John Ford

But he is top billed!

The film is told from Stewart’ point of view, but the heart of the film is the Wayne role, so it’s wrong to call it a supporting role.
Marvin has a supporting role, while Wayne and Stewart are sharing the lead.

He was also top billed in The Longest Day…

[quote=“Stanton, post:22, topic:2321”]The film is told from Stewart’ point of view, but the heart of the film is the Wayne role, so it’s wrong to call it a supporting role.
Marvin has a supporting role, while Wayne and Stewart are sharing the lead.[/quote]
True, you do feel sympathy for Wayne’s character, and he is prominent in the film, so perhaps its right to call them both leads.

In rough order of preference:

The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
My Darling Clementine
Stagecoach
Fort Apache (not a fan of the Cavalry Trilogy really, but this is the best of the three for me, if only for Henry Fonda’s abrasive performance)

Anybody seen Ford’s The Fugitive? Sounds like something I’d like

A visually very impressive film

1. My Darling Clementine
  2. The Searchers
  3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  4. 3 Godfathers

I think those are the only ones I’ve seen, with the exception of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, which I found somewhat pretentious.

Happy Birthday, John Ford

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&fst=as%3Aoff&keywords=john%20ford&linkCode=ur2&linkId=0f5df9577adaea284b5e6cd86f69143e&qid=1454343801&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3Ajohn%20ford&rnid=2941120011&tag=spaghetti-western-20&linkId=WU4FVWK5TPHPYQXA

1 Like

The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
My Darling Clementine
3 Godfathers
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

Nice to see a lot of lists include 3 Godfathers. Ford once called it a sentimental favorite of his, largely due to the fact that it was a remake of a film he made with Harry Carey Sr. Look at the opening credits again. He dedicates it to “one of the bright shining stars if the early westerns.” (paraphrasing)

I’ve only seen Stagecoach so far myself.

I haven’t seen the first two, but the ones from places 3 to 5 in stanton’s list are in my top5 for now, and more or less in that order. (fifth is Rio Grande). I guess I have to see Clementine and Wagonmaster.

My Top 5

1. Fort Apache
  2. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
  3. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
  4. The Searchers
  5. The Horse Soldiers

I don’t really Like Clementine and haven’t seen Segeant Rutledge. Good memories of Wagon Master, Stagecoach, Three Godfathers, Rio Grande, mixed memories of Cheyenne Autumn, Two Rode Together. I haven’t seen Drums along the Mohawk in more than 30 years, so I should definitely watch it again

1.My Darling Clementine
2.The Searchers

3.Fort Apache
4.The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
5.She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Might be interesting for German-speaking and for French-speaking Western aficionados: Jean-Christophe Klotz’s new Arte docu on Ford.

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/080979-000-A/john-ford-der-mann-der-amerika-erfand/

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/080979-000-A/john-ford-l-homme-qui-inventa-l-amerique/

1 Like

I watched this by coincidence (accidentally found it while zapping the channels).
I found this one not that interesting, no real insight in his motives. Maybe because of my poor German understanding or the long movie clips this documentary did not appeal to me.
A pity because he truly was a great character.

1 Like

Great director!

My favorite of his westerns:

1. 3 Godfathers (1948)
  2. The Iron Horse (1924)
  3. Rio Grande (1950)
  4. The Searchers (1956)
  5. How the West Was Won (1962) - though he directed only one segment, I love this film!

Non-western faves:

They Were Expendable
The Quiet Man
Mogambo
Donovan’s Reef (I know, it didn’t have much of a plot.)

Films like The Grapes Of Wrath and The Fugitive just didn’t leave much of an impression on me, one way or another.

Stagecoach is one of my favorites with the spectacular stunt by Yakima Cannutt.
Also the Searchers is one of my favorites.
He was truly a great director.