Pistoleros / Ballata per un pistolero (Alfio Caltabiano, 1967)

ok then. Yugoslavia

I have rewatched this today. My former German version was heavily cut concerning the violence, but there are some sound cuts which indicate that in this version still a few seconds are missing (in the scene with the harpoon).

Nice and entertaining film, which despite a few flaws had a fine flow. I see this film very similar to what Scherp has written at the beginning of this thread.

I think I’ll rewatch it today as well. Have not seen a real Spaghetti in a while (except for sonny and Jed last night)

The first 30 minutes makes you feel you’re watching remake of For a Few Dollard More. There’s so many similarities, almost identical scenes. But after that the film takes different turn. Ghidra is really good here and is really stealing the show from other actors. Good strong 3 star movie for me, recommended

easy a masterpiece!! for me ok, i like the films nonstop!! not boring dialogs 8)

I just got the Wild East disc and watched it last night. Pretty entertaining. I loved Ghidra in this one, but Infanti was stiff as board to me though. Story wise it was pretty good. nothing special, except the very end wich was surprising.

The highlights for me were the gunplay (Ghidra shooting behind his back!) and the locations. I’m still surprised that it was filmed in Yugoslavia and not Almeria. Gorgeous scenery. 3 stars for me.

Ghidra shooting behind in his back it’s not very surprised, franco nero was also shoot from behind in texas adios and also gemma in

Vivi o, preferibilmente, morti

I remember Nero shooting behind his back in Texas Adios. I haven’t seen Alive or Preferably dead yet. Nero shooting behind himself in Django was also sweet. I love cool looking “shots” :smiley:

alive or rreferably was total bore thank god i see this on youtube i save my money :-[

To obtain the original ‘T’ rating there were cuts in three scenes:

The body falling to the ground after the stabbing
and
Al Northon/Caltabiano cleaning the blade on the dress of the second stagecoach passenger were cut.

[/url]

The pierced body behind the folding screen was censored.

[url]http://postimage.org/

In the sequence inside the mine the arrival (from the viewpoint of the victim?) of the spear was cut and the spinning wheel scene was shortened.

Decent, but unremarkable effort. I’ve spotted couple of familiar Croatian/Yugoslavian faces and locations.

The cuts were obvious, you can easily see that something’s missing in these scenes. This is a good film, nice action scenes and good cast. I had totally forgotten this Explosion guy, funny character. The saloon fight is the low point of the film where it suddenly lapses into stupid comedy. Btw, does the WE disc have brief audio drop outs here and there? Or maybe my dvd player or tv didn’t work properly.

No, it has audio drops, or some of the dialogue wasn’t covered in the dub. That’s one of the reasons i’d like to watch the movie in Italian, but I haven’t found a copy yet. There is an Italian DVD and I ordered it a couple of years ago, but then for some reason my order was cancelled.

Pity the Wild East print doesn’t include the Italian soundtrack:

It sounds much better in my opinion.

1 Like

I rewatched this to find out if it gets better. Well it does not. The movie looks awfully cheap with its weird colours, poor interiors and not very convincing costumes. The direction could help to overcome this issue but it is mediocre at best, so no help there. I did not find any memorable scenes in the movie and because of the low budget I constantly had the feeling there was something missing. I liked the musical score though, which is simply the best part of the movie and Croatian locations (my fav. summer destination) are great too. The ending falls apart, it hurts to watch the lame flashback from the past and the duel is there just to make the final point.

I needed a Spaghetti fix so I re-watched “Pistoleros”. Really good and entertaining just the way i like it. My favorite ( Anthony Ghidra ) for sure.

1 Like

Watched this on YouTube. A poor man’s For a Few Dollars More indeed. I’d get the Wild East DVD if it wasn’t £200 on Amazon.

Someone buy me this please.
Thanks.

1 Like

Too bad this title never got released by anyone else.

And people are asshole for selling their used copy for 200 dollars.

2 Likes

Can’t believe there still hasn’t been another English friendly release.

1 Like