Murieta / Joaquín Murrieta (George Sherman, 1965)

Database page: Joaquin Murrieta - The Spaghetti Western Database

Not sure I’d classify it a spaghetti western… more a eurowestern as the database suggests. Has anyone seen this film? If so, how is it? Being that it is directed by an American, I’m a little leary about it. :-\

I thought it to be very good and sw in ethos. Jeff Hunter was believable as a Mexican. I’ve done a search and found what I had to say in ‘last western…’ thread …
Welcome btw…

“I on the other hand, watched Murieta (ridiculously titled Revenge of Sartana).
An early (1965) spanish/american production that deals with racism and violence against mexican gold prospectors, Joachin Murieta and his wife. Forces of circumstance and the murder of his wife (she gets ‘planted’ in the ground Phil, - maybe the wife’ll appreciate this one) lead him on a cold-blooded path of hate and revenge.
It’s a great little morality play revolving around 4 main characters, and there are spaghetti-ish shades of grey at play at times. Jeffrey Hunter is brilliant imo as Murieta; Arthur Kennedy is equally good also as his friend/nemesis, and as the “law is the law” man. Roberto Camardiel plays a sort of Fernando Sancho, larger than life, character called ‘3 Fingers’ and there’s a marvellous scene in this when Murietta and 3 Fingers are deciding on wether the latter should hang - the acting in this bit (as in the film overall) is superb, and the puzzled look on Hunter’s face is priceless.
The last main character is ‘Ham and Eggs’ Kate, brilliantly and beautifully played by Diana Lorys.
As you’ve surely gathered I really enjoyed this.”

Watched this tonight. It was better than I thought it would be, but I don’t think I’ll ever watch it again. It did seem very American-ish (however Camardiel was definitely a Fernando Sancho type!) The movie was actually kind of sad (this coming from a guy who hates most people, that’s right, haha) in the beginning when Murietta’s wife is killed… I imagined myself in the same situation… but it definitely made for some good revenge! There was one thing I could not stand and that’s how most of the “Mexicans” talked… it sounded like the way indians would talk, not Mexicans!

Edit: The music wasn’t very good either! Anyone else notice the Twilight Zone ending here and there?

Also… I think I spotted the shadow of a boom mic when Murietta is at the table after getting better. Figured I’d mention it.

It’s boring as hell.

Certainly not for me.
My feelings are much closer to the Rev’s. A good story, and the lead well played by Hunter. A bit hokey in places but enjoyable for all that.
It is, however, one of the worst culprits of anachronistic firearms appearances in the whole genre. 1850 apparently, yet everyone is carrying a winchester or colt peacemaker. Oh well. No reason for such silliness to spoil an otherwise enjoyable story.

Thanks for the post Phil, completely forgot I had this one to view :stuck_out_tongue: .

It’s not usual but actually this Murrieta was recommended by my girlfriend who have seen a documentary about the character on TV. The DVD that I own - DIVISA - has some extras where we can read something about this wild east hero and the linkage with Robin Hood’s character.

Jeffrey Hunter plays a mexican ( and a pretty good job to ) on the revenge path after his wife is killed. He lets things go to his head a little to much though and becomes a leader of a group of bandits. Arthur Kennedy plays the understanding lawman. Pretty funny scene involving Hunter and Roberto Camardiel as he is about to be hanged. Alot better than you would think this one, and well worth a look if you do not mind the early ones. [font=times new roman][/font]

The supposed alternate titles I colorados and La mano della vendetta refer to a concentrate of episodes (Joaquin Murietta, Tiburcio Vasquez) from 1954 TV series Stories of the Century and to The Desperate Mission (1969) respectively, so I’ve deleted them from the Database. The correct Italian title is Murieta John.

Here`s the new Scan of the German theatrical Trailer for the upcoming BD release:

2 Likes

This film’s page in our database has been updated to the new layout. Please contribute to it.