Italian war movies aka Macaroni Combat

I think I’ve only seen two of these, Attentato ai Tre Grandi (Lenzi) and Quel Maledetto Treno Blindato (Castellari). Quel Maledetto Treno Blindato was a pretty cool movie. I actually liked it better than some of Castellari’s westerns. A lot of action with an A-Team like plot. And Fred Williamson is in it! Attentato ai Tre Grandi focused on German commando’s, which was a nice change. They’re dropped in the Maroccan desert and are on a mission to kill Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin. Horst Frank stars. Pretty solid stuff, but it can’t hold candle to Quel Maledetto Treno Blindato.
Anyway, can anybody else recommend soe more spaghetti war epics?

5 FOR HELL (5 PER L’INFERNO) is a great film from 1969 directed by spaghetti western regular Gianfranco Parolini (under his Frank Kramer banner) starring Gianni Garko and Klaus Kinski and a whole load of recognizable faces including Luciano Rossi and Sal Borgese. :slight_smile:

Five for Hell is great fun. Anyone who enjoys Parolini’s westerns will probably like this one too.

I think I haven’t seen any others except Lenzi’s Desert Commandos.

Yeah, just bought the DVD on Saturday. Great Koch release. I am so happy about it…

This one seems interesting toö:
I Leopardi di Churchill (1970/Maurizio Pradeaux)

Ayone seen it? There’s a Greek dvd.

BL believe me, it is not !!! Well, Kinski is doing well (as usual) but the movie is really cheesy and cheaply made !!! At least that’s my opinion ! Might be worth a watch though !? There’s also a German DVD out: ‘Churchills Leoparden’; runs about 88min.; cover is about the same=big picture of Kinski.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:6, topic:622”]This one seems interesting toö:
I Leopardi di Churchill (1970/Maurizio Pradeaux)

Ayone seen it? There’s a Greek dvd.

[/quote]

This film is going to be released by Wildeast productions in a double package also including “Salt in the wounds”

http://www.wildeast.net/catalog1.html

[quote=“Dorado, post:8, topic:622”]This film is going to be released by Wildeast productions in a double package also including “Salt in the wounds”

http://www.wildeast.net/catalog1.html[/quote]Nice to see other Italian genre releases from Wild East too. To a Kinski-fan like me this seems to be something I’ll definitely gonna buy.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:9, topic:622”]Nice to see other Italian genre releases from Wild East too. To a Kinski-fan like me this seems to be something I’ll definitely gonna buy.[/quote]i know, what happened to the crime films?, they released “Violent professionals” ages ago and not anything else!

I recommend LA BATTAGLIO DEL DESERTO (Desert Battle). It’s a bit of a hard one to find and is only on vid. There’s some good reviews for it at imdb … quotes ‘The BEST Italian Spaghetti-style war movie’.
A bunch of allies are stuck behind enemy lines but put a German armoured car out of action. It then becomes a survival battle - short on petrol,food and water. I quote from the back of the vid box …
‘An uneasy agreement is reached between the two crews … only hope of survival is to travel together. This leads to the revival of old hatreds and loyalties but eventually brings out the true characters of all involved.’
(I would pass on my vid of it 'scept the first 1/2 hour is knackered - sorry.)
Oh yeah - and it stars spaghetti favourites George Hilton and Robert Hossein, but best of all a completely deranged performance by the great Frank Wolff!

I’d like to point everybody’s attention to

www.grindhousedatabase.com

our new sister site

Stumbled upon an enthusiastic review of Castellari’s Inglorious Bastards:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66930

I hope SD can open this reference, so he’ll notice that not all ‘serious’ critics are losers, like our good friend the late Hally Notsowell

I’ve never seen the film (not a great supporter of war movies) but it seems an interesting aquisition

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:13, topic:622”]Stumbled upon an enthusiastic review of Castellari’s Inglorious Bastards:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66930

I hope SD can open this reference, so he’ll notice that not all ‘serious’ critics are losers, like our good friend the late Hally Notsowell

I’ve never seen the film (not a great supporter of war movies) but it seems an interesting aquisition[/quote]

Inglorious Bastards is by no means a great film, but it’s a lot of fun.
It’s a “Dirty Dozen” rip-off

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:13, topic:622”]Stumbled upon an enthusiastic review of Castellari’s Inglorious Bastards:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66930[/quote]
They even put the link to sw database on the end of the review (to this topic to be specific) ;D

Yes Scherpy I see this film as a useful action movie which benefits from the presence of

BO SVENSON Fred Williamson But the other cast is not attractive/ animated 4 me.

“Inglorious Bastards” 1978 or “Quel Maledetto Treno Blindato” 1978

Is about some USA soldiers during WW11 shipped off and their adventures…
I am not a War Films Fan except for that masterpiece MERCENARIES 1968 but I
see sometimes the diseased critics like HalliDead may give a “decent review” but the
vast majority of their reviews are totally twisted and malicious :’( Hence I fight them :smiley:

those are automatic backlinks. as soon as i delete the post above, it will disappear. it’s an automatic thing

Inglorious Bastards is great fun. For spaghetti westerns fans it’s especially nice seeing Donald O’Brien in a small role as en eeevil nazi officer. Definitely recommended.

Yes, great fun this one!, and of course we have Mr cool Fred Williamson in ;).

Uh yes, recently saw him in The New Barbarians and 1990: The Bronx Warriors which are also both highly recommended. The 40-minute interview with Fred Williamson on the Shriek Show-release of Bronx Warriors is worth the price of admission alone…

I’ve mentioned it before on this thread, has anybody else seen ‘Desert Battle’, and have any views? It’s got plenty of spaghetti-favourites in it - Hilton, Hossein and a magnificently deranged Frank Wolff. My (English/no subs) video is unfortunately knackered :’( and finding another proving nigh on impossible. I’d like to see this again sometime.