Progressive Rock Appreciation Thread

After all the prog-bashing in the other topic i felt we’re in a serious need for prog appreciation topic :stuck_out_tongue: So, let us gather here fellow prog-lovers. Some of my favorite classic prog acts are: Pink Floyd [PF memebers’ solo stuff as well], Marillion, Rush, King Crimson, Van Der Graff Generator, Peter Gabriel [i’m not too fond of his Genesis stuff]. The newest stuff i like and would consider prog are: Porcupine Tree, Tool, The Cooper Temple Clause, Pure Reason Revolution, Riverside, Collage, Mew, The Mars Volta.
What are yours? :wink:

Oh, I like Tool ! Undertow/Sober

Mine are Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Tool, Queensryche, The Mars Volta, King Crimson, Rush, Marillion, Mogway, Mono (Japanese), Van der Graaf Generator and related things like Radiohead, Muse, Placebo …

I can appreciate some things of groups like Yes and Genesis, but they’re no special favourites
A bit too … well, just a bit too

Prog bashing? Did I miss something?

You did

It started on the thread

Do spaghetti westerns and girlfriends go together ? Page 5, Tigero’s post

It was a fierce battle, the forum will never be the same again, there are progs and punkers, progmen and punkfrogs and …

see for yourself …

(You can’t leave this forum for two weeks without missing some vital information, Stanton, thought you knew that)

Oh my god, oh my god …

God?

Is he a progger or a punker? That’s the question

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:7, topic:1163”]God?

Is he a progger or a punker? That’s the question[/quote]

A rapper

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:7, topic:1163”]God?

Is he a progger or a punker? That’s the question[/quote]

Well one thing’s for certain, he ain’t gonna be too pleased with that Norwegian Black Metal scene - Burzum and Count Grishnackh, and all that church burning. Mind you, I think even he/she (pc ehh?), would prefer this stuff to Jesus-rockers Stryper with their To hell With The Devil soft-rock bollocks :P.

I had our Good Lord/(Lady ???) down as more of a Memphis Soul boy … (I’m getting sick of this pc stuff - he’s a bloke!!)

Anyway, Van Der Graaf Generator are the only proggers that have stayed with me over the years. And i still play the early-ish stuff (along with early Peter Hammill) regularly.

But Van der Graaf Generator were on the edge of prog rocking with their punkish attitude.

Their concerts were often pure madness, with an infernal stream of music accompanying Hammill’s extreme singing, driving half of an unexperienced audience out of the hall.
Led Zep sounded tame against them.

Agreed. Great but understandably not to everyone’s taste. Still Life (VDGG) and Fool’s Mate (PH) still favorites …
(Led Zep still count as the best live act I’ve seen tho’ - maybe because of the whole ‘event(s)’ - friends I went with and adventures on the way etc.) … including going with the fellah that runs this site below…

This is one of my best friends’ websites. (We were at school together, and he wrote the book that I ended up doing the cover for.)

I love me my prog rock! In fact, I run an Indie prog record label: www.10trecords.com

Been into it since the heyday of the scene in the 70s and continue to support it at the festivals around the US. You’ve got some very nice current tastes on display there alk0!

I thought this is the right place to post it:
Today Richard Wright the Pink Floyd’s keyboard player died after a battle with cancer. Pink Floyd is my fave band of all time so i have to admit it made me feel very sad :frowning:

[quote=“alk0, post:13, topic:1163”]I thought this is the right place to post it:
Today Richard Wright the Pink Floyd’s keyboard player died after a battle with cancer. Pink Floyd is my fave band of all time so i have to admit it made me feel very sad :([/quote]

I’ll be listening to tracks like Us and Them, The Great Gig in the Sky and A Saucerful of Secrets tonight

I will as well. And i will listen to his solo albums too, to honor his great work.

[quote=“alk0, post:13, topic:1163”]I thought this is the right place to post it:
Today Richard Wright the Pink Floyd’s keyboard player died after a battle with cancer. Pink Floyd is my fave band of all time so i have to admit it made me feel very sad :([/quote]

Sad day. RIP Richard Wright

As is well documented on this forum I have never been a prog rock fan. But for the benefit of those here who are I thought you might be interested in this.

The BBC have just aired a documentary on british Prog Rock called Prog Rock Britannia (part of an extended series they have made on various music movements in the UK, Jazz Britannia, Folk Britannia etc etc). Anyway, I watched it last night and thought it was quite interesting. Not likely to convert me to the music but worth a watch I thought. Anyhow, here’s the link. You can still see it on iplayer until Jan 14th I think.

P.s. They also showed a Pink Floyd documentary as part of the same season but think that had been on before. It’s probably available for rewatching too. Just check the BBC website

My current favorites are Mogwai - which is actually my overall favorite band right now, excellent instrumental prog/post rock… and Explosions In The Sky- who are admittedly (and obviously) heavily influenced by Mogwai, which some people have a problem with but is perfectly fine with me. Both put on an excellent live performance

I like:

The Mars Volta
King Crimson
KRAAN
PFM

I am not a huge Prog Rock fan but I have gotten into the Finnish Band Orne. If you are familiar with Reverend Bizarre you should check them out.