How Many Videos and DVDs Do You Own?

hahah… so true…

I’ld rather have the smaller bank acount and more Spaghetti Westerns! :smiley:

Fortunately, there is an easy way to make that happen :wink:

Nowadays I only own a couple of original videos as I have sold the rest. As far as DVDs go I don’t have an exact number… I have tried to list them in DVDProfiler for the last couple of years but most of the time I don’t list the new ones I get, and I haven’t even listed all the ones I owned when I bought the software, so that list is very much out of date.

I think majority of the discs are eurowesterns though:
http://www.sundances.net/spaghetti_dvds.html :stuck_out_tongue:

That is almost all of them (original discs), maybe around 20 are missing (the newest Koch discs and most of Global Videos releases and maybe something else I can’t remember right now)

I really need to update my spaghetti list… I’m so lazy about entering new titles when I get them, and then its a big pain in the butt to go through and add them later

It’s the same here. When I want to update one of my Top 100 Hundred Greatest Movies List or something, it just seems too much like hard work and then one day you wake and realise that you have thirty titles to add. >:(

Had some time on my hands so set about counting mine up. Wasn’t sure quite how to post the results so, here goes;

52 TV Box Sets (215 discs)
20 Film Box Sets (80 discs)
342 DVD Films
15 Music DVD’s
311 dvdr (films)
and um, 43 Wrestling DVD’s :-[ :-X

That’s a brave admission right there. I’m sure there’s a 12 step group can help you with that :smiley:

Don’t think it would do any good i’m afraid! (In my defence, they aren’t WWE, TNA orWCW, anything like that. No, wait…there really isn’t any defence is there ::slight_smile: :P)

Are you really, really sure you want to admit this in front of everyone ;)? But joking aside, you have an impressive collection there Silver.

Haha…well i thought i better 'fess up instead of putting 43 dvd’s of unknown content! And yeah, far too many; I’ve had to put half of them in slip cases for lack of space! Unfortunately films are pretty much my only interest aside from music as (apart from where my kid is concerned) i’m a bit of a hermit :-\

over 200 dvd’s for all movies, westerns, horror, kung fu and action

Here’s what my account on DVD Aficionado says… 196 titles and 371 discs. That’s not including some spaghetti westerns that are not even in the database that I have. Here is a list by genre from my account on DVD Aficionado:

Action/Adventure - 20
Animation - 8
Comedy - 14
Documentary - 1
Drama (mostly crime) - 13
Fantasy - 4
Horror - 1
Music - 3
Sci-Fi (mostly space) - 55
Suspense - 5
War - 10
Western (all spaghetti) - 62

Edit: By “database” I meant DVD Aficionado’s (not this site’s).

(just saw this thread tucked in amongst the “Suggested Topics”, thought I’d dust it off)

Somewhere approaching 1700 titles at present on DVD or Blu-Ray, although I must have ditched a good 500 or so over the years too. I had maybe 200 VHS titles before DVD really took over, and I reckon I re-purchased most of my VHS favourites as DVDs before I lost all of my cassettes in my acrimonious split from the evil ex-girlfriend.

More dvd’rs than anything. As so many obscure films with an english option are only available that way, and that of course includes many Spaghetti westerns.

I don’t include DVD-R’s in my collection (well, I’ve only got a copy of The Mercenary I burned off years ago - which, come to think of it, I think I’ve lost - and a copy of El Puro kindly sent to me by Phil H, which I’ll be keeping until it’s superceded by an actual retail copy of that particular gem). I don’t really burn discs off, I tend to just download a movie, watch it, delete it. If I like a movie though I have to have the physical media. THEN, I’ll count it. So I consider myself NOT to own El Puro, for instance. And I’ve kept my Digital Classics retail DVD of The Great Silence but long since deleted Autephex’s superior Cinemageddon version of the same movie. Daft, really.

I’ve other quirks, too. With TV shows, if the seasons are in a box set together, I’ll count them as one title, but if I’ve purchased the seasons separately, I’ll count them separately. For instance, I have Breaking Bad in its entirety in one blu-ray box set, so it only counts as one title (same with Oz, The Wire, The Sopranos, Battlestar Galactica, Married… With Children, The Larry Sanders Show), but I bought each season of, say, Dexter as they became available, so Dexter counts as eight titles (eight seasons). I count Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, 24, Frasier, Monkey, King of the Hill, The Simpsons, Curb Your Enthusiasm and others similarly. I bought the first five seasons of The Big Bang Theory as a single box set and then bought seasons 6, 7 and 8 separately so I count my The Big Bang Theory collection as four titles (seasons 1-5, season 6, season 7 and season 8). I bought the first three seasons of Seinfeld in a box set and then bought seasons 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 separately, so I count my nine seasons of Seinfeld as seven titles. BUT, I’ll count movies as separate titles no matter whether they’re in a box or not. Alien anthology box set? That’s four movies. Planet of the Apes Evolution collection? That’s seven movies. Et cetera.

