Mystery of railway station Esperanza/Navajo Joe SOLVED!

Hi pedro_james. Good to hear from you ! Yes I studied that movie at YouTube some months ago (along many others). As I remember there were a lot of railway scenes from both sides of Guadix in that movie (but maybe not from the Moreda - Granada line).

When I look at it again now for example 1.11 h into the video I see a very long rather horisontal snowy row of mountains probably in the direction of Sierra Nevada. It could be south of Guadix, but maybe not ruling out a scene taken somewhere between Moreda and Iznalloz ?

One should look for telegraphic poles and if they were configurated as at Esperanza, but I only so far have found the well known types from the La Calahorra area, and northeast of Guadix.

What I didn´t see last time was that at 2.06 h into the video the train arrives to what I presume is Iznalloz in direction to Piñar, but no direct new clue. But that is at least rather close to being relevant.

1.48.38 h into the movie there IS an interesting glimpse of a telegraph pole with 8 nodes, configurated with 2 x 4 horisontal nodes so they are numerically possible to connect to the 8 nodes at Esperanza station.
I have seen that first mentioned configuration around the same time, I think on a photo from Iznalloz on the forotrenes.
The very mountainlike environment suggests the movie scene could have been shot along the Granada-Moreda line, not surprising since there is a scene from Iznalloz in the end.

And at 2.05.53 h there is a landscape overwiew with the train that may be shot between Iznalloz and Piñar with the train in direccion Iznalloz, just a few kilometers before Iznalloz and a few minutes beforo in the movie they arrive to that station.
So why haven’t seen them pass Piñar at say 2 hours in the movie ? :wink:

But at 2.01.23 h there is a panorama view from rather near Hernán-Valle on the Guadix-Baza line. And there you clearly can see the typical 5 node telegraph poles along that line.

A real strange thing is that at 2.02.5-2.02.07there seems to be a sudden change of a riding attack scene since at that very short time it looks like Tabernas desierto with its rocky mountains ! The color of the 2 second clip is also different.

Then the attack continues on the La Calahorra - Alquife line with its 2-node telegraph poles (which later changed to 5 nodes after or around 1970).

So @pedro_james I had overlooked a few rather interesting details the first time I looked at this video.

This video showed up on Youtube 2008 and it shows that the telegraph poles (although more modern configuration) at least was placed at the same side of the tracks at Piñar they were at ESPERANZA. Not a big clue, but better than nothing. Look 2.43-3.01 into the video.

The configuration was the same (2x2x4) in 1988.

2 Likes

At 3:02 the train is going over the bridge from ‘The Price of Power’ (1969) :grinning:

Aha, so that is not a mystery, I deduce :slight_smile:

I just tried a Facebook group “El Ferrocarril en Andalucía” but they could not say how the postes telegraficos were configurated around 1966 at Piñar. Very strange :wink:

Hi there Runner and team ESPERANZA. Just a notification to say nothing new to report on the mystery… The only thing i can say i am communicating by messenger to the administrator in Spanish and couple other members of the ferrocarril forum… These members are looking into the mystery… I did try to access a new search on their web page but was informed to keep it private for reason unknown. In the meantime some members may like to look at the link i have now with many trains that would have played their part in some spaghetti westerns… The search for Esperanza continues. Someone somewhere must know something about Navajo Joe and the railway station… Redirecting...

Hi there again.

Feb 16 I got this answer from those guys at that Facebook group :

"Hola Bo, lo siento pero no tenemos esa información sobre los postes telegráficos. Un saludo. "

But I hope, as it seems, that you got them on the hook :slight_smile:
Maybe my question was too specific and only indirectly regarding ferrocarril.

Hi Runner… Guess you,ve already looked at all those lovely stations and trains lol… You appear to have the eagle eye for missed clues…

Oh no, thank you for posting this link since there seems to be a lot of new (old) photos from the areas that I had not seen before, a Klondike for aficionados de ferrocarril even if I am no true enthusiast but I like them and played with toy train in my youth.
This picture confirmes on old observation that the telegraph poles near Almendricos were CLOSE in configuration, but not enough (7 nodes vs 8 at Esperanza).
https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10419520_765423493530389_3484442394336306771_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-mad1-1.xx&oh=63d78c2e433f1fe5daf9197d0f7799ab&oe=5D41D90E

There seems likely that there could exist fotos from around 1966 from Piñar as well due to the obvious abundance of other fotos from railway stations in Granada and Almeria.

Happy looking Amigo… Pedro

Ooops I was too quick last night. They claim that "La Estación de Gor, caracterizada como la estación de Esperanza, en la película “Joe el Implacable”

As far as I know and fotos provided there confirm that Gor station had not straight, but curved railway tracks close to the station building.
But you pedro_james must know that better including if the surrounding terrain, hills etc match fairly well.

It would be nice with a solved mystery, but I doubt it before the evidence is sufficiently clear.

After studying Google 3D and street view where the Gor Station building can be observed, I would rule out Gor. The railway tracks there were curved/bent both before and after the station, which was not the case at Esperanza. Google Maps

I,ve been in touch with the Administrator and told him this… I live 10 mins from Gor Station… He says give him more time and he,s going to try to help as best he can… Pedro

Well done. I was contemplating a comment below the foto on Facebook, but reconsider know after your “intervention” :slight_smile:

What is still obvious (also on those FB fotos) is that the “telegraph pole” -related clues constantly are in favor of Piñar (but no proof from the actual time at that station) and a disantvantage for the line Guadix to let say a long way to at least Almendricos. I cannot remember any time having seen the numerical configuration of 8 nodes systematically a long way there and at possible candidates (if there even were any - Almendricos seemed not too bad first), but have so for along the Guadix - Granada line around or near the actual time that is early 1960’s (at Iznalloz och Bogarre for example).

Wish it was well done for both of us as you,ve put 100,s and 100,s of hours researching and i,ve been on the case for years lol. Its such a mystery and we,ve tried so many avenues… Apart from the Administrator who has promised help and one other lead that i cannot find we are stumped… Surely someone that was young on the film must remember…There must have been extras or children on site with dad as a carpenter or electrician or bloody pick n shoveler . lol. No health n safety back then… I keep trying to get someone/anyone in COLMENAR area interested to no avail… Onwards and upwards… Pedro

Hopefully you,ll get the new link… Game on again lol …Redirecting...

Good work ! I could’t resist to do some spanish practicing there :slight_smile:

Hi there Runner… We,ve rattle a chain or two… nothing for sure but thought i would give you the latest… one in particular a similar theory to your manipulation… please look at my link below… was it on station side where train came in or is the image other side… Burt Reynolds leaving side … Pedrp

pedro_james - which link do you refer to ?

Check this out from my post April 26th… The Administrator has been really great to date… S panish and English attack… Not too good on computers but let me know if your tuned into the topic… I,m in private contact with Admin…