Joe, cercati un posto per morire!/Find a place to die (1968, G. Carnimeo) REVIEW

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:19, topic:1010ā€]I saw THE MOMENT TO KILL a long, long time ago (in cinema!), but a DVDr is on itā€™s way to Turnhout, Belgium (all the way from Pori, Finland)

Iā€™ll do a review ASAP ![/quote]

Looking forward to that. Iā€™m pretty curious what you think about it.

[quote=ā€œstanton, post:20, topic:1010ā€]But The Moment to Kill has the typical narrative structure of all the other Carnimeo SWs with a whodunit and several double crosses. Not a surprise, the screenplay was (co)written by his usual collaborator Tito Carpi.

The only real difference is the absence of humour or comedy parts, itā€™s a much darker film.[/quote]

True!
But, for meā€¦the humor and comedy elements are what makes up a large portion of Carnimeoā€™s recognized ā€œstyleā€. That is whyā€¦in my opinionā€¦neither THE MOMENT TO KILL or FIND A PLACE TO DIE feel like ā€œtypicalā€ Carnimeo films.

Yes, but thereā€™s an development which increases from western to western, from no comedy in The Moment to Kill up to the pure comedy/no violence point in the awful Tresette films.

Typical for Carnimeo are of course all the in-between films, the Sartana, Camposanto, Halleluja, Spirito Santo Spags.

Watched this last night, for the second time of viewing and thoroughly enjoyed it. Every liā€™l bit of it!
I have been criticized previously for being mean to dear olā€™ Jeff (but I donā€™t really want to bring up the ghost of Christmas past) but I thought he was brilliant in this. After me giving In a Coltā€™s Shadow a slating for being too wordy, this was a breath of fresh spaghetti air. Well for me anyway - Jeff and the boys looked as sweaty a bunch of bastards (their words) as Iā€™ve seen. This is a grimy and nasty film with a lot of implied rather than explicit violence. We donā€™t see Chato or the Reverend (oh my :P) do any of the torturing - just see the results or hear the cries.
Instead of all the talk - Jeff looks sideways or has a wry grin to convey his thoughts at times, and when he does explain stuff it has a world-weariness that suits him well. Indeed scherp, him tunelessly groaning along to the song (and sweating into his whisky) was well done - itā€™s a great song. Thereā€™s also (God forbid) a bit of tantilisingly mild nudity in this from both of the lead ladies. I liked the shootout as well scherp and wasnā€™t bothered by the plot holes - gotta say it again - I loved it!
So another one for my top 25 (which actually holds about 50 at the moment) ;).
On a trivial note -I did see Jeff as similar in style, and sounding like James Garner in this ā€¦ which means I need to see Sledge yet again.
And I reckon thereā€™s one for the lookalikee thread ā€¦ for Nello Pazzafini - see what you think on the appropriate thread?

saw this last night.didnā€™t do a lot for me iā€™m afraid.showed promise at the beginning and is not a total loss but just found it very,veryordinary. 5/10

It begins quite well, but becomes boring and unexciting progressively. The locations however are amazing, and also the score has some great moments. Hunterā€™s character is not anything exceptional, he talks more than he should and i donā€™t like the way heā€™s dressed at all. The attraction between him and the woman detaches much from the Spaghetti element of the movie. Probably all these things would make some sense if the film was shot 3 years earlierā€¦ 2.5/5 stars

Hate this movie.
It doesnā€™t even feel like a Carnimeo flick.
Just a very standard style.

Can anybody explain what Gregonese was doing on this project? I meen, what is a South American doing on an Italian movie?

Finally saw it with the fuck it mentality. Pleasantley surprised though. I think it has a good pace and while I likethe story, the plot, even from the original Garden of Evil, lacks logic. If your wounded and surrounded by bandits, why would you even expect to live just lying their by your wagon. Youā€™ll not only get cold but dead! No one to keep guard. You have to fall asleed. Your doomed man! And she acts all surprised when heā€™s dead. pffff ::slight_smile:

pffff, that about sums up my feelings about this entire film. I seriously doubt i will re-visit this one.

Saw it for the first time today, and I guess I agreeā€¦ But I wouldnā€™t associate it with Garden Of Evil. That film had deeper problems. This one only had some minor ones, like the one you described. The Chato-character was virtually undeveloped, and he was assassinated too easily. The larger flaw was in the editing of the final gun-battle. The camera switched perspectives so much that I had trouble figuring where everybody was on the hillscape; if a village-survivor was being shot, or a bandit. Overall, I enjoyed it. Carnimeo gives the audience credit for having intelligence concerning the pursuit of gold. Hathawayā€™s Garden Of Evil seems grimly determined to preach to us about it.