More 50 great lost films (the readers choice this time)

Read in this moth Uncut magazine an article about the 50 greatest lost Films, and guess it was worth a thread. It’s a list of what they think are the 50 greatest lost films.
So what’s a lost film to them, well many of the films in the list, and I quote them, are hard to find because they’re stuck in a labyrinthine rights issues. Some of them have been suppressed by the director of the studio, while other simply disappeared off the map entirely, too obscure to warrant a DVD or special edition like any recent blockbuster.
Of course in this digital age it’s easy to find a torrent a download of every stuff, even the most obscure, but let’s not count that into the equation, some of this films you can only find in VHS tape, they can be seen sometimes in television, film festivals and some of them have become legendary.
About the list, some great films no doubt about it, but being made by a British magazine it’s more centred In English spoken films, which is normal of course, there are also some great lost films from other countries, maybe we all could point one or two.

But here it goes the list by the order in the magazine

SONG OF THE DOUTH – 1946 USA
Wilfred Jackson and Harve Foster
It’s a Disney film do not know much about it, can be found only in VHS

HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT – 1980 USA
James Caan
Seen this on in TV, Caan almost went bankruptcy after it (too much white powder I guess), can be found only in VHS

MADE – 1972 UK
John MacKenzie
Never hear of it. Seems that T-Rex Marc Bolan auditioned for the main part, can be found only in VHS

PSYCHOMANIA – 1971 UK
Don Sharp
Never saw it, for what I’ve read seems very weird, nice motorcycles, there’s a region 1 release.

MAIDSTONE – 1970 USA
Norman Mailer
News to me, demolish by the critics, thought that Mailer was “only” a writer, with Rip Torn, there’s a French 2 DVD must found it.

HAMMETT – 1982 USA
Wim Wenders
Produced by Coppola, some problems during shooting, with Sam Fuller and Roy Kinnear must fount it urgently, there’s a Spanish DVD (El Hombre de Chinatown).

92 IN THE SHADE – 1975 USA
Thomas McGuane
Peter Fonda, Oates must be good, can be found only in VHS, it’s a western by the way.

WILLARD – 1971 USA
Daniel Mann
There’s a 2003 remake, never saw it with Ernest Borgnine, VHS and region 1 out of print DVD

THE LUSTY MEN – 1952 USA
Nicolas Ray
Reject by the audiences at the time, with Mitchum, Susan Hayward I wonder why, can be found only in VHS, never on DVD.

CALIFORNIA SPLIT – 1974 USA
Robert Altman
Lost!! Well there’s a DVD of it (only in the US), with Elliot Gould.

RENALDO & CLARA – 1977 USA
Bob Dylan
Only seen in excerpts never the all movie, it was restored; I’ve the bootleg series nº 5 with DVD.

THE TOUCH – 1971 SWEDEN/USA
Ingmar Bergman
Never seen it or heard of it, Elliot Gould again, can be found only in VHS and a rare one, must find this one.

MICKEY ONE – 1965 USA
Arthur Penn
Only in Laserdisc UAU, with Warren Beatty, they say it’s very good.

TWILIGHT’S LAST GLEAMING – 1977 USA
Robert Aldrich
Shot in Germany, saw this on in TV a very long time ago, a great film, can be found only in VHS.

HUMAN DESIRE – 1954 USA
Fritz Lang
Glenn Ford on it it’s a lost one!!, can be found only in a Spanish DVD (Deseos Humanos).

CITIZENS’BAND – 1977 USA
Jonathan Demme
Never been issue, only in television, said to be one of Demme’s best.

WHITE DAWN – 1974 USA
Phil Kaufman
Another one with Oates, never hear of it, there’s a 2004 Region 1 DVD, out of print off course

SMALL TIME – 1996 UK
Shane Meadows
First of the director, shot when he was 20 years old in Nottingham suburbs, can be found only in VHS on of the last VHS editions for sure.

STEELYARD BLUES – 1973 USA
Alan Myerson
Jane Fonda, D. Sutherland, Peter Boyle, saw it in TV, strange film all right, 2007 region 1 DVD out of print.

FEAR AND DESIRE – 1953 USA
Stanley Kubrick
First of the great director, he wanted to destroy all copies of it, seen in some festivals so some prints might survived.

DEAD PIGEON ON BEETHOVEN STREET – 1973 USA
Samuel Fuller
Incredible never hear of it, my guilt, it seems there’s an 2004 DVD, it seems.

THE LATE SHOW – 1977 USA
Robert Benton
Never heard of it, easy to find on DVD

KID BLUE – 1973 USA
James Frawley
Other with Oates, and Dennis Hopper, not legally available, this most be a good one a comedy western with Oates and Hopper.

