Matalo! / ¡Mátalo! (Cesare Canevari, 1970)

:smiley:

Good points.

Well put… this is how I feel about spaghettis of this type… same with Django Kill, Kill The Wickeds. I appreciate them, and they’re great if I am in the right mood, but most of the time I’m just bored…

hahah. Spaghetti always taste better…

A new review is available now:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Matalo!_Review

He he, very good and informative review. Had somehow never thought much about the sexual implications before, even the obvious ones.

Makes me want to watch it again, at least the glorious parts.

And it’s obviously time to get me a copy of Kill the Wicked

Personally I really love long drawn-out movies with limited dialogue that really embrace the idea of cinema as a visual treat. Many movies are simply better as novels because there is so much more depth and time allowed, but cinematic greats like “Once Upon a Time in the West” would have been terrible novels because that is simply not what they are really about (of course Leone’s “Once Upon a Time in America” was inspired by a novel but that’s beside the point).

Having said that I am really curious about this Matalo! film. I am not sure if I will marvel at its wonderful cinematography and lack of need for dialogue, or alternatively if I will absolutely loathe it as pretentious psychadelic nonsense.

Hmmmm… to fork up the cash or not to… ???

Fork out that fucking cash right now! It’s a masterpiece.

Go for it !

Still gotta purchase it too, but I’m going for the Italian release.

Will the Italian release be english friendly?

No. The Italian release is only in italian but it has the best known quality. As well as an interview with Canevari.

But like Lindberg said: The Wild East release, though inferior in quality, has more “character”. And it’s quality wasn’t even bad to begin with.

I had thought that there wasn’t any real dialogue to speak of, or is this not the case?

The dialogue is very very verty slim. But if your watching this movie for the dialogue, then frankly, your an idiot. You watch it for the style and weirdness.

How can an inferior release have more character? That’s really beyond me. But if you feel that way, perhaps you should buy a wornout vhs of the film.
The Italian release has no English options, that’s right. But as mentioned, you don’t watch this film for the dialogue. Therefore it’s the best option for me.

Yup, think I’ll follow Bad Lieutenant with this one.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:73, topic:201”]How can an inferior release have more character? That’s really beyond me. But if you feel that way, perhaps you should buy a wornout vhs of the film.
The Italian release has no English options, that’s right. But as mentioned, you don’t watch this film for the dialogue. Therefore it’s the best option for me.[/quote]Its justthat it doesn’t tryto be an amazing scratch less release. Itis good quality but not100%prestine. It iswhat it is. It doesn’t tryto be Koch Media epic.

What are you saying, korano? Because I understand very little of it.
Wouldn’t you agree that the way Matalo was put on film is the way it is intended to be viewed? This grindhouse feel and what not is print damage that wasn’t originally there. Some people of course add artificial print damage to their films, but that’s another subject.
Besides that, I’m not sure what you mean by “Koch Media epic”. Koch Media never produced a spaghetti western, as far as I’m aware of.

In the same way as LP freaks want to hear the rustle of the pickup before the song starts, instead of the clean CD sound.

Great Stanton! That is what I meant to say but didn’t know how to.

The WE was a bit darker than the Italian print on those screenshots in the other thread

To me it looked “better” so to speak

It does lookdarker. The blue sky inthe Panni hanging sceneis darker and I just thinkit looks better for this film. Though I wouldn’t mind having the Italian release as well. But I alreadyhave 2 versions of it. What I think is a Jerksi DVD-R and WE.