Matalo! / ¡Mátalo! (Cesare Canevari, 1970)

Well, since no one has bothered to mention this as of yet, I will…
This is, hands down, the most odd SpWe ever made (I dare you to find anyone even close to this) and what can I say? I can say “love it”, and I do. I estimate that 9 out of 10 SW aficionados HATE this one, but I think it’s a great genre bender, incorporating gothic horror and surreal images. Imagine Dali and Buñuel dropping acid together and deciding to make a spaghetti western; what would that be like? Like Matalo :slight_smile:

For more info visit:
DATABASE PAGE: Mátalo! - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

Give Matalo your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

[quote=“Mannaja, post:1, topic:201”]Well, since no one has bothered to mention this as of yet, I will…
This is, hands down, the most odd SpWe ever made (I dare you to find anyone even close to this) and what can I say? I can say “love it”, and I do. I estimate that 9 out of 10 SW aficionados HATE this one, but I think it’s a great genre bender, incorporating gothic horror and surreal images. Imagine Dali and Buñuel dropping acid together and deciding to make a spaghetti western; what would that be like? Like Matalo :)[/quote]This has been #1 in my waiting list for ages. As far as I’m concerned, it hasn’t been released on DVD yet.

I love it too. Very violent and totally crazy film with great music and cinematography. I love all that surreal stuff but I love all the surreal and bizarre cinema like Jodorowsky, Arrabal, Lynch, Bunuel etc…

By the way, is this coming on a dvd from Koch?

[attachment deleted by admin, new size restrictions in place. max allowed size 40kb]

Koch had it listed in upcoming releases but they recently dropped it off. I guess the only DVD-version out there is a bootleg (DVD-R). It is a widescreen presentation though and comes with greek subtitles. Costs about 15 bucks + shipping.

It was shown on German TV last fall, I got a DVD-R of the broadcast and a copy from the old Swedish video release.

[quote=“Mannaja, post:5, topic:201”]It was shown on German TV last fall, I got a DVD-R of the broadcast and a copy from the old Swedish video release.[/quote]A lot of westerns on German TV… And so few here in Finland. Well, some American classics and new westerns are shown every once in a while.

german tv is full of them, just see our tv ticker on the main site, i mean. we have at least 5 every week, please guys just send us some info

Even I think it´s good in a bizarre way, it´s one of those spWe you just have to see. As Mannaja says, you either love it or hate it.

Acid-rockmusic, boomerangs and wierd characters in a perfect combination :smiley:

This one is also one of my favourites, very strange but extremely fascinating.

And don’t forget the best: upcoming dvd from Wild East!

Has anyone seen the Wild East DVD of this movie yet?

How does it look and sound?

Is it a good presentation for the high price Wild East charges?

Have they fixed their problems with squeezed image?

Finally got to see this “cult classic among SW-freaks”. Disturbing (in a good way) soundtrack, experimental camera work and exotic elements in general. Although the script isn’t that good, there is a great surrealistic atmosphere throughout the film. The weakest part has to be the ending. I kinda waited something bigger. I watched this after midnight with headphones and I guess that it contributed to the perfect “state” for watching this film. Memorable flick which I definetely will watch again and again.

Good work from Wild East also. It’s a non-anamorphic widescreen presentation but the colors seemed bright and clear. Didn’t notice the image being squeezed either.

Incredible film!

I have ordered the Wild East release, it hasn’t arrived yet, but I still watched it this evening on my old vhs-copy :slight_smile:

I like it too
Unusual score,good cast,strange feeling.

here’s my DVD review:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Matalo_-_Kill_Him!_DVD_Review

One of the most strange SWs next to Once upon a time in the West and Django Kill. Like these not to everyones taste, but it could be a fascinating experience.
Many weird ideas and the weird direction compensate for the fact that the story is a bit simple. A trash film screenplay directed as experimental film.

I especially like the first sequence, the strangely filmed showdown with the final camera movement and the scene where Burt ,after killing his allies, reveals to the audience his credo about how life is.

Surprisingly this film is widely unknown.

… WHAT??

Strange in the sense of away from the usual. It’s meant positively. OuTW is one of my Top 5 films ever.
Both films tell their story in a very unusual way and OuTW was much criticised therefore,at least at the time of it’s release. But now OuTW is considered by most people as a classic, and rightly so.

Django Kill is a cult film amongst movie buffs. I think Matalo has this potential too, but even many SW fans don’t know this little gem.

Nice review Sebastian.

"…But this film has absolutely no real script that would produce a recognizeable plot or anything like that. It is a very improvised film, with hardly any dialoge worth mentioning, and honestly the film is quite boring… Can’t think of a reason not to get this DVD, but there is no reason to go crazy about it neither. "/ from Sebastian’s review.

I love this film and I don’t think it would have worked better with a more complex script, on the contrary it would have been worse. This film is even more of a cult western than Django Kill I think :slight_smile:

But you Seb apparently weren’t quite as enthusiastic, did it make it into your top 20 list?