SECONDS – 1966 USA
John Franknheimer
It seems that Beach Boys drummer Brian Wilson got so spooked with this one that he didn’t watch another movie until ET 16 years later, never saw it with Rock Hudson, the 2002 DVD edition has been long gone, good luck, try the VHS.

THE DAMNED – 1963 UK
Joseph Losey
One of Hammer weirdest movies, how’s that for a recommendation, few limited editions in DVD in the UK and on a US Boxset, very difficult to track down.

STRAIGH TIME – 1978 USA
Ulu Grosbard (who?)
Produced and on the main role there’s Dustin Hoffman, also with Theresa Russell, gary Busey, never hear of it must be good, no editions in Europe, for how long?

FEDORA – 1978 USA
Billy Wilder
A sequel to Sunset Boulevard!! Almost one, with William Holden again on it. Got deserted by the studio only edited in the US very difficult to track down

THE GREY FOX – 1982 CANADA
Phillip Borsos
Never hear of it, Borsos was a Australian director, produced by Coppola’s Zoetrope (I guess that’s why the bankruptcy, only with lost films ), they say it’s very good , can be found only in VHS

YOU’RE A BIG BOY NOW – 1966 USA
F.F. Coppola
Initially made for Coppola’s University thesis (pay attention Silence), never saw it, with Rip Torn, Geraldine Page (was nominated for a Oscar), can be found only in VHS.

GAS FOOD LODGING – 1991 USA
Allison Anders
Lost one!!! I saw it on cinema, can be found only in VHS, it deserved more it’s a great film as far as my memory goes.

BRITANNIA HOSPITAL – 1982 UK
Lindsey Anderson
Never saw it or heard of it my fault, with Malcolm McDowell, a 2004 DVD it’s out of print, and there’s an old VHS, both hard to find.

HEARTS OF THE WEST – 1975 USA
Howard Zieff
With Jeff bridges, never heard of it, revues are good, can be found only in VHS

SANTA SANGRE – 1989 ITALY
Alejandro Jodorowsky
Lost!! Only a Spanish import didn’t know that.

DRIVE HE SAID – 1971 USA
Jack Nicholson
With Karen Black and Bruce Dern. I never saw it, another only edited in Spain, but a DVD edition is being prepared.

SUPERSTAR: THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY – 1987 USA
Todd Haynes
There’s a story of lawsuits in this strange bio that uses Barbie dolls, she was indeed a great drummer, not available.

OTLEY – 1968 UK
Dick Clement
It says it a great film didn’t know it, can be found only in VHS

WEEKEND – 1967 FRANCE
Jean Luc Godard
Lost!!! This one, well I only saw it in television, there’s only an Artificial Eye edition that’s strange.

ROLLING THUNDER – 1977 USA
John Flynn
A Tarantino favourite, (they don’t know who owns the film, Sony or Warner!!), only in TV.

AMATEUR – 1994 USA
Hal Hartley
With Isabelle Huppert, never saw it , but must be good, considered Hartley most accessible work, can be found only in VHS

FINGERS – 1978 USA
James Toback
Saw this one, with Harvey Keitel and Jim Brown, great film great performance from Keitel, can be found only in VHS, usually compared with Taxi Driver, but a very different film IMO

THE DEVILS – 1970 UK
Ken Russell
Lost, not for me, but of course deserved a great DVD edition maybe from Criterion, but Warner still afraid of the film, can be found only in VHS, great film from a great director.

BREWSTER McCLOUD – 1970 USA
Robert Altman
Never saw it or noticed it, a palm D’or nominee in 1972, US VHS edition only hard to find.

SWEET AND LOWDOWN – 1999 USA
Woody Allen
This one is lost, never notice, Sean Penn, Samantha Morton (Oscar nomination), only a 2000 Us DVD edition.

FAT CITY – 1972 USA
John Huston
Got this one yeah, great film, Keach is one of the lost actors from the 70’s 2002 DVD edition that I got by the way, it’s sold out (I wont sell it).

MATEWAN – 1987 USA
John Sayles
James Earl Jones on it, , issue problems with this modern day western never saw, can be found only in VHS.

GREED – 1924 USA
Erich Von Stroheim
Silent film, didn’t know this one, but have hear of it, started as a10 hours film reduced by the director to 4 hours (a big tennis match at Roland Garros), only available in a 90 VHS edition, hard to find and pricey they say.

THE PROWLER – 1951 USA
John Losey
Losey was one the blacklisted directors back in the fifties, never saw this one, no edition at all.

CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT – 1966 SPAIN/SWITZERLAND
Orson Welles
Well this one is well known, the usual Welles problems on making films and issue rights, a Spanish edition do exists, but a real lost one.

