Once Upon a Time in the West: Shooting a Masterpiece (Christopher Frayling)

Yes, almost exactly. I hope it’s not only a rehash of material from Frayling’s other books.

I’m still reading Something to do with Death and it’ll be fresh in my mind when this comes out. So a rehash would be rather disappointing.

Apparently based on set photographs by Angelo Novi:

I was about to buy this book - do you know if it is available in a hardcover in English?

Thanks,

I couldn’t find a hardback version, but it would be nice since the spine on mine is getting worn very easily.

Needless to say I highly recommend the book.

1 Like

Thanks for the information! And this thread from 2015 is almost a sort of teaser for the upcoming
book: Behind the Scenes (Once Upon a Time in the West).

Only as softcover/paperback: first edition 2000, Faber & Faber; new edition 2012, University of Minnesota Press.

Essential reading. And very entertaining.

1 Like

Despite the couple of errors (Leone being in Cemetery Without Crosses, Volontè doing his own dubbing), an absolute wealth of information.

2 Likes

Should be out by now but isn’t. New publication dates given on various websites are a total mess, ranging from October 2018 to May 2019. According to user Le Bon on the Sergio Leone Web Board, “it will now be out March/April.” Taking into account that its publication was first announced around spring 2016, the book’s title has been changed to Everything and More: Publishing Once Upon a Time in the West: Shooting a Masterpiece, a Compact History of Infinity.

I have just 1 chapter left to read but it has been very enjoyable.
I marked the comment about Leone playing a role in a movie and was going to check it out - no need now.

Another error - the book says that the Irish part of Duck you Sucker was shot in County Wicklow - it was shot in Howth Castle, County Dublin.

3 Likes

I liked the part where John Ford fanboy Peter Bogdanovich called Leone, Spielberg & Lucas jerk-offs.

2 Likes

So April 2019, eh?

And finally has a page in the Db:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Once_Upon_A_Time_In_The_West:_Shooting_a_Masterpiece

1 Like

another great excert

https://ascmag.com/articles/shooting-once-upon-a-time-in-the-west

2 Likes

According to the lead-in to that excerpt, the book is “to be released on April 23.” :+1:

My copy arrived yesterday. Still haven’t taken the cellophane off yet.
It’ll be my Easter treat. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Only had a chance to give this a quick flick through so far but it looks like a very good thing indeed. I will do a proper review for the DB soon but so far I would say it is well worth the money.

2 Likes

Cheers for the heads up. I’ll buy this first thing when I get paid.

Someone pay this man. Pronto.

1 Like

My favourite Western, threatened only by TGTB&TU. I would love to get this book but at $109 on Amazon I’ll pass. I have a family and would be buried under the patio if they ever found out that I had even thought of purchasing this wonderful book. C’est le vie.

under the floordboard that says Arch Stanton written in a kiddie crayon?

1 Like