I Just Bought … (the SW Shopping Diary)

the spanish blu ray is 115 minutes… and blu-ray.com says the german blu ray is so I believe it’s the same.

by the way what does platinum cult edition means anyway… it’s just some random cool words :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, random cool words. But it helps us to be certain we are talking about the same thing

Hmm, there’s a quite negative review on Amazon about the picture quality.

Anybody here bought it?

I have it and I haven’t opened it yet. I would have liked the option of watching the shorter version in HD. I think there’s only English on the longer cut

1 Like

I also have it but never opened it so far, but I would urge those who have, to let us know about the validity of the information about it in the SWDb so we can adjust the info there accordingly

Arrived today. I’m hoping to get a look at it later tonight.

EDIT Well, it’s a slight picture quality upgrade on my Today It’s Me… Tomorrow It’s You! Dutch FilmWorks DVD. It’s not a definitive remaster by any means but it’s better. English audio only, subs in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish. No extras.

If you don’t own Today We Kill… Tomorrow We Die! at all I’d say it’s a must-buy purely on the strength of the movie which imho is a definite top 20 spag. If you already own a DVD I’d recommend you have a think about just how much you love this film and let that guide you as to how worth it it is for a slight picture quality upgrade. I love the film as I say so, for me, I’m glad I bought it.

1 Like

Got these today. Mostly sw but some other goodies too.

2 Likes

What language is the GBU? Finnish? Swedish?

Finnish. Good patch of sw discs for a finn as all those have finnish subtitles.

I would love to hear the man with no name speak Finnish.

That would be funny. But only the children stuff is dubbed in Finland, all the rest is subtitled.

1 Like

Shame that. I have heard MWNN in German, which was cool.

Looking forward to seeing Bill San Antonio himself review the God Forgives blu-ray.

2 Likes

It might just be me but I didn’t think the Blu-ray of God Forgives was much better than the Dutch DVD. Great for people who missed out on the DVD though. I need to pick up the other two Blu-rays. I imagine Buddy Goes West will be an improvement over the US DVD, which had dreadful sound quality.

“Zwei wilde Companeros - Limitiert auf 666 Stück - Platinum Cult Edition - Uncut & HD Remastered" has excellent picture quality on the BluRay disc. Worries may arise from the freeze frame opening sequence, where some of the freeze shots have scratches and dirt, because this probably happened when the shots were first duped in the lab.
There is English audio, but it occasionally drops into Spanish for sequences that were cut out of the shorter English version. There are no English subtitles to cover these sequences.
In the US the shorter film became “Turn the Other Cheek”, with some silly animated titles involving bottoms, and a song sung by Lynn Redgrave, some of which can be spotted in the US Trailer in the extras.
If I was making a shorter version of the film, I wouldn’t have made the same excision choices they did. The whole Marilu Tolo family thing is totally unnecessary. It slows the film down, and in a film that is an action romp, the deaths of two innocent bystanders is not a clever idea. They probably left it in because you get a glimpse of Tolo’s naked left mammary. If that’s your bag, watch “Bluebeard”. At least she’s not wearing sticking plaster over her nipples, like she does in Roy Colt and Winchester Jack.
The sequence I would have kept is the one after the mine, where Wallach does his big El Salvador speech, followed by the funny bit where they leave Lynn Redgrave in a Federale prison. That keeps her in the picture, rather than dumping her for a trip down memory lane with Wallach’s family.
Nero is doing his foreigner in Mexico routine, this time a Russian Prince, from the same stable as “Yod the Swede”, and “Sergei Kowalski, Polish emigre to the New World”; whilst Wallach reruns Calvera who became Tuco who became Cacopolous, and by golly this is what we want to see again and again. The introduction of Lynn Redgrave adds extra spice and who cannot enjoy a movie whose final scene involves Ms Redgrave yelling “You fucking bastards” at our escaping heroes? In an Irish accent, too.

2 Likes

Just made my first purchase on the OFDb website, very good service

A big thanks to Soren, aka AvatarDK, for bringing the site to my attention.

1 Like

They look, great.

1 Like

Finally picked up these German discs I’ve been wanting for awhile.

3 Likes

I just after 3 weeks of slow shipping received Hate Thy Neighbor (Ferdinando Baldi) , luckily enough the last day before returning to the promised land of SWs locations (and not so promised “mascarillas” - but not when running).
The DVD doesn’t state English audio on the cover but I hope the specifications on the Amazon add were more correct (I haven’t checked yet).
Baldi’s Viva Django / Django, Prepare A Coffin and The Forgotten Pistolero are really good, and maybe I will appreciate Hate Thy Neighbor more on DVD than when I watched it recently on Youtube (6/10 ?)

Hate Thy Neighbor

2 Likes

I’m letting go of some German discs (due to replacement by BluRay), for those interested do PM me, I need to re-check which titles they are all in all