I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

New blu-ray:

New DVD:

New DVDs:

-

New DVD:

Alas, this is a pretty poor routine from the former stand-up great. But apparently he’s retiring so, for me, this completes his collection of stand-up DVDs.

I’ve owned this movie before, along with its fckawful American remake. But I only watched the remake, found it to be fckawful, and ditched both movies. Over the years though Pulse (aka Kairo) (Kurosawa, 2001) has developed a bit of a reputation for itself as a genuine frightener. As it happens it isn’t, IMO, but it’s an interesting film nonetheless.

An almost totally redundant movie that ends up way better than it has any right to be (an awful scatalogical gag that almost kills the movie dead notwithstanding). Better than the first movie, for sure.

New Blu-Ray:

“I’m going to hear you confess before you die. You raped my sister. You murdered her. You killed her children. Say it now and we can end this quick. Say it! You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!”

Not as good as it could have been OR should have been but, away from the hoopla, not all that bad either by any means. One or two genuinely thrilling set-pieces, certainly. Could have done with more Bryan Cranston and less Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and they could have trimmed it by a good twenty minutes. But I enjoyed it enough to pick it up for £7, anyway.

New DVD:

Just ordered:

Picked up Fighters of Ave Maria Italian release, and the CMV hardbox of 2019: After The Fall Of New York.

Arrow’s release of Blind Woman’s Curse came in Saturday, looking forward to watching it!

Just ordered:

Some blu rays:

Bad Lieutenant -Port of Call: New Orleans.
2 Mules for Sister Sara

I also found Bava’s Black Sunday from flee market but it’s region A and can’t watch it. Black Sunday was actually first film I bought on dvd. I paid 40€ for it! And now I’ve even lost the disc.

Blu-rays ordered in the last couple of days:

Just ordered:

Australian backdrop notwithstanding, one of the finest "western"s (“Meat Pie” westerns, according to Wikipedia) ever made, imho.

[quote=“last.caress, post:2124, topic:496”]Just PRE-ordered (won’t be out until March 2015):

Deadwood, complete series on blu-ray. I think that the picture above is the US release, I don’t know if the UK release will be the same or if, as with the DVDs, we will be shockingly short-changed (the season two UK DVD box-set rather cruelly listed all of the numerous cast & crew commentaries for the episodes, even though those commentaries weren’t actually present on the R2 sets. Fuckbums).[/quote]

As an aside on this (it came out at the start of the month), the UK release turned out to be a bare-bones load of old tosh, no better than the DVDs. Fortunately as it turned out (for me) a balls-up at Amazon’s end meant that I wound up cancelling my pre-order about a week before Deadwood came out.

For my Birthday I got a bundle of Italian films on BD:

From Raro (I know, I know):
The Conformist
Conversation Piece
Many Wars Ago

Arrow:
Salvatore Guilano

And:
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (Lucky Red)
Navajo Joe (Koch Media)

Plus,
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn

New DVD:

Upgrade from DVD to Blu-Ray:

New Blu-Ray:

New DVD:

Just ordered:

Just got: Near Dark, Seconds, The Bride Wore Black, John Wick and Shoot the Piano Player. Other than Piano Player havent seen any of them yet. They’re all supposed to be good.

Near Dark was the first pre-recorded movie I ever purchased, on VHS way back in… oh, 1988? 1989? Something like that. Anyway, it remains one of my favourite flicks of all time. Brilliant, brilliant movie.

John Wick - I saw this a couple of months ago; my hopes weren’t particularly high to be honest but I was pleasantly surprised, somewhat. Didn’t blow my mind - in fact I can barely remember much of it now - but it was an enjoyable romp while I watched it, I remember that much.

I’ve never seen Seconds, The Bride Wore Black or Shoot the Piano Player.

One of my favourites. If you like old French cinema, you should give it a try, a great Truffaut flick IMHO.

-