Once Upon A Time... Casting Challenge

Okay, Taylor was too old and fat in '68, and with such a husband, a diet wouldn’t have helped.
So I skip Taylor and Burton.

Still looking for a good Cheyenne. Peter O’Toole maybe.

For Jill I need a big name. I know Giovanna, Susan and Nicoletta are all fabulous women, but they’re not what I’m looking for. I’ll have to go for Sophia Loren then. Jeanne Moreau was too old in '68. Bardot doesn’t fit the part. Ursula Andress could be a possibility, but I think she’s too blond. Raquel? No, she already did a No Name impersonation.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:21, topic:2954”]Still looking for a good Cheyenne. Peter O’Toole maybe.

For Jill I need a big name. I know Giovanna, Susan and Nicoletta are all fabulous women, but they’re not what I’m looking for.[/quote]

But AngelFace in the beginning proposed to choose a cast based on a small budget and using only SW actors, while you are working on a real alternative cast without budget limitations!

[hr]

To Stanton’s great delight, alternate Fidani only casting:

Frank (Henry Fonda) - Klaus Kinski
Harmonica (Charles Bronson) - Jeff Cameron
Cheyenne (Jason Robards) - Hunt Powers
Jill (Claudia Cardinale) - Mariella Palmich
Morton (Gabrielle Ferzetti) - Ettore Manni

And for the opening sequence you can replace Jack Elam, Al Mulock and Woody Strode with Gordon Mitchell, Peter Martell and Lincoln Tate from Era Sam Wallash! … Lo chiamavano… E Così Sia!: a fine trio they are! ;D

Try Hardin in the Henry Fonda role.

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:22, topic:2954”]But AngelFace in the beginning proposed to choose a cast based on a small budget and using only SW actors, while you are working on a real alternative cast without budget limitations!

[hr][/quote]

Didn’t notice that (sorry Angel Face).

I can keep Yul, after all he was in Adios Sabata
In that case Nicoletta is the only possible Jill
Salerno still Morton

Frank & Cheyenne: that’s more problematic. Steffen as Frank: No way. Gemma? No (He may play Timmy). Sancho: Never!

Ci devo pensare

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:24, topic:2954”]Didn’t notice that (sorry Angel Face).

I can keep Yul, after all he was in Adios Sabata
In that case Nicoletta is the only possible Jill
Salerno still Morton

Frank & Cheyenne: that’s more problematic. Steffen as Frank: No way. Gemma? No (He may play Timmy). Sancho: Never!

Ci devo pensare[/quote]

No Big name American imports allowed. So no Yul, LVC, coburn etc…

James Coburn would have liked him in the Charles Bronson role, but guessing it would be to much cash. So like Jonathan says Jeff Cameron would be a good option.

I see some really good choices being mentioned.

Here is my alternative picks in case Steffen, Hilton, Ghidra are asking for too much.

Frank: Robert Woods
Harmonica: Richard Harrison
Cheyenne: Piero Lulli
Jill: Rada Rassimov, she might do just as good as Nicoletta.
Morton: I like Rutledal’s choice of Antonio Casas but since thats already been taken I’ll go with Peter Carsten.

3 goons at the trains station:
Rick Boyd
Aldo Sambrell
Nello Pazzafini

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:25, topic:2954”]No Big name American imports allowed. So no Yul, LVC, coburn etc…[/quote]Although not a U.S. import wouldn’t have Sophia Loren been too expensive too?

Yul’s not American either :wink:

@ Col. - Agree about Rada, but I still go for Nicoletta. No Yul? Sh…!

Terence Hill at the time could have been good choice for Harmonica.

Harmonica: Craig Hill - He doesn’t look like Bronson, but he has the same look in his eyes, as if he’s not sure he’s in the right place.
Frank: George Martin - My wife thinks he’s a very charming fellow, and I think he can really look mean, if he wants to
Cheyenne: I took Salerno away from Morton, I think he can be a good Cheyenne too
Morton: Frank Wolff - Instead of going to the well, he may crawl to a puddle of muddy water this time
Jill: Nicoletta - La principessa della famiglia

Probably, but interesting choice. A firm woman, but easy on the eyes.

An interesting poser which I have been ruminating for the past couple of days.

My first thoughts for Frank were dominated by the ‘Fonda’ idea of revealing an unexpected face at the McBain’s ranch so initially thought of Gemma or Nero. But a key point for Frank has to be his age. He is supposed to have killed Harmonica’s brother many years ago. (15 or more?) so either of my first choices would be far too young. So, if what is required is a familiar western hero of a certain age we are pretty much lost in Spaghettiland in 1968 as all the heros are too young and, by the rules of this contest, we are not allowed imports. Based on that, I have forgone the ‘reveal’ and just opted for an older actor who had the gravitas to carry off the part of Frank and who would fit with the tone of the film. Anyway, for what it’s worth, here’s my selection.

