Behind-the-scenes of Sergio Leone’s “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” (Peter J. Hanley)

this is the upcoming mega GBU book, Richard and Veronica from Tuco Tours told us about. very promising

1 Like

I remember seeing a link to that on the garringo site ages ago.

I forgot all about it until Richard mentioned it.

It’s sure to be the ultimate book ever if it ever surfaces.

Just curious, is this book ever going to be released? :slight_smile:

Wow - hadn’t read about this until now. At least the website is still working so hopefully they’re still working on it.

This book has been in the works for a decade or more. One of the problems I’m sure is the use of photos with studios names on them. Anything with Paramount Studios, M.G.M. etc.
has to be cleared for use by the studio and usually they want a huge fee to use any of THEIR(?) photos with their logo on it. We ran into this problem when doing the expanded
Dollas Trilogy DVD relese a number of years ago. I’ll be surprised if this book ever sees the light of day.

I got an update from the author/creator (Dr. Peter Hanley) today, and here’s what he had to say;

Hi Jonas,
Thanks for your enquiry. I’m determined to get the manuscript (in electronic form) ready in the coming months. I have been very slow in the past years, but on the positive side, I have found great new sources of material. Especially in the last 6-months or so I have added a lot of rare stills. I’ve just ordered the last 28 stills - a lot of them are large format stills (scanned from 6 x 6 cm negatives) and a few are from A Fistful of Dollars (couple of behind the scenes) and For a Few Dollars More (couple from cut bedroom scene, Eastwood have a lunch break etc). However, the vast majority of the stills are from the GBU, including over 200 behind-the-scenes stills. The stills have already been placed in the book layout (Adobe InDesign). Next, a couple of people who studied graphic design will finalize the layout in Adobe InDesign.I will post sample pages once they are ready.
Best wishes,
Peter

Seems still to be in the works… I’m excited! :smiley:

Sounds good and nice of him to reply :slight_smile: .

Yeh, glad is still happening - looking forward to seeing the sample pages.

The proposed ‘GBU’ book, by Peter Hanley.

This particular subject has been on my mind for quite a while now, ever since I first heard of it from ‘Tuco Tours’, several years ago. The subject - however - appears to have practically ‘died a death’ in the past couple of years…unless I am not looking in the right place for present updates regarding its progress?

Does anyone have any updates as to what is happening with the Peter Hanley ‘GBU’ book? Or - at the very least - does anyone on this site have any contact with Mr. Hanley, if only to find out what progress he is making with what - I hope - will be a much-anticipated addition to ‘Spaghetti Western’ literature?

Surely, I can’t be the only one who is waiting anxiously for news regarding this matter…?

As it is, ‘The Good, The Bad and The Ugly’ is probably my number one film favourite of all time. It would be a shame to find out that the proposed new book on the making of this timeless gem will not be happening, after all?

1 Like

Well, i’ve been talking with the author and I was told the book is now finished. He’s now in the process of getting it printed and published. He was so kind to send me the front cover design and a few pages. It looks very promising, so I can’t hardly wait to get this in my hands. I’m hoping this year!!

Thanks, Angel Eyes, for this long-anticipated news!

Do you have any details as to where it will be available to buy from…for example, will it be available in the U.K., or just in America?
If you have any other info. closer to the time regarding price, and how to buy it, I’m sure that I’m not the only one who will be eager to grab this long-anticipated treasure!

Thanks, again, for the info.

Looking forward to reading this one down the line.

[quote=“Angel eyes, post:10, topic:1115”]Well, i’ve been talking with the author and I was told the book is now finished. He’s now in the process of getting it printed and published. He was so kind to send me the front cover design and a few pages. It looks very promising, so I can’t hardly wait to get this in my hands. I’m hoping this year!![/quote]Are you allowed to show the cover design?

Well, I have asked Peter whether I could share some bits and pieces and he was OK with that. So I’ll try to upload something shortly…

Hm, I get an error when trying to upload an attachment of 166KB…saying that the upload folder is full. I’ll have to found out what’s going wrong…
Anybody got an idea how to best upload a JPG?

Cheers

Angel Eyes…I’m sure that a lot of expectant ‘Spag.’ fans will appreciate anything that you can share…myself definitely included!!

Cheers for the update…please give Mr. Peter Hanley our very best from S.W.D.B.!
I, personally, believe that - when the book is published - it will be a ‘gem’!

“The Good…The Bad…The Ugly”…the question is…

…which one are you…?

ANGEL EYES.

In my last ‘post’, I wrote:

“The Good…The Bad…The Ugly”…the question is…

…which one are you…?

Angel Eyes: When I replied with the above, please don 't think that I was referring to you, personally:…I was asking the question of every ‘S.W.D.B. Western’ member…

[quote=“Angel eyes, post:15, topic:1115”]Hm, I get an error when trying to upload an attachment of 166KB…saying that the upload folder is full. I’ll have to found out what’s going wrong…
Anybody got an idea how to best upload a JPG?

Cheers[/quote]

use imgur.com or something for now maybe. i need to take care of a few other things before helping on that front

http://imgur.com/wS0QIg6

This was kindly provided to me by the author of the upcoming GBU book, Peter Hanley. I’ve added a little text to make absolutely clear that I do not own any rights to this book or this image or coverdesign. Please do not distribute beyond the SWDB forum.
This is for SW fan info purposes only…

That being said if the upload goes well, I’ll upload some more bits and pieces later…

Enjoy

well at some point we would include the book on the SWDB anyway, when do u think that will be? is the book not a safe thing yet?