Man of the East / … e poi lo chiamarono il Magnifico (Enzo Barboni, 1972)

I thought this one was good. Not fully comedy and wel made. Terence Hill’s accent steals the show though.

Worth seeing if, for nothing else, the bike riding scenes!

My review of the Optimum UK release of [i]Man of the East[url]http://www.mondo-esoterica.net/Man%20of%20the%20East.html[/url][/i]

Just viewed the Studio S dvd, which was good. The movie not so. It never really takes off, I laughed maybe two times and it’s all very corny (music included). Besides all this Terence Hill plays an annoying character. Some nice fist fights and good performances by Hill’s mentors, but that’s about it. 2 stars.

Watched this again the other night and… I really like it. Not the out and out slapstick comedy of Trinity, but a more gentle humour that brings out the best in Terence Hill. Not the gratest film ever made, but fun and one I will dig out again and again I’m sure.

Philip

Thats really his voice?

No! :o

But I wouldn;t be to surprised if someone said it was because as stated elsewhere, Hill speaks perfect English. But according to Gordon Mitchell, he spoke little English back in the 60’s.

Yeah his english is near flawless now because he’s been living in the US for the past 25 years, although I’m not sure exactly where. I can imagine that this wasn’t always the case. But I doubt he would’ve been able to pull off a british accent.

Well-made but not very interesting variation on Trinity’s theme, in which the only real SW ingredient - in form of parody - is the pair of bounty killers dressed in black. Good role for Riccardo Pizzuti.

I have to agree with Rod for the most part. I’ve only ever the old Warner VHS version but I doubt a widescreen DVD would improve this film much. It tries so hard to be funny but fails 95% of the time (I remember laughing at a few scenes but I can’t remember which ones).

Recorded this off of Movies4Men last week, I’ll have to check it out sometime.

I’ve watched this one the other night. It was ok, about the same level as Trinity, but 2 hours is really too long for this kind of movie.

recently watched this one.
I think it was influenced by a Lucky Luke comic, at least is usues the same starting point and story line about a tenderfoot becomming a westerner with his English skills and western training. In the comic Lucky luke has the role of the 3 comrades.
Worth seeing, if it was only for Yantl Somer…

tenderfoot

Years after this movie Terence Hill is the lead in a lucky Luke movie and tv series :rofl:

1 Like

Great new review of MAN OF THE EAST on ye olde Cinema Retro blog https://cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/11240-REVIEW-MAN-OF-THE-EAST-1974-STARRING-TERENCE-HILL;-KINO-LORBER-BLU-RAY-SPECIAL-EDITION.html by @blosserfred

1 Like

This movie’s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. Please contribute links, facts, reviews and pictures and let us know if there’s any errors we should fix.

I always thought of this one as minor but certainly enjoyable. And when has Terence Hill not been fun to watch?

1 Like

There’s a new poll for Man of the East at the top of the thread on the original post! :arrow_up: :cowboy_hat_face:

New review up by @GilSmith
Read here:

2 Likes

Cool! Happy to have finally contributed something to my favorite website.

2 Likes

A very good review for ‘Man of the East’, GilSmith. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! I hope to write some more soon.

1 Like