Top 20, as it is unusal and atmospheric. I enjoyed it. I downloaded it from the now defunct Demonoid torrent site, like i did with most of my SW Collection.

LOU CASTEL works well with MARK DAMON in this Excellent SW .

I have the original Italian DVD, uncut, remastered from the vaults.

Does anyone know were I can get the Wild East release? I’m having a hard time finding it? I found one on Amazon for 99.00 but…
Thanks[quote=“Lindberg, post:2, topic:323”]I’ve seen this film on vhs, but it was some years ago, I no longer have the film in my collection.

I honestly don’t remember that much about it, but I think I found it pretty boring since I no longer have it :wink:

Didn’t the film have a pretty dull atmosphere, and not even a good score?[/quote][quote=“Sebastian, post:1, topic:323”]Database page: www.spaghetti-western.net/Requiescant

aka Kill and Pray

I liked this film a lot, I also posted a DVD review on the main page. Check it out. Your opinions?[/quote]