Law of Violence / La legge della violenza (Gianni Crea, 1969)

Database page: Todos o ninguno - The Spaghetti Western Database

Compared to the other Crea movie - ā€œOn the third day arrived the crowā€ this one is certainly higher class movie. Itā€™s better made and features no atrocious slapstick, neveredning barrom brawls. The story dosenā€™t make a heck of a sense, even if the idea behind it is a good one. There are some scenes with matte paintings that are so obvious that itā€™s almost painful to look at. There reused some Stelvio Ciprianiā€™s music form other movies [i recognized the tune from ā€œThe bounty killerā€] and it kinda makes the film feel like something better than it truly is. Is it only me or the main character looks a lot like Nicky Wire from Manic Street Preachers [iā€™m gonna have to find ā€˜bastard lookalikesā€™ topic and proove it] ;D
4/10

Thatā€™s so true ! Another ā€œBottom of the genreā€ western by Creaā€¦ A big bundle of rubbish, Iā€™d say ! I was missing Dino Strano though :wink: :slight_smile: !

Watched this one today and was pleased to find here that Alk0ā€™s opinion of the film identically matched my own thereby saving me the trouble of writing it out. This would have been more bother than the film was worth.

My first Crea by the way. Canā€™t say Iā€™ll be searching out any others in a hurry.

This movie doesnā€™t have any spaghetti ā€˜feelā€™ it brings scruples concening killing people, at first 20 minutes, seens to be good, but after downs to very boring level!

I saw this one today and it was horrible. Bad script, bad acting, shitty direction, the interiors looked so cheaply made and generally it didnā€™t feel like a spaghetti at all. Stelvio Ciprianiā€™s score was wonderful and it was such a pity to be wasted in this turkey.

Well, finally watched this and I must say that I actually enjoyed it very much! Sure the story was a little outrageous and the whole party scene in the middle seemed like a different movie, but it all worked. I think there were some strange atmospheres created by the camerawork, acting, but most importantly Stelvio Ciprianiā€™s soundtrack. Now everyone has their own opinions but I have no idea why anyone would say it doesnā€™t seem very spaghetti-likeā€¦ Sure, there were no open barren desert scenes, but I think there are plenty of other scenes with that spaghetti feeling (because of the camera angles, music, etc.) This is no bigger budget groundbreaking film by any means but I found it to be very enjoyable. SPOILER WARNING Is it me or did Giorgio Cerioniā€™s character already have some sort of ā€œfuture gunshot woundā€ on his back when he was standing in the window before he actually does get shot? It looks like that scene was shot afterwards because it looks like the tried to clean the shirt a bit.

Australian DVD release

Screenshotsā€¦

I assigned this 1 star but I must admit that itā€™s amateur-nessness, its incoherence, and a certain sleazy vibe make it ā€˜differentā€™ and watchable. Technically, this looks like a student film shot on rickety sets. The lighting is blatantly ā€˜theatricalā€™ and ā€˜hotā€™, and thereā€™s the goofy matte-painting done by a third grade art student stuck in a window pretending to be a view outside onto a sunny day though inside it seems to be nightime with all the lights blazing. The fact that the characters very rarely go outdoors adds an unintended but kinda interesting claustrophobic, no-exit, vampire movie vibe. I havenā€™t seen this in years (have it on an Italian tape watched a couple times), but I remember it vividly like a dream had after eating bad mushrooms --you can count that a backhanded compliment if you like, but I stick with my single star rating, as bad as they getā€¦just not as boring.

With the re used score by Cipriani and the credits that jump from credits to cheap horse riding shots, it confirmed I was in for a cheap ride. Thought I was in for the usual story of revenge, but the main guy turns out to be a slimy snake kind of guy. Story was easy to follow at first, but once I accepted the story was up its own arse, thinks were ok. Very cheap looking film which is lacking so many things, but I was in an undemanding western mood tonight, so it fitted the bill.

Does anybody know if the Greek DVD is in the same league as the Australian one with picture quality?

Forum member " candela " collects these Greece releases, he may knowā€¦

Greek DVD is pan&scan fullscreen and has hardcoded Greek subs.

I agree. This movie is really cheap and somewhat inept, but I remember end up liking it somewhat. I will need to look at it again and put up a little review.

Greek DVD is pan&scan fullscreen and has hardcoded Greek subs.

Thatā€™s right, I have the same DVD thatā€™s shown in the picture above.

I found this by hitting the random page button, is the guyā€™s name really Jack Sparrow? Would that just be a coincidence or is Pirates of the Caribbean really hiding a reference in there? :o Thought that seemed pretty cool!

Yes, this is the first film in which appears a character named Jack Sparrow.

I donā€™t think so, but one never knowsā€¦ :slight_smile:

[hr]

This is what I wrote three years ago in The Guess a movie screenshot thread:

[size=12pt]"[/size] The editing is sensationally incoherent and the actors are certainly not the top but there are some interesting moments, for example the hanging of an innocent, the unsolicited visit to the party and near the conclusion even an unexpected image that unequivocally brings to mind the ending of the contemporary Une corde, un colt/Cimitero senza croci.

After seeing Allegri becchiniā€¦ arriva TrinitĆ  and on the comedy front the matchless Alleluja e Sartana figli diā€¦ Dio, as a candidate for the title of worst SW of all time I find La legge della violenza definitely ā€œoverratedā€ā€¦ ;D [size=12pt]" [/size]

In a scene thereā€™s a mysterious flying shadow behind actress Igli Villani, first moving diagonally on the front of a house and then going up to the sky (best seen in widescreen)

Iā€™m positive thatā€™s just an insect on the camera lens.

In my opinion this hypothesis is to be discarded in the present case, for the simple reason that an insect can be out of focus but not totally see-through.