The Shooting (Monte Hellman, 1966)

THE SHOOTING-I LIKE THIS FILM,BUT IT LEAVES YOU WONDERING “WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?” HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS MOVIE,AND IF SO I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR YOUR TAKE ON IT.

It’s been a long time since I saw this but I remember it being great film and quite bizarre, not like El Topo or Django Kill! but in different way. I love the strange end of this movie. Like you said it leaves you puzzled.

Very entertaining film, with excellent cinematography. And Warren Oates was a fine actor.

SPOILER ALERT

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it but if memory serves Oates gets caught up in a manhunt he initially does not want to participate in. The odd ending can be interpreted as the manhunt searching for him. Metaphorically he is searching for himself.

An alternate read of the end is that he has unknowingly participated in a hunt for his brother (who looks just like him).

Hmm, spoilers :wink:

Sorry about that. Newbie mistake #1 for me. I’ll add a warning.

I might try to pick this one up on a swedish old X Rental VHS-tape.
Same company that released this one also released Ride the whirlwind, another Monte Hellman movie that I already got.

Wonderful film.

One of the best westerns ever.

Sorry thus is not a SW and sorry its been discussed. The Shooting-1966 (Off subject, we need a forum on just the westerns , Italian or not, that came out in 66) …the ending of this film…thoughts?

Should have posted that here (can we merge them?):

But yes, a fantastic film with a really great ending. I think it is intentionally ambiguous.

Yes. Just merged the two :slight_smile:

Someone, who is able to do so, should correct the title of this thread. Someone is probably only someSeb.

The ending of The Shooting is fantastic.

I wish Hellman could have afforded a bigger budget for The Shooting, so that he could have hired a DoP like Conrad Hall. And a better actress than Millie Perkins and some more impressive locations.

Done. So it corresponds with what I take to be the ‘normal’ formatting of these movie titles. I take it that that’s what you meant.

Yes perfect. But it was especially the wrong spelling of his name.

Could I have done this title change either?

I think it’s only moderators and the poster of the original topic that can do that.

Yes, question is if I’m still a moderator, or if I ever was one.

I could merge topics and stuff like that before the forum software was changed.

Who is moderator now?

Me, last.caress and scherpshutter: About - The Spaghetti Western Database Forum

But I’m sure that Sebastian is looking for more volunteers :slight_smile:

No, that’s ok. At the moment I don’t have much time for the forum anyway.