I want to discount any of the duplicates in my collection which have been superceded by a better version but I haven’t yet because where some examples are easy - my Batman: Gotham Knight blu-ray obviously supercedes the DVD version in my Batman 5-DVD Animated Collection box set - some are harder: Which version of of If You Meet Sartana, Pray For Your Death do I discount? The one on the Pop Trax The Gunslinger Collection, or the one on the Mill Creek 44-movie set? If I discount the Mill Creek one, is that now a 43-Movie set? That’s how it’ll look.

But, even if I decided, there will be some titles where I’ll be counting duplicates regardless. My Akira DVD has way more extras than my Akira blu-ray so I’m keeping (and counting) them both. My Blade Runner 5-disc DVD tin is way too sexy to ditch, even in favour of my Blade Runner 3-disc blu-ray, so I’m keeping (and counting) them both. But, there were more extras on my Mallrats DVD than on the blu-ray, so I bought a two-disc blu-ray case,put the DVD in with the blu-ray, and now I count it as one title again. Similarly, I had two DVD versions of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: One had more extras, one had a commentary, so I put those into one case and I count it as one title again.

Then there’s alphabetical-versus-chronological. My Jeremy Clarkson DVDs (I know, I know) are all under “C” for “Clarkson” but theyre arranged within themselves chronologically in order of release, from Jeremy Clarkson: Motorsport Mayhem (1999) to Clarkson: The Italian Job (2010). But my Batman blu-rays are alphabetical (ie 2014’s Batman: Assault on Arkham goes before 2005’s Batman Begins). But then again, my Top Gear DVDs (I know, I know) are arranged chronologically from Back in the Fast Lane (2003) to Greatest Hits (2015), EXCEPT for the Top Gear: The Challenges DVDs which are segregated from the others and THEN placed chronologically from The Challenges 1 (2007) to The Challenges 6 (2012), AND the Top Gear: The Great Adventures DVDs which are also segregated and THEN placed chronologically from US Special/Polar Special (2007) to Patagonia Special (2014).

:anguished::anguished::anguished:

1 Like

Some 3500 original DVDs and Blu-rays. Then some 500 VHS.
And then there is all the other stuff. :innocent:

Too much to count, let alone watch. :grin:

I’ve got about 500 or so DVD and Blu-Ray releases. I’m not sure what are doubles or not but I keep a record of it all; if there’s a DVD copy in a Blu-Ray, I list it with the DVDs. The intent is to know what to loan or use in case someone hasn’t made the upgrade to Blu-Ray, of whom I know several. I might have mentioned elsewhere, but I’ve cut it up first by format (obviously), then by the certain collection - Spaghettis are all together, along with Eurocrime, Macaroni Combat, Italian Post Apocalypse, and Charles Bronson vehicles, then he General Collection, which raises the question “Where do you put OUATITW? Or Violent City?” Well, there’s a bit of a hierarchy: The genres take precedence over the actors, especially in regards to record keeping; the Bronson section is just something on the shelf. So OUAT and City are kept out, except my DVD copy of OUAT.

LOL. That custom merging of two releases into one is pure insanity. You having a collection of Jeremy Clarkson DVDs is just another brick in that wall :slight_smile:

According to dvdaf.com I have 1414 titles on 1257 discs (!):

http://avatardk.filmaf.com/owned

dvdaf.com couldn’t give a damn about duplicates though and a 4-movie box set counts as 4 titles. Still haven’t registered the last couple of handful of releases that came in the mail though. Also many of my Italian and German releases don’t figure on dvdaf.com and I have been too lazy to add them myself so probably a 100 or so releases have been skipped. And oh yah, still need to register most of my spaghetti western collection, so it’s a work in progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

Every time I purchase a new title, I have to remove it from my wish list and assign it a rating on Amazon (if it wasn’t an Amazon purchase anyway), I have to enter it into the appropriate personal list on the IMDb (“My DVDs” or “My Blu-Rays”), I have to enter it into DVD Profiler on my laptop and into MyMovies Pro on my phone, and then I have to post it to the “I Just Bought…” thread right here at the SWDB. If it’s a blu-ray I have to add it to my “My Blu-Ray Collection” list on Letterboxd (I haven’t compiled a DVD collection list yet, I doubt I will), before finally moving all the discs on the shelves along to make an alphabetically designated space for the new disc. (!)

I’m surprised I’ve got any time left to watch the f#cking things!