Navajo Joe (Sergio Corbucci, 1966)

[quote=ā€œENNIOO, post:140, topic:74ā€]Just viewed this one again and forgot how good the film was with Mr. Reynolds on action man mode wiping out the bad guys, and there is a few of them. Love the screaming on the soundtrack.

I viewed the Koch disc which is fine. However, I find the Koch and the U.S disc to dark a print at times when compared to the Japanese disc (which still looks a decent print to me even though Non - Anamorphic).[/quote]

I have the Koch disc but havenā€™t watched it yet

Too bad if itā€™s too dark

The Japanese disc is quite OK but I find the sound not loud enough

Hehe, what if there would be a fandub using the Jap image and the better sound on the Koch disc?

The Koch disc is a bit of a let-down to me

The image is often a bit too dark, yes, but in the first twenty minutes or so there are several scenes in which colours, quite on the contrary, work washed out, resulting in some unnatural (ā€˜candyā€™) flesh colours. And then there are those day-for-night scenes which are far too bright. There are also too many persistent white specks to my liking, so no, this time Iā€™m not too happy with their work. I canā€™t say image quality is really bad (if all SWs looked like this weā€™d be terribly happy), but they have done better

Packaging, extras and sound are first rate though

Well to be 100% honest it is to me, I was just being polite :wink: .

And yes Lindberg you are correct re the sound on the Japanese disc.

Sometimes these restoration jobs donā€™t work out well for some reason

[quote=ā€œSpaghetti Monkey, post:138, topic:74ā€]But I hope this widescreen print has the correct audio. What I mean by that is on the Fullscreen VHS copy, (In the opening scene) The Indian-howling heard at the beginning of Morriconeā€™s title track is extended by about 5 seconds. Perfectly matching the opening guitar-lick to the main title of the movie.

But on the widescreen print that I saw on Turner Classic Movies, the music is not extended and it doesnā€™t synch up with the kick of the main title. I sure hope this error was corrected for this disc.[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that Spag Monk. However, I just re-watched the intro to my US R1 disc and the howling seems to connect with the first guitar lick, so Iā€™m still unclear as to what exactly is the problem with the audio on the R1 release ???.

Finally I understand what the problem is. From http://home.earthlink.net/~scinema/ques.htm :

The new U.S. DVD release of NAVAJO JOE has a screwed-up moment that is glaring.
In the pre-credits sequence, Duncan (Aldo Sanbrell), shoots the Indian woman and then scalps her. The music starts shreiking as Duncan begins to scalp the woman and should continue until the scene shifts to the opening credits and the gang is seen riding towards the camera. Thatā€™s how the movie was when it played theatrically, how in appeared on the MGM/UA VHS and how it appeared on the Japanese DVD release by Stingray. Now, the new MGM DVD, released through 20th Century Fox, shows up and the distinctive percussion hit that has always signalled the beginning of the credits sequence comes during the scalping, causing the main theme to begin early.
After the music finished, the audio engineer laid in more sound of the gang riding to keep the rest of the movie in sync. What had been a treasured cinematic moment of picture and music syncing perfectly is ruined on the new DVD release. What are the chances that a re-release will correct this? (Poor, I believe.)

Yeh, I guess the Stingray version does sound more appropriate. Does anyone know if this matches the Koch one? Spag Monk, do you think the version you saw on TCM was the same as in the Japanese release?

Rather than assuming that ā€œthe audio engineer laid in more sound of the gang riding to keep the rest of the movie in sync,ā€ Mondo Esotericaā€™s [url]http://mondo-esoterica.net/Navajo%20Joe.html[/url] opinion that this is ā€œprobably a fault on the original print, the dialogue is never out-of-syncā€ seems more likely to me.

I still havenā€™t changed my mind after re-watching the movie tonight. This time the Koch release, which is a major improvement to my old Warner Home Video fullscreen version (An seinen Stiefeln klebte Blut = His boots were covered with blood ā€¦ or something like this) but still has some weaknesses (as discussed in earlier posts).

I really like the opening scene and the final duel but donā€™t care too much about the rest of the film (except for the soundtrack, of course).

