Pictures

(Sebastian) #1

I start this topic to discuss a possible image use policy for the database.

aspects we should consider are:
a) file size
b) file types
c) image sizes for 1) dvd covers 2) posters 3) screenshots 4) people pictures 5) soundtrack covers
d) copyright matters
e) image descriptions

(Musket) #2

On point: c)1)
i think those sizes like this one

are ok.It shows everything you need to find it in stores or somewhere elses.

(Sebastian) #3

that is 122px wide, yeah. I think we could agree on a 120px width policy for dvd covers

(Sebastian) #4

and I think the 150px width for posters that are on an article main page are also reasonable.

we need to consider normal pictures as well, that are posted in the /pictures subpages. some are really large. we need to come up with general rules for maximum height and width, and file size as well. or else in some months we will have huge amounts of stuff to deal with

(Sebastian) #5

http://www.westernposterpage.com/italianpage.htm

we have been allowed to use their pictures, so lets see which ones we already have and which ones we can really use of those

(Musket) #6

you said we should talk about the Pictures…
What max size are we allowed to use ?? and what about the minimal sizes ??
It’s also importent to talk about the copyright.( http://fistfulofwesterns.com/ has a problem with all the Copyright things thats because i mentioned this :’( …)

(Sebastian) #7

yeah we should be careful about where we get pictures from.

My suggestion:
120px wide for dvd covers
150px wide for movie posters on article main pages
350px wide for pictures like posters and screenshots in pictures subpages
140px wide for soundtrack/cd covers

(Sundance) #8

I’m not really sure if the copyright is a problem though. I know fistfulofwesterns just won a case but it was about the text on his site far as I know. I know the guy keeping the site doesn’t want others to use the images there without permission… BUT… I would think those things (lobby cards, posters) on his site and other sites would be copyrighted to someone else (and even if they aren’t, I wonder if anyone actually knows for sure ;D ). Just because someone scans or takes a photo of something doesnt really make him the copyright owner of the poster art or lobby photos, so how can anyone ask somebody else to respect scan copyrights if the scan itself is already illegal?

Yet personally I always try to (If I know who has made what) give credit to original scanners and even ask for permission and would recommend this site (and everyone) to do that as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

But still, I would like to see someone trying to sue somebody over a lobby card scan while the lobby card itself is actually copyrighted to some movie corporation and have been scanned and published on the internet without asking permission. ;D

Maybe fair use laws might make it legal to display somekind of scans, but if the copyrights still remain in whoever owns the art or photos I wonder if the scanner can actually have any kind of power to who uses the scan.

Not that I know for sure, so anyone is welcome to correct me.

(Sebastian) #9

yeah that sounds sensible. yet some caution might be wise…

(Musket) #10

You know why the resizing isn’t working?I tried it,but it ins’t workling( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Picture_tutorial )
???

(Sebastian) #11

yeah i tried that. i will download the picture, cut and resize it and re-upload. don’t worry, I can do that maybe next week or so i dont know…

(Musket) #12

hey seb i think we should do some “rules” about the uploading Pictures.For example:

1. A max size we use on a movie article
  2. How many pics we use a movie article
  3. Always using a frame
    4.How to create a /pictures page

???

(Sebastian) #13

[quote=“Musket, post:12, topic:330”]hey seb i think we should do some “rules” about the uploading Pictures.For example:

1. A max size we use on a movie article
  2. How many pics we use a movie article
  3. Always using a frame
    4.How to create a /pictures page

???[/quote]

My suggestion:
120px wide for dvd covers
150px wide for movie posters on article main pages
350px wide for pictures like posters and screenshots in pictures subpages
140px wide for soundtrack/cd covers

and we can use a frame for the main movie page, but i also sometimes just create a table with a frame and put the image in there, as you can see on the top20 films’ pages already…

(Musket) #14

Sounds good,what about the number of pics we use on a movie page,because for example here http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_spara_per_primo we now have two on one page.Perhaps we should say that if there are more than one pictures,then create a /Picture Page…

(Lode) #15

Oh no. We need one picture for the main article and all other pics come into this subpage. Because it isn’t beautiful anymore if there are 2 pics on the main page.

(Sebastian) #16

yeah one really good quality picture for a film’s main site is good and all the rest on a pictures subpage

(Sebastian) #17

unused pictures:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Special:Unusedimages

we should see which of those we don’t need, and which ones we have to add to pages

(Bill san Antonio) #18

Why can’t I re-upload any images? I got error every time.

(Sebastian) #19

can you post the error?

btw, I am aware of a number of problems. I’m trying to fix them but my skills are rather limited in that area

(Bill san Antonio) #20

[quote=“Sebastian, post:19, topic:330”]can you post the error?

btw, I am aware of a number of problems. I’m trying to fix them but my skills are rather limited in that area[/quote]
Internal error

Could not rename file “/var/www/web15/html/images/2/20/No_Room_To_Die.jpg” to “/var/www/web15/html/images/archive/2/20/20070906212030!No_Room_To_Die.jpg”.