Pray to God and Dig Your Grave / Prega Dio … e scavati la fossa! (Edoardo Mulargia, 1968)

Not only Robert Woods says the film was directed by Fidani, the editor Piera Bruni even told Marco Giusti she has never worked with Mulargia!

On the other hand story and screenplay writer Fabio Piccioni says the opposite… ???

All these SWs for which the participants say absolutely different things who made was. Incredible …

Well, I’m not sure if I can recognize a Mulargia film by its directing style, but if the only choices are Fid or Edoardo, my guess is easy. The acting and camera work is miles above the Fiddler’s works.

If it was directed by Fidani it would have been his first Spag.

It was me who asked Robert Woods if this film was directed by Fidani. For me it has FD written all over it and Woods confirmed it was indeed his film. He also told me in the interview I did with him some time back that it was, in his opinion, some of the director’s best work. He didn’t specify at the time who he was talking about but it got me thinking. His statement would fit with it being a Fidani film, not a Mulargia.

Besides, Jeff Cameron has a lead role. What more evidence do you need? :wink:

Edit: It also has FD credited as producer. What other films can you think of that Fidani produced but didn’t direct?

But Cameron is pretty good, while he was terrible in the Fidani films, and despite the stupid ending many parts of the film mare well directed, while I have never seen any well directed scenes in any Fidani.

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:21, topic:1540”]the editor Piera Bruni even told Marco Giusti she has never worked with Mulargia!

On the other hand story and screenplay writer Fabio Piccioni says the opposite… ???[/quote]

I’m sure that the ending was altered against the original intentions. At least as the ending doesn’t make much sense it seems likely.

So maybe Mulargia was fired and the film changed then. Maybe re-shot in parts. Maybe cut to pieces. Or both. Or maybe Fid had a comparatively good day while directing the whole thing.

Whatever it is a good film.

Do not mind Cameron in the Fidani films, but usually have alot of fun with Fidani films.

Lots of music styles on the soundtrack, but just did not seem to fit to the film most of the time. Woods like some of his other westerns plays a Mexican, but not quite as slant eyes as in the Pecos films. Woods is good, but does not have the same impact on me as usual. Film was over to quickly for me, but some good scenes though. But there is just something missing for me in this one.

http://www.nocturno.it/(X(1)S(q4txa25521shee455kpl04zp))/intervista.aspx?id=Demofilo-Fidani

1986 interview with Demofilo Fidani

Then you moved on to direction …
As a director I started with a film that then was signed by another person, Prega Dio… e scavati la fossa/Pray to God and Dig Your Grave (in fact, signed by Edward G. Muller, Edoardo Mulargia, but produced by Fidani for Mila Film)

There was Robert Woods …
Yes, Franco Villa was the camera operator. The second was Straniero… fatti il segno della croce!/Stranger, Say Your Prayers!, the third Ed ora… raccomanda l’anima a Dio!/And Now… Make Your Peace with God.

It still isn’t directed like a Fid film

But this makes sense for me. That the film was cut without any Mulargia involvement. Would fit my theory that the ending was altered.

Yeah, some of the music doesn’t fit in this… that happy trumpet theme drove me crazy, i’ve heard it in another SW before.

The only memorable things for me in this are the kid nearly getting shot, and the duel at the end.

Maybe would like it more with a better looking version… but Mulgarias’ weakest for me, if its not a Fidani.

Did you view a VHS sourced version then ?

Yeah, it had Norwegian subtitles. I wouldn’t expect to see a better version, its fine.

An amateurish effort that has very little to offer even to the die-hardest of fans. Hard to believe it’s from the same man who gave us a film like El Puro. Jeff Cameron looked kinda funny as the mexican bandit. The score was all over the place but it had its moments, possibly the best aspect of the film along with the two good looking females (Lea Nanni and Cristina Penz). Not much to recommend here I’m afraid.

Really?

Perhaps you are just watching with bias against Fidani and missing some good stuff, which you can see in this one because its not labeled Fidani :wink:

Just came across this bit of trivia today and noticed its not mentioned in the DB entry. Should it be updated to reflect this info?

I would say ‘go for it’ or at least a note.

We should stay with the Official credits, unless it is very sure that it all was different.

But a note is appropriate.

I still doubt it for this one judging from what I see on the screen.

I’ll have to watch it again and see what I think. Viewed it once, and the DVD cover lists Fidani as the director- I believe I watched it then thinking it was a Fidani. Sometimes its hard to remember with all these spaghs though

I was going to go ahead and insert a note on the DB page, but perhaps Phil would like to write this note since he’s a more knowledgeable source on the subject?

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:21, topic:1540”]Not only Robert Woods says the film was directed by Fidani, the editor Piera Bruni even told Marco Giusti she has never worked with Mulargia!

On the other hand story and screenplay writer Fabio Piccioni says the opposite… ???[/quote]

Jonathan, we don’t have Piccioni in our database for this film. Wrong name? Or is he the uncredited writer, or has the database wrong data?

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Prega_Dio…_e_scavati_la_fossa

It seems that Corrado Patara was only co-producer together with Fidani and the real writers were Edoardo Mulargia, Nino Massara (as Nino Masson) and - anonymously - assistant director Fabio Piccioni.

Have someone here this english widescreenversion ? Cause I want a few informations about it, what’s the runtime, btw is it longer than the Fullscreen print and does it have the same cut ? Thanks for all infos ! :slight_smile: