Lee Van Cleef's Pipe in "For A Few Dollars More" & Others

Only two significant pipe smoking scenes in this one but they are pivotal moments and Angel Eyes’ character is definitely defined by his use of it. The suggestion is of culturing and sophistication (Sherlock Holmes) that has been perverted to the pursuit of evil. First the Half-Soldier scene:

Certainly looks like the “Grand Duel” pipe.

Now the scene where they work on Tuco’s digestion:

Got that same funky mouthpiece bit on it from “Grand Duel” … maybe it really is a Peterson System pipe.

My favorite image from the film. Seeing his face fill that screen at like 25 feet height is thrilling.

I can definitely see some sort of markings on the metal band on the neck.

Can anyone discern any symbols on there?

Here’s a couple of comparisons between the WDC Wellington and Peterson System pipe designs from eBay sellers who know their product & provide ample pix. The auctions may be closed but you should be able to see the images for up to 90 days, at some point I will make an archive of them. First the WDC and the “Hermit” refers to the seller’s handle, not a style or model name:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HERMIT-WDC-WELLINGTON-EARLY-THICK-RIM-BRIAR-PIPE-/260771059326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb72a967e

Now here’s a Peterson and I chose this for the excellent view of the markings on the throat & neck band:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-PETERSON-ENGLAND-SYSTEM-314-GRADE-0-SMOKING-PIPE-/120715970314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1b3b870a

Here’s a view of Angel Eyes’ Wellington from the side:

And Sheriff Clayton’s:

Angel Eyes again:

Clayton:

:o

So far I am only seeing three scenes with pipe smoking in them from THE BIG GUNDOWN but to my delight it involved two very different pipes to document. The first scene is the one where the three bandits find him sitting by the campfire & their friend up in the tree, then one in the sheriff’s office where Corbett collects his bounty for them, and finally the wedding where we first learn of Cuchillio.

The sherrif’s office scene is found on the Franco Cleef restoration (likely the Koch Media DVD too which I do not have) but not the Japan DVD from the Macaroni Collection which I am working from. The scene was also quite dark and his hand was consistently in the way enough to make it a bother but I can say with certainty that it was the same pipe from the campfire scene:

Looks like briar, with a quarter bent stem and a poker or tankard shaped bowl with a flat sitter bottom to it.

There’s that flat bottom. Almost an ordinary looking pipe compared to the other three (or four?) seen so far.

Looks like there’s a little bit of a texture on that neck, and a small band of some sort between the stem & neck. I also think I can see a little maker’s mark right at the end of the stem.

There we go. Flat bottomed poker, the wood on the bottom finished with its natural color rather than stained or burnished like the sides & neck. The stem also looks like it isn’t perfectly straight either, sort of crooked. Nice big bowl on it too. Kind of reminds me of this one, though the stem isn’t quite long enough & it has a bark finish:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHERRYWOOD-R-F-ROPP-FABRICATION-MADE-FRANCE-MINT-/360362111594?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item53e741726a

Now we’re at the wedding and he’s smoking a nice little briar churchwarden! Maybe like a 3/4 size churchwarden, or something like a Duke mini with a really long stem, but I say churchwarden. Far out!

Very simplistic, I’m not even seeing a band on the neck. Teensy little bowl too, very cool.

Appears to be a little Dublin shaped bowl. Looks like there might be a very subtle curve to the stem in this one but its remarkably straight, nice change of pace for a Lee Van Cleef pipe.

Looks like its a smooth but not polished surface on the bowl. Burnished?

Looks dead straight in that one.

Also looks like a teensy bend in that one too. But far out! add a straight Dublin bowl churchwarden to the list maybe, it’s certainly not a bent churchwarden like a hobbit pipe. Almost looks like a plain old Dr. Grabow, not sure if they do churchwarden lengths, so any more or less straight Dublin churchwarden briar with a smooth finish and you have yourself a Corbett. The plastic bit would probably be out of period for 1890 or whenever this is set but stuff like that never really bothers me. I like churchwardens too & had been thinking of finding one. Cool!!

Also this just in too: There is no pipe or cigar smoking in either EL CONDOR or CAPTAIN APACHE. He takes a peyote trip but doesn’t light up once. Good for Lee Van!

There is no pipe smoking in BAD MAN’S RIVER. There are however attractive women with large breasts, and Eduardo Fajardo. Not a total loss.

Aha!! Finally found a meerschaum with a surface that’s a VERY good match for the Mortimer Pipe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANT-QUE-V-NTAGE-ESTATE-COLLECTION-MEERSCHAUM-P-PE-V-ENA-/200604161353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb4f09549

Bingo! The bowl isn’t the right shape, the stem a bit too deep a yellow and there’s a metal band on the end of the neck, but the surface patterning is absolutely beautiful, would be very very interested to learn what that style is called & how its done. Will take some time to make an archive of the pictures for future reference. This is the first example that I might consider latching onto, though at this time the cost is a bit beyond me. Go for it!

Not a pipe smoker myself, but that’s pretty awesome! If I did smoke, I would love to have that.

looks really good.

You guys should check this forum thread http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lee-van-cleef-pipe

they are making very close replicas of the pipe in the movie.
Bang !

This is a very good and informative thread. I don’t smoke a pipe, but it certainly made me want to! And I checked out that LVC pipe site. That’s pretty nifty. I won’t be buying one, but it was very interesting.