How's the weather like?

Just saw on the news that London is covered with snow

Over here we had something far worse than snow this morning: black ice
A lot of accidents happened, one of my neighbours had a nasty fall

And it’s mighty hot in Australia, so I’ve been told …

Round here we had our icy period 3 or 4 weeks ago.

it’s warmed up here - 45F or 7C. That’s a vast improvement over the 5F (-15C) we had a week ago… Winter certainly is kickin some butt this year.

Yep, the London area has just had the biggest downfall of snow in the last 18 years.
The school my wife works at was closed due to the weather so we took advantage of all being home and went out for a walk in the local forest to make snowmen and throw snowballs at each other. Fantastic!
There’s something about snow which brings the kid out in all of us. ;D

had more snow here than we have in this area for quite a few years. usual things happen, chaos on roads, schools closing, everything coming to a standstill. how do other countries cope? (yawn, yawn). :smiley:

It’s all about what is usual I guess.
We get snow most years in the UK but not much. 6 inches for us is a big down fall. So we are not equipped to handle it really. In a place like Canada this doesn’t rate as serious and wouldn’t cause any disturbance because they are used to it and equipped for it. At least that is in much of Canada. I remember being snowed in in Vancouver about 12 years ago when they had the biggest snow fall they had had in 70 years. The whole city came to a standstill. But then they don’t get anything like the snow there that they have elsewhere in Canada.

I like the Snow on the mountains but I hate the dirty snow in the cities. Snow is good to skie but bad and dangerous for driving. People seems not to know how to drive in winter. So many people are dying because of car accidents because of ice and snow on the streets. Now you are punished very hard in Austria if your car hasn’t winter tyres on between November and the end of the winter. But yes in my country a winter without much snow is called a bad winter. :slight_smile:

Dry, windy(as usual), sunny, and 56F here in Lubbock, Texas. I moved from Amarillo to Lubbock when I remarried 4 months ago. Lubbock’s about 120 miles due south of Amarillo and it’s my hometown, so, good to be back. Amarillo and Lubbock both get the wind but Lubbock is dustier, due to the very sandy soil and all of the surrounding cotton farms. We have had a very mild winter so far. Not much snow, not much moisture of any kind, and not many days below freezing(rather strange)…this weather is killer on the sinuses…

Snow and more to come.

The weaher here today is surprisingly good. ere in Seattle we almost always et rain and more rain. In December, we had at least 12 inches of snow. Very hard to walk when the snow goes up to your ankles. It is 52 degrees fairenheit now.

Well…it snowed for nearly two days here but has been raining hard for hours now and all the snow has gone! Still freezing though. Typical British changeable weather…

It was 43 C (110 F) and over for 3 days in Australia but it’s a nice day today (25 C, 75F)

Silver, send some of that rain our way.

We clear the snow away using snow plows :slight_smile: I heard in the (Danish) news that you don’t have this kind of emergency ‘team’ in Britain which surprised me somewhat.

Well, it’s all gone now and the sun is shining…so maybe it’s on it’s way. Still freezing cold though.

Well, it’s like I said before, it’s all about what is usual. We don’t get heavy snow very often here so snow plows are only needed once every 10 years or so. Not really worth the expense. Most of the time when we get snow it is only a couple of inches and no bother for anyone.

It’s funny at the moment though. Silver says the snow has all gone where she is but we still have lots. Yet she is further north than us and would normally have it more. Seems like the south east got most of it this time. Something my kids are very happy about.

[quote=“Phil H, post:16, topic:1546”]Well, it’s like I said before, it’s all about what is usual. We don’t get heavy snow very often here so snow plows are only needed once every 10 years or so. Not really worth the expense. Most of the time when we get snow it is only a couple of inches and no bother for anyone.

It’s funny at the moment though. Silver says the snow has all gone where she is but we still have lots. Yet she is further north than us and would normally have it more. Seems like the south east got most of it this time. Something my kids are very happy about.[/quote]

Hey…less of that North stuff…this is the East Midlands :stuck_out_tongue: (I know what you mean though). It’s funny, because usually when snow is predicted in the UK we get none at all. It surprised everyone here that we actually got some at all! And that it’s so cold. We’re about 36 miles from the coast so you’d think we’d get a bit of bad weather but it’s rarely the case.

Yes that is of course it. I actually thought that Britain was more or less just as snow-plagued as Denmark. Here it isn’t a question if we will get snow, but rather how much. This winter there has been almost none. Actually this must have been one of the warmest winters in Denmark for a very long time.

It’s -8 C tonight, with similar temperatures predicted for the rest of the week.

Just got back from 4 days of ice fishing up north and it was around -29 C up there for the first couple days…not bad when you’re in a warm ice shack but not fun out on the open lake!

Very cold indeed so just put my bed socks on :D.