Keoma (Enzo G. Castellari, 1976)

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:39, topic:311”]I have the Big Racket to watch, looking forward, as not seen before.

Have you seen the Herion Busters, also by same director and also stars Fabio.[/quote]
Heroin Busters is good but not as good as The big racket.
also check out Castellari’s STREET LAW also out on blue-underground

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:41, topic:311”]Heroin Busters is good but not as good as The big racket.
also check out Castellari’s STREET LAW also out on blue-underground[/quote]

Yes, I currently have a poor edition of STREETLAW under a different title, on the 23rd Century label.

I will have to upgrade.

Excellent late spaghetti. Castellari made several good spaghetti’s, but this is the most serious one. Amazing that they apparently didn’t even have a complete script when they made this one… at least, I think I read that somewhere. Funny how everybody is always bashing the music. I think it’s great too, it has a distinct gothic feel to it and so fits in nicely with the overal story. I also liked the way the 3 ‘bad’ sons turned against the leader of the gang in the end. Okay, it drags on a bit here and there, but a great effort nonetheless. Good locations, story, acting, music :smiley: and great extended gunfight with slow-mo parts. And you might even call it a ‘philosophical’ western, on some level.

This movie could have been so much better! If only some different music. The only way I can watch Keoma is to mute when the horrible music comes on.

I liked the instrumental part of the music but the singing was rather hard on the ears. They could have done without such extreme singing. Even though I am canadian I am no fan of Leonard Cohen. I guess the music did its job though, it gave the movie a haunting atmosphere.

1 Like

I saw Keoma for the first time today (er, yesterday technically) and I was prepared for the bizarre music. At first I thought, “What’s the big deal? It’s not that bad.” It kind of reminded me of the band Comus (weird prog-folk with elfish and evil vocals). As the film went on, the singing became more instrusive and annoying, especially the male vocals. If the lyrics were better I think it would’ve been a bit more tolerable, or perhaps they could’ve written more than one song…otherwise the music sans vocals was great.

Overall I kind of liked the movie. It’s one I’ll watch again mostly due to Nero’s performance. Three stars.

This is a great movie, it’s all been said but it is definitely the herald of the end of an era.

From the action sequences to the flashbacks to the great musical score, an all around solid flick.

I loved it. 5 stars from me, and the reason I give it 5 stars instead of 4 is because at the end of the movie I was already thinking about watching it again and what I might pick up from subsequent viewings. That, for me, is the sign of a great movie.

KEOMA 1976 is for me just OK/Fair

But it is NOTHING compared to the DJANGO 1966 and other Django 1960s Films.
I really don’t think the music in a film is so “vital” provided that its pleasant/melodic and
NOT some loud/heavy noisy rock/metal track that has me reaching for the OFF switch :’(

Well that is just fine then SD :D.

Having both Nero and Berger in it is a great combo. Adding Woody Strode is an added bonus.
Nero is in top form and the direction by Casteralli is top notch even if the slow motion was lifted from Peckinpah.
Considering this came out on '76 it is better than the bulk of so-so flicks that came out at the height of the Western craze in Europe.
Yeah it’s no Django but then again that was Corbucci and not Casteralli.

A great SW! Have seen it the first time about 15 years or more ago. But still can remember the scary look of the movie and the sound too. Really like the scene when Keoma runs in Slow Motion to kill the chief of the bandits. Enzo G. Castellari and Franco Nero have done a fine good work together. A good symbolism is in this movie too death and birth at the end of Keoma.

1 Like

Even with the bad music, I really loved everything about the movie. Just that one long take in the house where Keoma is just shooting every dude that happens to pop up is probably one of the best moments I’ve seen in an SW. But the one thing about the movie that was just bizarre was Woody Strode’s death howl. Instead of a loud bellow befitting a man such as him, the sound that comes out of his mouth is one loud ear-splitting screech. I know this was a poignant moment in the movie, but once that noise escaped his mouth I was laughing my head off since it was the weirdest thing to happen in any SW I’ve seen. Did anyone else notice the screeching?

1 Like

I actually loved Woody’s “Death Cry”. It was very fitting for the scene, as he was running on pure adrenoline and emotion. He was saying “FUCK IT!, you can put a few bullets in me but I’m going out and taking you all with me!”

Beautiful stuff.

I like KEOMA a great deal. I also think the music is good—apart from the hideous vocals which turn certain serious parts of the films into silly bits.
I quote: “Yeah…ders my braddah”!! It puts me in mind of the old American comedy record about Camp Granada…“hello muddah, hello faddah…”.

But even with the bad vocalizing, I think the film is quite good.
I happen to prefer Enzo’s JOHNNY HAMLET and KILL THEM ALL AND COME BACK ALONE over this one; but, I still think it is one of his best.
Personally, I prefer Castellari’s cop films over his Westerns. HIGH CRIME is a solid classic!

***By the way, Enzo has told me more than a few times that if he could re-do KEOMA the only thing he would change is the music!

Belongs to the ideas in the film which don’t work for me.

Well, Woody Strode never go down easily… Take a peek at Unholy 4 and you will see the same… If you want to kill Woody Strode you really have to mean it :slight_smile:

Does anybody know if there´s any kind of way to get the soundtrack album?

I do have the CD soundtrack, but it is long deleted now.

This is my first post, so I’d like to start by saying ‘hi’ to everyone. It’s good to see a forum where the users are not bitching at each other, even when having contrasting opinions.

Anyway…

I have to say that this is one of my favourite spaghettis - strange soundtrack & all.
It’s hard to find another SW that polarizes opinions as much as this movie.
Even though it’s slightly pretentious in places, I like everything about this movie & it includes my favourite Nero performance.

As far as the criticisms about the ‘Peckinpah’ slo-mo, I don’t see why people think that a technique can be owned by an individual. I actually prefer the slo-mo scenes in Keoma (in particular the bar scene) to the scenes in The Wild Bunch & I also prefer Keoma as a whole to The Wild Bunch - I can practically hear the gasps - but in my opinion The Wild Bunch is way overrated & quite dull until the final scene.

I think Keoma - with it’s flaws - was a great attempt at doing something a bit different & more symbolic than had been done in many SW.

That’s the way it ought to be.
Welcome!

I agree with your post on most points. I didn’t like this film the first time too much but it has grown on me since.