Name your Top 5 favorite Italian Film Genres

1. Spaghetti Westerns( for obvious reasons)
  2. Crime/Poliziottesco(for obvious reasons)
  3. Gialli( for obvious reasons)
  4. Eurospy, they’re fun to watch, well some of them.
  5. Sword/Peplum, mainly for Hercules, Samson, Goliath etc…

It’s usually not done, the term ‘genre cinema’ is applied for spaghetti western, giallo etc. Cheap productions made for a specific audience, following genre rules or creating variations on them. It’s used in the sense ‘B-movie’ was used in Hollywood.

I know, but somehow the so called art house film is just another genre with recognizable cliches and qualities for style and content.

Who knows, a lot of arthouse is pretentious nonsense, but on the other hand both Fellini and Antonioni are arthouse, and so are Oshima and Kobayashi, and I don’t see many similarities between their work. All excellent film makers, but quite different.

Would you call, on another level, Nouvelle Vague or the Dogma films a genre? I don’t think many people think of them as a genre, usually Dogma is called a ‘school’ (and Vague of course a Wave)

And in the end it all comes down to definition

Yes, but many genre films are also quite different.

Little Big Man is very different from Rio Bravo, which is very different from Django, which is very different from Stagecoach, which is very different from Bad Company, which is very different from Ride Lonesome, which is very different from My Name Is Nobody. Yet all are westerns.

The “Art House” genre was defined by Bergman, Antonioni, Fellini. Many followed in their footsteps directly, others less obvious, but used many of their picture compositions.

A matter of definition, but it is possible to file them all under a big genre roof.

[quote=“Stanton, post:25, topic:3149”]Yes, but many genre films are also quite different.

Little Big Man is very different from Rio Bravo, which is very different from Django, which is very different from Stagecoach, which is very different from Bad Company, which is very different from Ride Lonesome, which is very different from My Name Is Nobody. Yet all are westerns.

The “Art House” genre was defined by Bergman, Antonioni, Fellini. Many followed in their footsteps directly, others less obvious, but used many of their picture compositions.

A matter of definition, but it is possible to file them all under a big genre roof.[/quote]

Yes, but talking about Italy, the term genre cinema has a specific meaning. For this reason, there was discussion whether GBU and Once Upon could be labeled as ‘spaghetti westerns’ (nobody would deny that they’re westerns).

I don’t mind calling arthouse a genre, but I think it’s hardly ever done, and artistic definitions are more a matter of agreement than anything else.

Cannibals anyone? I’d squeeze that genre in my top-5 just for the ferocity of films like Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox.

If arthouse is a genre, Cannibals are a genre too.

Cannibal Holocaust is one of my favorite films but the genre itself is quite boring and repeative imo.

1.Spaghetti western (by far…)
2.Gothic horror (Mario Bava is responsible for this)
3.Zombie horror (Lucio Fulci as the master and a lot of wannabes)
4.Poliziottesco (Everything including Nero and Testi)
5.Sword and sandal (Hercules, Masista, Samson etc)

1. Spaghetti Western
  2. Spaghetti Combat (WW2 movies, especially ones with Kinski)
  3. Horror (Mario & Lamberto Bava, Argento)
  4. Giallo
  5. Crime (although I must admit I’ve only seen one with Milian)
  1. Spaghetti Western
  2. Peplum
  3. (Soft)sex
  4. Polizioteschi
  5. (Melo)drama

I mean Merli and Testi ;).

Another thread that I don’t remember starting lol

I really like CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, but the genre is pretty derivative.

Continuing with HOLOCAUST, I find the film pretty boring until its ending rears its head. Then it slams you over the skull with a sledgehammer and leaves you with gray matter dripping down your face. Wow! What a finale.

Cannibal Holocaust is great.I remember the greek vhs release wrote:’‘Everything you see it is for real!!’'I like cannibal genre but except this anything else is just mediocre or bad.

FEROX isn’t too shabby.

Yeap!But from the time the guy ‘‘loose’’ his ‘‘gun’’…nah everything can’t be serious.Another good one is ‘‘The Mountain of the Cannibal God’’.

I know where you’re coming from.

And yeah, MOUNTAIN is pretty decent.

I think Deodato’s LAST CANNIBAL WORLD (1977) is fantastic and even better than his CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. I recommend it very much, if you haven’t seen it.
But I just love any film with cannibals in it, so you can call me biased.