Frank: Enrico Maria Salerno (for all of the above reasons)

Harmonica: Tomas Milian (The part would insist on a restrained performance from Milian and he would be all the better for it)

Cheyenne: Frank Wolf (I’m thinking Bill San Antonio with a softer side)

Jill: Nicoletta Machiavelli (My heart wanted to say Rosalba Neri who I think was a far better actress than she was usually given the opportunity to be but, on reflection I have to follow the pack and say Nicoletta. She had a far more vulnerable look along with a hint of steel which the character of Jill needs to work properly)

Morton: Eduardo Fajardo (An obvious choice really. Just imagine Eddie in that back brace with the oiled down hair. Plus, he delivers a Spanish name for the co production requirements. :slight_smile: )

If, on the other hand, the rules changed and we get a call from MGM saying they will back the film but it has to be shot in Hollywood with American stars my casting would look like this:

Frank: James Stewart (the same age as Fonda and an even bigger shock in store at the McBain ranch)

Harmonica: Paul Newman (Perfect for the strong and silent type carrying a grudge. Think Hombre)

Cheyenne: Lee Marvin (no need for explanation)

Jill: Angie Dickinson (Perfect for the whore who wants better. I can see her now in the soft focus bed scene with Frank)

Morton: Jack Hawkins (This is an American film don’t forget, so at least one of the villains has to be British)

1 Like

WTF you mean I can’t cast Peter Lee Lawrence as Frank? :wink:

[quote=“Phil H, post:33, topic:2954”]An interesting poser which I have been ruminating for the past couple of days.

My first thoughts for Frank were dominated by the ‘Fonda’ idea of revealing an unexpected face at the McBain’s ranch so initially thought of Gemma or Nero. But a key point for Frank has to be his age. He is supposed to have killed Harmonica’s brother many years ago. (15 or more?) so either of my first choices would be far too young. So, if what is required is a familiar western hero of a certain age we are pretty much lost in Spaghettiland in 1968 as all the heros are too young and, by the rules of this contest, we are not allowed imports. Based on that, I have forgone the ‘reveal’ and just opted for an older actor who had the gravitas to carry off the part of Frank and who would fit with the tone of the film. Anyway, for what it’s worth, here’s my selection.

Frank: Enrico Maria Salerno (for all of the above reasons)

Harmonica: Tomas Milian (The part would insist on a restrained performance from Milian and he would be all the better for it)

Cheyenne: Frank Wolf (I’m thinking Bill San Antonio with a softer side)

Jill: Nicoletta Machiavelli (My heart wanted to say Rosalba Neri who I think was a far better actress than she was usually given the opportunity to be but, on reflection I have to follow the pack and say Nicoletta. She had a far more vulnerable look along with a hint of steel which the character of Jill needs to work properly)

Morton: Eduardo Fajardo (An obvious choice really. Just imagine Eddie in that back brace with the oiled down hair. Plus, he delivers a Spanish name for the co production requirements. :slight_smile: )

If, on the other hand, the rules changed and we get a call from MGM saying they will back the film but it has to be shot in Hollywood with American stars my casting would look like this:

Frank: James Stewart (the same age as Fonda and an even bigger shock in store at the McBain ranch)

Harmonica: Paul Newman (Perfect for the strong and silent type carrying a grudge. Think Hombre)

Cheyenne: Lee Marvin (no need for explanation)

Jill: Angie Dickinson (Perfect for the whore who wants better. I can see her now in the soft focus bed scene with Frank)

Morton: Jack Hawkins (This is an American film don’t forget, so at least one of the villains has to be British)[/quote]
Don’t you think Milian was too young for this role?? :o
He’s one of my favorite spaghetti actors and I’ve no doubt that he could cope with this role, but…

[quote=“Mickey13, post:35, topic:2954”]Don’t you think Milian was too young for this role?? :o
He’s one of my favorite spaghetti actors and I’ve no doubt that he could cope with this role, but…[/quote]

No. He was about 36 in 1968 which is plenty old enough to play Harmonica I think. Bronson was older but I don’t think the part demands it.

And Milian was older than most of the actors proposed here as Harmonica (Giuliano Gemma, Leonard Mann, Ken Wood, Fabio Testi, Franco Nero, Richard Harrison, Terence Hill).

Decidedly the best actor in the bunch. OK. I thought he was too young as I remember he looked pretty young, playing O’Hara in Sentenza di morte from the same year. Maybe because he was clean shaven. :wink: