I’ll Sell My Skin Dearly / Vendo cara la pelle (Ettore Maria Fizzarotti, 1968)

Now on Netflix Germany etc

Three actors are credited only on posters and lobby cards: Serafino Profumo (as Seraphin Profumo), Ake Wahl and… Pedro Gonzales.

Sandro Scarchilli (his character is called Gonzalez) or the South American actor who plays Miguel? :thinking:

unnamed

Do you know him?

Surely if the poster credit referred to Scarchilli they would have used his name or maybe an English sounding name closer to his name. :wink:

No, but he is looking kind of familiar.

Anything can happen in SW credits, certainly not lacking oddities (for instance Berti playing Bill Jackson and Musolino credited as Bill Jackson in Go with God Gringo, or Runachagua credited as Sonko in The Stranger Returns and playing Sonko in Vengeance and Massacre Time). :slightly_smiling_face:

In logic all four actors playing the murderers should be credited in one way or another…

I have watched a DVD-R of I’ll Sell My Skin Dearly and it felt rather loose in its structure sometimes, and with boring fist fights and some killings made by the bad guys that felt excaggerated when some maybe random gathered citizens couldn’t tell where Shane had gone.

My copy had several inserted Spanish dialogue sequences, usually with the kid. Perhaps an English spoken copy had cut those scenes, maybe for the better… Cjamango also suffers from some unnecessary sentimentality kid scenes.

My DVD-R got freezed around 4 minutes left, but I was able to watch an Italian video afterwards on Youtube where I understood that I was spared a “happy” ending (if I had not watched it on Youtube).

Overall the film looked OK, with good music, but the borrowed (nice) Morricone piece seemed odd. I discovered another good, but borrowed theme at around 18.20 minutes in my copy, which I think was from Django, Prepare A Coffin, but haven’t checked it out.
I have no big objection against the lead actor Mike Marshall with his round staring blue eyes. He reminded me of Terence Hill in Django. Prepare A Coffin.
Still I probably will never rate this 6/10 or higher, so I am not sure that I will bother to get a replacement copy without freezing defect.

Good film this one!

wow… I can’t believe what I just read.

so you bought some bootlegs from cultaction with somewhat crappy video & audio quality and theses discs actually freeze during play ?

You certainly got scammed hard my friend…ask for a refund if you bought them with paypal.

There’s a nice netflix version

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: DVDR shops - grey market, bootlegs, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t79WnTvGEzY

Somehow Netflix ()The Netherlands) slowly realizes there is more than the ususla Hollywood blockbusters there are some nice movies out there for the summer, Vendo Cara la pelle being one of them. Saw it in Italian with Dutch subtitles. Now that is sporadic for even a BluRay.

I must say I enjoyed this movie very much. Had not seen it before I found it very entertaining.

Mike Marshall is a good lead. His psychopathic look and grin seem very believable for his role. Unfortunately he did noy more westerns.

Also the female lead was more extensive than usual and Michele Girardon did this very well.

It is a shame that both died young, Mike due to illness and Michelle by her own decision.

The story is pretty straightforward with a revenge story. Shane returns to his old home where both his parents and sister were slaughtered by 4 murderers. During the shooting Shane was a boy and not at home. We do not know how but he knows who murdered his parents.

He shoots a chain of the sign as a shooting practice and takes 4 chain links to lay upon the assassins bodies.

The first two are pretty fast into the movie done with in Spaghetti style. The boss of the gang (Dane Savours) and his brother are delt with in the final part of the movie.

There is also the bully of the gang boss, played by Spartaco Conversi. A mean bastard hardly restrained by his boss

In the middle part the “resurrection” of he hero takes place when shot in the leg is treated by Michele and her son.

Overall the story, although the standard revenge, is pretty decent brought to life. Maybe because of the reference to “Shane” that are obvious present in the middle and end part of the movie.

Directional / filmic the movie has some nice treats. I liked the way the arrival of the bad guys at the Bennet farm. Shots of positioning arms and the shot “through the legs” were nicely cut.

Also the music is well but there was some borrowing of other composers.

I enjoyed this one very much. Hope to see more of these.

After the second watching I definitely rate it 5/10, mainly due to the too long rather boring scenes with the child and his mother - the mother who had shown no open interest in the antihero but suddenly proclaimed she loved him (and he almost didn’t react) so she wanted him to stay. The scenes with the leading bad guy’s henchmen often seemed rather silly to me.

And my replacement DVD-R also stopped functioning at the same place, i.e around 4 minutes before the end :wink: Still I am pleased to now have got nearly 30 DVD-Rs with 6/10 or higher rated SWs that seldom or never have had any now available official English-friendly DVD/Bluray releases.

1 Like

This is happening quite often in the dynamics of the male-female relationship… :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the information JonathanCorbett. I must have missed the relevant part in my biology education - and in the school of life… :innocent:

To my great surprise I stumbled upon this film now on Netflix while on vacation. I have a English audio version of it but it’s been sometime since I saw it so it might be time for a rewatch.

Good to see Netflix putting out some SWs. Johnny Colt and Have A Good Funeral, Sartana Will Pay is also on there.

1 Like

Finally watched it. Mixed feelings. Some very good moments (the scene in the cemetery) and a boring middle part. Mike Marshall looks like he doesn’t know what character he’s playing - a psychopathic killer or a friendly buddy.

4 Likes

A print is up on ebay, in case someone is interested :smiley:

2 Likes

only 16mm, then I prefer the HD version on Netflix :slight_smile:

You need to buy it for the English audio though! :rofl:

I don’t tho

1 Like

This film’s page in the database has been updated to the new layout. Please help us improve it.