Man, Pride and Vengeance / L’uomo, l’orgoglio, la vendetta (Luigi Bazzoni, 1967)

Right,both are no western.The only difference,Collera del vento is better.
I think it was nowhere so overact with the titles as in germany -
at this time there was the ‘Django and Halleluja wave’ and every movie with men who wear hats on their heads,was a western.
If you want,you could every early ‘Zorro’ designate as a western.

I enjoyed MPV very much, although I have not given it a viewing in years… To me, although it is not a western, it still retains that spaghetti feel- from the directing/film making style to the actors used, etc.

I found the fact that it is not an actual western to be somewhat refreshing- here we get to watch a “spaghetti” that does not conform to some of the more tiresome standards- because it is not a western. Unfortunately, this means less action- but for me, it maintains my interest level and manages to be a film worthy of analysis free of genre.

I think thats the way it is,in a forum people can talk about their difference opinions,or share the same opinion.
If we all would have the same taste,we wouldnt have something to discuss.
In germany there is a funny adage -
It’s a question of taste said the monkey
and eat the soap
:wink:

Maybe this would be an interesting thread:

Non-westerns, that can become a western with German dubbing and title :wink:

This was a very classy movie. I was under the assumption it was a “western” when I put it into the dvd player. However, I wouldn’t say that it isn’t a western just because it doesn’t contain a flood of shootouts. I would classify it as a dramatic western film; one that tells a story outside the usual parameters of the genre yet uses subtle western conventions as a backdrop for the tragedy. Prior to this, I never thought a great deal about Franco Nero, but his performance here won me over. His heart seems to be in some movies more than others.

I was just thinking about Nero when replying about Massacre Time in the Fulci thread, and how I can’t recall any titles with Nero that I did not enjoy a good amount. Seems to bring a lot to the spaghetti table, and among the top few spaghetti lead actors IMO

Well, what did you think of Cipolla Colt?

Shit.

:smiley:

i haven’t had a chance to watch Cipolla Colt yet, hasn’t been real high on my to view list… i’ve had it for a while, but i actually never even realized it had Nero in it. Might bump it up on the list

I watched Cipolle Colt ages ago.
Maybe I’ll have to rewatch it in a double feature with Potato Fritz.

[quote=“korano, post:27, topic:191”]Well, what did you think of Cipolla Colt?[/quote]I kinda enjoyed Cipolla Colt. You just have to have right attitude towards it because it’s basically kids’ movie, it’s ridiculous and really over the top but it’s also funny and well made film.

While watching this for the first 30 minutes or so I kept asking myself, this is not only NOt asw but is it even a western. Patience is the word when watching this movie. Having not read 1 word of this movie prior to watching, I went in blind, with no expectations. After Nero goes on the run, the story & scenery we are used to in this genre start to unfold, climaxed, of course, by Kinski’s introduction (albeit way to short for me.) Again, patience. While the movie finally picks up steam & gets more enjoyable, I view this movie on the whole. It just takes to long to get started. SPOILER: And at the end when Carmen dies, I’m not thinking…tragic, I’m thinking…GOOD! Same with Nero’s demise. After he refused the boat ride I’m thinking, you get what you deserve. It was unusual for me to see Franco Nero play a part where he is so vulnerable. While he played the part great & most men relate to what his character was going through, it is not what I expect to see from him in a movie. 4/5 out of ten at best for the movie as a whole. If I were to rate it from the halfway point on, it would have been much higher.

On the whole Western/non Western topic, I feel that it can go both ways. If the Great Silence took place in Switzerland instead of Utah, but everything else was the same, could it still be a sw? Conversely, a movie like ‘No Country for Old Men’ takes place in Texas, has guns & cowboy attire (while it has no horses or stagecoach heists) & is not a Western. Location helps, but it should not make or break whether it is a Western. Zapata’s are another debate although the Texas/Mexico connection is easily more arguable than a Spanish location.

:smiley:
If Giuliano Gemma play the leading character instead of Franco Nero,how would you rate it ?

If Giuliano Gemma play the leading character instead of Franco Nero,how would you rate it ?[/quote]

Good point Lanky.

But if Silence played in the Alps it wouln’t be like that. There are no guns, bounty hunters or stagecoaches out there.

But there’s Ötzi
Maybe Lucio Fulci did a splatter movie with him :wink:

Ötzi is better for a Zombie flick.

Or did you mean Dj Ötzi? He would be great in a splatter movie - as a victim…

Agree !

He could also be a psycho type of guy, who eventually gets killed…

Only ever viewed around 80% of this before. It was in VHS days and remember well as the tape chewed up in my VCR. So have had on my watch pile for three years so thought it was time to view.

Nero is a real love sick dog in this, Django would not be pleased. He is such a fool, but then again alot of people are fools in love at some point in their life. His so called woman really lays the bull on thick and fast. This is what kept me watching really. Is it a western ? The first section of the film did not feel like so. But after this when we have the stagecoach section and Kinski enters the scene (best part of the film for me), I thought it was a western. The end section is about fifty / fifty. To my surprise I remembered alot of scenes from when I viewed in the 80’s, which is not usually the case for me after such a gap.

Well, no surprises for those who know me that I don’t consider this any kind of western at all. But I did enjoy it well enough. At least, I did the second half from around the Franco Ressel killing onwards. The stuff shot in the desert around the robbery and aftermath was by far the strongest and I suspect this was because it had the least dialogue. (Of course it also had Kinski and Jose Manuel Martin which never hurts) The first half suffered from a poor script and (in the English dub anyway) weak acting from Tina Aumont. Like someone else said here, I wasn’t convinced by her ability to drive a man mad with lust even though she is a fine looking girl.

Nero is fine in the part of the love sick fool and although we like to remember him in tougher, more Djongo like roles, he can do this softer stuff just fine. This reminded me more of his performance as Lancelot in Camelot than any of his western stuff. But then, as I said, this is no western in any shape or form for me.
Enjoyable and worth a viewing but no one’s best work.