Mexican westerns section?

Might be a good idea to turn this place into the western database, the ultimate resource for any western. Ever. You might need a bigger server though, haha.

Nah, but seriously. I think it can be good if things evolve and are not interpreted too rigidly. Spaghetti westerns do have some bastard cousins, and are spawned itself by other films of course. But those are just my 2 cents.

yea but then might as well shut down and leave it to the IMDB.

It was a joke, even though such a website wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I just picked up an abridged version of a Mexican Western on Super 8mm film. It stars Mario and Fernando Almada, and according to a note taped to the reel, “the villain gets harpooned”. Anyone have any idea what movie this might be? The title on the box is Bullet For A Dead Man, but box titles on these condensed Super 8 films are often the same as the title of the full movie.

Another Mexican western disguised as a SW: this time is Duelo en El Dorado, directed by René Cardona in 1969 and released in Italy in July '73 with the director credited as Lawrence Cooper.

Translation: I make the sign of the Cross
 and then I kill you.

is it in the database already?

No. For René Cardona we have 4 titles, one of which dated 1960.

Should we put it in there then? :smile:

Perhaps it would be safer to watch the film first
 :wink:

This fotobusta, for example, is not as interesting as the posters above

I look forward to reading through this thread. I’m a big fan of Mexican Westerns, even the “charros cantores” (singing cowboys) like “Alla’ en el Rancho Grande.”

What I don’t know is if Mexico made political or revolutionary Westerns
 So much to learn!!

There is an incorrect entry in the DB for this film, which I just bought on DVD and am collecting/researching info on:

Traiganlos vivos o muertos (1974)
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Traiganlos_vivos_o_muertos

In the DB page, it is listed under the title Todo por nada, which is a totally different film

I would go ahead and edit it, but I no longer have permission

2 Likes

I’ll see to it tomorrow, it’s past midnight here at the moment :wink:

Cool, here’s a short summary if you want to add it in:

Jotsy the beautiful bank robber, along with Dan, Pedro and Roberto are a gang of bandits famous for their robberies. Sheriff Clayon pursues them night and day with the slogan of “Traiganlos vivos o muertos” (“Bring them alive or dead”).

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Traiganlos_vivos_o_muertos

Watched the first 10 minutes of El juez de la soga 1973 and, so far, it looks pretty SW to me. :+1:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/El_juez_de_la_soga

Thanks scherp!

Massimo- for sure, these westerns have all the flavor of SWs, and sometimes are more graphically violent. Thanks for sharing the poster - nice find! The only poster image I had was very small and pixelated.

1 Like

Next, I will watch Los Desalmados which seems to translate to The Fiendish. I’m watching these in Spanish, which I understand very little(for now :nerd_face:), but I believe I’m following the story lines pretty well. I can easily see how a person could learn a language by watching movies in that language as long as you, every now and then, look up words you’re curious about along the way.

Ah, RubĂ©n Galindo! I haven’t heard of this one yet, will have to look it up. Are you watching on youtube or where did you find it?

I am actually using these movies as a way to try and help myself learn Spanish, something I’ve been less than half-assed about for years now. I was thinking of maybe creating English subtitles for these films to also help learn the language, but I don’t know
 that’s a lot of work

1 Like