I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

New blu-ray:

Upgrades from blu-ray to 4K UHD blu-ray:

3 Likes

New 4K UHD blu-ray:

6 Likes

I’m not really into the superhero film thing but long story short I was thinking of buying and watching this on Blu. What are your thoughts on it?

2 Likes

I’m not really into superheroes either but I enjoyed it a lot. It’s a really well made film in every aspect and you’d probably enjoy it whether you like superheros or not :+1:

3 Likes

I wrote this on another site a few months ago immediately after seeing it at the cinema:

Caught The Batman (Reeves, 2022) last night. The last 15-20mins could’ve wrapped up quicker than they did, and some of the more kinetic fight/chase sequences had a tendency to become quite muddled, largely thanks to the movie’s overriding colour palette of black, black, rain, black, rain, rain, a splash of neon red, some more rain and a bit more black on top for luck.

But I’m nitpicking (and tbh I didn’t mind the murky palette at all; suits Gotham imho). The vast majority of the movie went by without feeling like a 3hr slog despite my bumhole having gone completely numb after 20mins and being in genuine torment from about the hour mark onwards. Thanks, seats at the Canvey Island Movie Starr! Sending the Caped Crusader back to his Detective Comics roots put the movie at times more akin to noir and gangster classics like The Big Sleep or White Heat than to its modern day superhero blockbuster contemporaries (that’s a good thing, btw). And performances were terrific across the board, in particular Paul Dano as the unhinged, Zodiac-inspired Riddler, John Turturro and an utterly unrecognisable Colin Farrell as mob boss Carmine Falcone and his violent lieutenant Oz “The Penguin” Cobblepot respectively, and surprise of the bunch Zoë Kravitz as Selina Kyle, doing a way better job than I thought she would.

Things could change after a repeat viewing or two but, as things stand, I’d say The Batman is an easy top ten favourite superhero picture for me, and might even scrape my top five.

Having seen it again last night I’ve really just solidified that initial opinion. It’s overlong and a little muddy in the action sequences but it’s brilliant nonetheless, and probably a really decent superhero movie for people who don’t generally like them. :+1:

4 Likes

Many thanks guys. I’ll buy a copy when I get paid :+1:

1 Like

Found one of my favourite American films in a local charity shop for a quid.

5 Likes

A great Walter Hill film. I haven’t seen it in years so it might be about time for a re-watch.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen it for a good while either…it’ll be nice to re-watch it. I should probably try and get hold of The Driver as well. Still can’t believe I’ve never owned that one.

1 Like

Imprint will announce a Walter Hill collection tomorrow

2 Likes

Some new pick-ups, both new:

Enzo G. Castellari and Franco Nero. Another that I am embarrassed I have not yet seen but that will be rectified soon.

A further dive into South Korean cinema (upon recommendation from my nephew’s South Korean fiance) with a film starring Choi Min-sik of Oldboy fame. Not for the faint of heart as this movie is chock full of graphic violence but this is an absolutely mesmerizing piece of cinema with an engrossing “cat and mouse” story. I absolutely loved it.

But, after this recommendation, I am left to wonder if my future niece is the sweet wholesome girl I thought she was. :anguished:

…and some great yard sale finds today totaling $4.00

A Pam Grier triple feature.

The last of which completes my Justified collection.

5 Likes

Street Law - you’re in for a treat

2 Likes

Nice haul there my friend, still need to pick up a copy of Street Law myself, but I’ll be getting the German Blu Ray. Heard a lot of good things about both I Saw the Devil and Valdez is Coming, and you can never go wrong with some Corman produced stuff.

A friend of mine who does acting appeared twice on Justified, he’s on a hiatus from acting at the moment to be with his wife and kids.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a huge Justified fan. My family all came out of Harlan County where so much of the show was set and where Raylan himself was from. I have old property maps from the 1840s showing how my fourth great grandfather owned all of the property in the river bottoms from Harlan itself to what would eventually become Evarts (where Raylan was born), a total of nine miles. We still go up there to visit family and when we do, we always have to go the Dairy Hut that Raylan often talked about for a cheeseburger and milkshake. :laughing:

As I said, I really loved I Saw the Devil. Very violent but very well done.

2 Likes

Loved Justified. Great series

1 Like

Just picked up a few of the recent UK Polizioteschi releases. Seems like they have taken over from Gialli as the most popular for new releases here.

I already have the Region 1 Blue Underground DVD but couldn’t resist double dipping on this as like to support such things and am keen to read Howard Hughes’ new essays in the booklet.

Studio Canal seem to have jumped into the cult film space here now too so this one was a no brainer. I like the cards they are including i their releases too.

Another upgrade from DVD and one I haven’t actually watched in some years but remeber fondly.

So, Studio Canal, Eureka, 88Films and Arrow all now bringing out Polizios in the UK. Looking forward to some more of this :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

It’s such a shame that Studio Canal released the butchered version, the packaging looks real nice…

3 Likes

New blu-rays:

5 Likes

Two films that I’m putting by as ‘premiers’ for Christmas.

5 Likes

Pre-ordered (due out in August):

4 Likes