Region-Free BluRay players

(Søren) #21

richersounds.com you mean ?

But that player isn’t region free at all ? So what is the point? Or am I missing the point?

(ENNIOO) #22

I assumed by his comment you have to flash the player to enable it to be region free.

(djvaso) #23

Yes, richersounds.com, a typing error.
http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=60:3656

(Søren) #24

But I didn’t think any they sold blu-ray players that could be flashed to be region free on the blu-ray part. As Sebastian writes above isn’t that a hardware constraint now?

Also 130 pounds more or less equals 200 euro so might as well buy an already modified player.

(djvaso) #25

This Pioneer player is not a budget model and received very good review
http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2012/pioneer_bdp450.shtml
The player was made by Chinese company TCL Corporation and I assume that they made unofficial firmware which had been sold for EUR 150 per unit. The firmware is unique for every player because it depends on player’s MAC address and/or serial number. Russians hacked it by reverse engineering and one can got activation code or file from forum administrator. Now, there is no need for this because exists activation-free firmware.

(Sebastian) #26

At some point need to replace my aged BluRay player with something new. Adding some Amazon links to the start of this topic I noticed that there are a lot of multi-region players out there that are 2015 models. That sounds good…

Have a look at:

(Asa) #27

They’re still a lot of money though, aren’t they? Comparative to standard BD player prices, like. And then, once you get a multiregion BD player you’ll start accumulating Region “A” discs. And then, once you’re choc full of Region “A”'s you’ll always have to ensure that you’ve got multiregion functionality. Personally, I’m already far too concerned by the number of R1 DVDs I’ve got, which I now have to factor in every time I change my players. Damn you, Soap! Damn you, Married… With Children! Damn you to Hell, Dog the Bounty Hunter! And you, Echo Bridge and Mill Creek, with your enticing bloody cheapo Spag box sets! :japanese_ogre:

(Sebastian) #28

Well there are sites like http://regionfreemovies.com/ that will try to confirm which discs from other markets are in fact region free. A lot of discs are region free even though the package says otherwise, and then the third thing to watch out is that there are many countries now in B and you can do some research… so there are a lot of ways and a new-Region import is usually the last resort. The players are a bit expensive, but for a cineast who uses that thing everyday, it is not that much money

(Sebastian) #29

(Sebastian) #30

(Sebastian) #31

Finally circling on on upgrading… considering a Sony BDP-S3500, does anyone have experience with that model?

Well I’ve been using the model below that (the S3200) for a couple of years now. And it’s one of the best things I ever bought.

(Mark) #33

I’ve been using a region free S1500 for awhile now and am quite happy. The S3500 is supposedly more mid-line in the x500 series, although a main difference seems to be wi-fi capability, which I don’t care about… I’ve been thinking about purchasing a S3500 (region free of course) from a reliable seller on ebay. I believe the S3500 is sold by some without power supply so buyer beware.

I see the Sony S1700 is going for $57 postpaid on Amazon now.

Addition: I’m not going to buy yet another machine and start buying the films all over again. I am satisfied with the DVD quality of Koch, Eureka, WE and others and I lack good (or any) copies of only a handful of top 150 SWs which interest me (e.g. Quanto costa morire?, Nevada, God Forgives, I Don’t, El Puro, Long Days of Vengeance, Requiem for a Gringo).

It seems clear that the market is moving toward BR from the increasing number of dual DVD/BR releases and that Amazon recommendations to me in this field are mostly BRs.

(Sebastian) #35

But there still are three regions :wink:

Personally, I want a region free BR player to enjoy some hong kong imports of restored John Woo etc movies there and so forth

(Søren) #36

But isn’t Hong Kong also region A ?

I went for a region A Sony S1700. Great little player and much faster than my 6 year old LG region B player.

(Sebastian) #37

Exactly, but I live in Region B

(Søren) #39

But then you only need a Region A player and not a region free one surely!? Region A players are more affordable. Thought for a minute that Hong Kong discs were Region C.

(Sebastian) #40

Well I’d still need a Region B player too :slight_smile:

(Asa) #41

That’s what he’s getting at, Seb. He’s saying it’d be cheaper and easier to keep your region B player and add a region A player to it than to replace your region B player with a multiregion machine.

It doesn’t solve the issue of region C discs of course but I guess the size of that problem depends on how many Russian/Chinese/Indian blu-rays one might own/wish to own.