Aldo is great though, maybe his best SW roleā€¦

Agreed

[quote=ā€œNovecento, post:146, topic:74ā€]Finally I understand what the problem is. From http://home.earthlink.net/~scinema/ques.htm :

The new U.S. DVD release of NAVAJO JOE has a screwed-up moment that is glaring.
In the pre-credits sequence, Duncan (Aldo Sanbrell), shoots the Indian woman and then scalps her. The music starts shreiking as Duncan begins to scalp the woman and should continue until the scene shifts to the opening credits and the gang is seen riding towards the camera. Thatā€™s how the movie was when it played theatrically, how in appeared on the MGM/UA VHS and how it appeared on the Japanese DVD release by Stingray. Now, the new MGM DVD, released through 20th Century Fox, shows up and the distinctive percussion hit that has always signalled the beginning of the credits sequence comes during the scalping, causing the main theme to begin early.
After the music finished, the audio engineer laid in more sound of the gang riding to keep the rest of the movie in sync. What had been a treasured cinematic moment of picture and music syncing perfectly is ruined on the new DVD release. What are the chances that a re-release will correct this? (Poor, I believe.)
[/quote]

I havenā€™t the Koch DVD yet (due to having not the time to get to a place where they have it in stock), but according to what I have read about it this audio part was fixed.

Watched the Koch disc last night. Have to say I agree its a bit of a let down. Mostly disappointed that the extras feature no English subtitles. I always find these kinds of extras to be confusing when there are no English options. They appear to be made by an English studio, as the title, credits, and studio names are all in English, so youā€™d think they would originally include an English optionā€¦ but maybe Iā€™m wrong about that

Then as already mentioned, the transfer is a bit dark and whatnot, and does not appear to be much of an improvement over the US disc I already had.

I do like the menus though :smiley:

IMO most of the KOCH featurettes are quite boring, therefore you donā€™t miss muchā€¦

How about that documentary on Spaghettis they released? I donā€™t remember the title but I think it was included in the rainbow series, the color orange. Was always curious about it.

I tend to find even boring interviews worth watching at least once, especially if they are with interesting people. Iā€™d really like to see the bits with Deodato on the Navajo Joe features

It was released along with the first three DVDs of the rainbow, but it actually is not a part of the series.

The docu is called ā€œDenn Sie Kennen kein Erbarmenā€ (Because they know no mercy) and is quite nice. It is far from being perfect, because it tries to tell the whole SW story in 90min and comes up with the most important actors, movies, characters and much more. Therefore it lacks depth ad is pretty superficial. Nevertheless it is nice to watch and moreover it is always nice to see our heroes talking about the good old timesā€¦

Hmmā€¦ Xploited still has it in stock, I suspect because of no English options. May at some point have to go ahead and get it, for some day down the road when I may be able to understand it

[quote=ā€œDillinger, post:154, topic:74ā€]The docu is called ā€œDenn Sie Kennen kein Erbarmenā€ (Because they know no mercy) and is quite nice. It is far from being perfect, because it tries to tell the whole SW story in 90min and comes up with the most important actors, movies, characters and much more. Therefore it lacks depth ad is pretty superficial. Nevertheless it is nice to watch and moreover it is always nice to see our heroes talking about the good old timesā€¦[/quote]Itā€™s nice right but also very frustrating. They go back and forth in history and thereā€™s some stuff taken from old documentaries (Western Italian style) which makes the whole documentary even more confusing. For those who have large collection of ā€œmade for dvd documentariesā€ this one doesnā€™t offer much.

btw, I saw it from the tv, so Iā€™m not sure if the subtitles were done badly or what but documentary was also full of mistakes when it came to plots of the films etc.

I donā€™t have such a huge collectionā€¦

The documentary actually was called by the Koch guys the # 0 of the Rainbow series, so itā€™s part of it and is not as there is no number on the cover.

Most SW fans were disappointed when it was shown on TV.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:158, topic:74ā€]The documentary actually was called by the Koch guys the # 0 of the Rainbow series, so itā€™s part of it and is not as there is no number on the cover.
Most SW fans were disappointed when it was shown on TV.[/quote]
I liked it but I wouldnā€™t buy the DVD only for this Documentary. It would be OK as Extra on a DVD.

I saw it on You Tube, in German if Iā€™m not mistaken, without any subtitles
Donā€™t know if itā€™s still there, they might have removed it

EDIT: seems like itā€™s no longer there