THE OUTFIT – 1974 USA
John Flynn
Saw this one too a few years back on TV, Duvall, Robert Ryan, Joe Don Baker a true classic, can be found only in VHS, a very expensive one tape

THE LAST MOVIE – 1971 USA
Dennis Hopper
Consider by Uncut the nº 1 of Lost films, imagine Hopper, and his troupe somewhere in Peru, where cocaine was almost fro free. Uncut made a special report (a very good one) about this film. Jodorowsky made a editing, Universal didn’t like it, and later Stewart Stern help editing again. There were more than 40 hours of footage, I think it never got release, but copies do circulate you know here, it really deserve a Criterion treatment.

Well in the end most of this are considered lost only because they’re editions are hard to find and are out of print, my notion of a lost film it’s a little bit different, and only three or four films in this list would fit on it, but in any case this is a great job, and it’s nice to find more about some of this films, at least for movie aficionados like us

What does ‘lost’ mean?
There are hundred of movies that are literally lost, meaning: gone forever.

Most of the ones on this list can be obtained. Rolling Thunder even has a dvd release I believe.

As do Santa Sangre.

There are more with DVD releases Fat City SWEET AND LOWDOWN for instance, the point here is that normally were very small releases out of print by now.

But my definition of lost is also different, but in any case I can see Uncut point. By the Way there’s only a Spanish Edition of Santa Sangre, which for the non speakers makes a dificult film to find.

Willard (1971, Daniel Mann)

Saw it cinema, still remember some scenes with Ernest Borgnine attacked by hundreds of rats (he apparently had nightmares of them afterwards)

A friend of mine has worked with rats for years. He once told me it was possible to train rats for aggressive means, and that he had asked himself why it wasn’t done: since people are so scared of rats, rats could easily be used to frighten others off.

I know rats are very trainable animals, today they’re used to trace mines and people who are trapped under the debris of houses etc. after an earthquake. He had often a few rats with him (he trasported them in a basket), they were very tame and quickly became used to people they had never seen before.

what about that one with Jerry Lewis? The one where he is a clown in a concentration camp…now that is truly a lost movie

THE GREY FOX – 1982 CANADA

Saw it once on VHS. This tape must still be around somewhere
Not bad, but not really a western, virtually no action

[quote=“El Topo, post:1, topic:2391”]92 IN THE SHADE – 1975 USA
Thomas McGuane
Peter Fonda, Oates must be good, can be found only in VHS, it’s a western by the way.[/quote]

Not a western in my view.

[quote=“klinteastwood, post:7, topic:2391”]what about that one with Jerry Lewis? The one where he is a clown in a concentration camp…now that is truly a lost movie

Yeah that’s more my noytion of a lost movie. All the people who saw something of that film say it’s a true masterpice[/quote][quote=“ENNIOO, post:9, topic:2391”]Not a western in my view.[/quote]

I’m quoting Uncut on this one, I’ve never saw it myself, but the poster of it seemed like a western, with cowboy hats and 45, but that means nothing, could about carnaval in rio for that matter ;D

Know what you mean re the poster.

THE LAST MOVIE – 1971 USA
Dennis Hopper

The version I saw at least seemed to last 40 hours …

Awful, self-indulgent mess

Just got it the other day…can go to the bottom of the pile now for a bit then.

Just an opinion, Ennioo, mine

But frankly, no, I don’t think you’ll like it

SWEET AND LOWDOWN – 1999 USA

Was on Belgian televison not so long ago
I missed it (made a recording, but not of the movie …)

Drag I was ansiouxs to see it, that report made some nice publicity on the film, Jodorowsky said it was a wonder, well let’s see. Read that everyone was on cocaine and screwing all around the set and everywhere, guess not the best way to do a movie, you have to wakew up sometime.

Shit! There are Bergman, Welles, Godard, Hopper, Altman, Fuller, Aldrich, Lang, Penn, Wenders, Huston, Losey and Wilder movies on this list! Some of these movies I’ve always wanted to see and our now nearly impossible to find! Shit!

Half of the films were often enough on German TV. So they are not lost in Germany, they are easy to get here if one wants them. I have some of them recorded from TV on VHS. And have seen about half of them. But there are also a few I have never heard of.

2 pretty good westerns: Kid Blue (which is not a comedy) and The Grey Fox

THE OUTFIT – 1974 USA John Flynn Saw this one too a few years back on TV, Duvall, Robert Ryan, Joe Don Baker a true classic, can be found only in VHS, a very expensive one tape

I have the greek tape and it’s indeed a pretty good film, great team by Duvall and Baker.

I can mention several 70’s and 80’s crime and drama greek flicks, but I don’t think it would be interesting enough for this forum, none of them had eng subs or audio.

Nice topic btw, I’m already taking notes…

What Bergman films are you looking for? Maybe I could send you some of them.