Kill and Pray / Requiescant (Carlo Lizzani, 1967)

It’s the Wild East, yes?

The Wild East has a Pal running time (no idea why) so it’s 106 min, and as far as I know it’s uncut, no longer version is known.

[quote=“stanton, post:21, topic:323”]It’s the Wild East, yes?

The Wild East has a Pal running time (no idea why) so it’s 106 min, and as far as I know it’s uncut, no longer version is known.[/quote]

No the print I got was from Atlas visuals. I think they ripped it from a VHS tape.

WE version only is 106 minutes eh? It was listed as 114 on amazon. Hmm maybe my version isn’t as cut as I thought but I had the feeling from watching it that it was severely cut, for instance at the end Lou Castel rides off with the mexican woman for no reason, I assumed that I missed a cut scene where they shared a romance. I don’t know.

The first 30 minutes were boring as hell. Damon was OK, i also liked the scene with the noose game in the saloon. The score had some unlistenable parts while Castel seemed so harmless and clean. Far from spaghetti western entertainment as a whole. 2/5

I agreed on 100% with Rev. Danite, I read Korano’s review, but I don’t see the political point in this film, only the biblical. Some like David (Castel role) and Goliah (Damon). The communism basic premiss is against social classes. Well, my point.

My review is a little confusing I think but if its Communist like you and I say, that would make it political.

But it’s obvious that Lizzani wanted to make lots of political statements with Requiescant. Even in the heavily cut 92 min german version there was no doubt about this.

Of course it’s political as well. The Question of chosing violence as a way of acting, then there’s the despot, and revolution.

I liked this one a lot. Not the typical SW and Mark Damon did a very good job as the bad guy.

Yeah I agree, I think this is Mark Damon at his best.

Yes, it is quite a political film. Just, to me, not a particulary good one. Lizzani talks about Requiescant during an interview on L’America a Roma.
I find it’s “message” pretty confused. But it has lots of weird elements that make it Spaghetti-like (the aforementioned drunken shooting contest, for instance). If you like Luisa Barrata, she is quite gorgeous in this one (she’s the one holding the candlabra).
Two more weird "Spaghetti-eque touches: Mark Damon has a padded room (a padded room like in a mental hospital!) on his estate that he puts his hysterical wife into. I gotta get me one of those (a padded room, not a hysterical wife). And Damon sketches that beating/torture sessions as they are being done. He’s a sensitive guy.
Oh yeah, and Franco Citti plays with a barbie doll.
I thought the barbed wire was quite fetching on Princy.

What about the implied homosexual relationship between Damon and his lead henchman whom Castel shoots in the barrom duel.

I suppose it is an amalgamation of political allegory and surreal. Which implies drug overtones which Weisser seems to get correct for once!

What do you mean by drug overtones?

Yes, Korano, I don’t quite get what you mean either.

Well…thats how Weisser put it. I’m sorry. Chew me up if you like :wink: :-[

But I suppose he is on to something. These overtones being most of the generally weird parts and maybe I was wrong in saying Drug. I am drawing a blank now.

Ok, it somehow is weird. Maybe the problem is, that I’ve never been that deep into drug consumption, so I can’t really judge if a flick is druggy or nor :wink:

This one is very political, and the character Damon was made to portray is one of the most repulsive/vulgar characters in all SW’s (IMO he was made to look like a nazi officer).

For me, this is one of the finest and most provocative of all Euro-Westerns. It toys with conventions, deconstructing the figure of the avenger/freedom fighter - Castel’s character surely fits nobody’s image of either of these archetypes - and boldly chucks in tracts on class conflict and political/racial oppression (sometimes too boldly for its own good).

I can understand why some people would run a mile from this amalgam of political cinema/countercultural excess, but I embrace it warmly as a quintessential example of Italian popular cinema of the Sixties.

And yes, Damon is brilliant here, blowing away every other performance he gave in Euro-Westerns.

I agree on that, and even playing such a villain is something many actors would have avoided.

Anyone know where to get this? Wild Easts DVD seems to be out and I’ve rented it enough times to know I ought to own it. Any help is appreciated.

The Brazilian DVD (Ocean) shows up periodically on the Amazon marketplace, sold by an import firm in Miami specializing in Latin American disks. That’s where I got mine.