I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

I didn’t even know this existed. :open_mouth:

It was released back in 2001 so it’s ancient :slight_smile:

Sebastian extended the on-site Wild East-catalogue now also containing non-spaghetti western entries. You should check that out for other misses :slight_smile:

Upgrade from DVD to Blu-Ray:

New Blu-Rays:

New DVDs:

New Blu-Ray:

New blu-ray:

Just ordered:

Upgrade from DVD to Blu-Ray:

Got that myself some time ago and just finished the watching the series again again a couple of months ago. Each time I tell
myself that season 2 cannot be as bad as I remember it and each time when we reach episode 7 or so in that season I find that it indeed is that bad :slight_smile: It will be great watching season 3 when it’s done though but it requires some solid original writing and hopefully not a whole season of damm good coffee and pie-eating. I’m a massive Lynch-fan by the way.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a Lynch fan too. I wasn’t going to bother updating Twin Peaks tbh - it predates our current Golden Age of television and it hasn’t aged fantastically imho - but I saw it in HMV for £20 (it goes for something like £55-£60 on Amazon, I think), so I snapped it up. I’m looking forward to seeing it again though, I haven’t watched it since they released the “Definitive” Gold Box DVD set.

Fave Dave:

1. Mulholland Drive (2001)
  2. Wild at Heart (1990)
  3. The Elephant Man (1980)
  4. Blue Velvet (1986)
  5. INLAND EMPIRE (2006)
  6. Lost Highway (1997)
  7. Eraserhead (1977)
  8. The Straight Story (1999)
  9. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)
  10. Dune (1984)

If I were to compare TV shows to movies I’d likely place Twin Peaks (the first season, certainly) inbetween Blue Velvet and INLAND EMPIRE, although it’s probably not an entirely fair comparison.

I’m still unsure as to whether I’m looking forward to the new season or dreading it. I guess I just don’t want it to f#ck up, for a new generation to say, “Meh, was that it? What was the fuss about?”, as though Twin Peaks wasn’t aeons ahead of its time.

1 Like

Nice list. I haven’t made one myself but I do know my favourites :slight_smile:

I have a hard time not putting Lost Highway on at odd moments so that has to hit my number one spot. And then it’s a bundle of joy in second place of Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive. All excellent Lynch and I simply cannot say I prefer one over the other. Inland Empire I’ve only seen once so that one will have to be uncategorized for now. That will be the next Lynch-movie I rewatch.

I still don’t understand why Twin Peaks’ 2nd season should be worse than the first. Up to episode 17 it is as fantastic and concentrated as the first 8 episodes. I don’t see any kind of quality drop up to that point. I even think that episode 9 (pilot of the 2nd season) and episode 15 are the best of all.

After the murder case is “solved” it begins to fray a.little bit, but it is still great fun to watch. And the ending is fantastic again.

If you read what I write you’ll see that I say it gets worse after around episode 7 of season 2. That is episode 15 or so, so I think we agree :slight_smile: Just after solving of the first murder it falls apart. Dreadful script, awful dialogue, it becomes a parody of itself. I also used to think that the last episode were great but didn’t think so this last time around. Just a bunch of cliff-hangers that probably wouldn’t lead to anything in the third season that never came (then) and probably will be ignored now.

The first season of Twin Peaks was absolutely fantastic. I liked most of the second season, as well, except for the very first and last episodes. Funny enough, Lynch directed both of those and I felt he did a bad job. The last episode was especially bad. The black lodge scenes were incredibly boring and the cliffhanger always annoyed me. If Lynch wanted to redeem the last episode of Twin Peaks, he should have filmed a conclusion when he made Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me but instead he decided to make a prequel, which was pretty terrible.

My favourite Lynch films:

Blue Velvet
The Elephant Man
Eraserhead
The Straight Story

I think he planned to make several Twin Peaks movies but since the first one was a flop he couldn’t make more. Personally I think it’s one of Lynch’s best movies.

For me this all belongs to the best Lynch ever directed.

You can view the end of Twin Peaks as a bunch of cliffhangers, but you can also view the end as a real end, and I think it is a fantastic end. I wish Lynch had devised it as an end.

Actually only the fate of Ben is a cliffhanger, the ones in the bank should be very dead, and the last shot of Cooper is a wonderful open ending, which at the same time is a perfect ending for all that what was before.

And the new series must be brilliant not to spoil this ending.

I was disappointed by Fire Walk with Me when I watched it first in the theatre, but later it grew on me. Still a bit hectic instead of the calm Twin Peaks rhythm, but at least a 8/10 meanwhile.

My latest purchase is Superuomini, superdonne, superbotte AKA Return of the Barbarian Women. It looks terrible, which is why I’m excited to watch it. :wink:

Pre-ordered:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice arrives Monday, Batman: The Killing Joke arrives the following Monday, Captain America: Civil War arrives early September.

Pre-ordered this great film, which I missed when released by Kinowelt years ago. Hopefully Pidax Film has done a good job. Amazon.de has it scheduled August 12.

Just got the Female Prisoner Scorpion: The Complete Collection from Arrow:

Cool cover by comic book artist Ian MacEwan.