Horror Films

Thanks alot guys. These movies are on my imdb watchlist and I was trying to “trim the fat” so to speak since my list is huge and was trying to decide whether I should delete them or if they made the cut.

I think I’ll watch all of them except for Calvaire. But damn, that poster is awesome.

The only two from your list that I’ve seen are:

The Mothman Prophecies

Rose Red

For me, some aspects of Mothman Prophecies worked well, but as one who is familiar with the book by John Keel, I felt disappointed overall. I have had a moderate interest in the supposedly true incidences of the story (that actually took place in the 1960s), and felt as if a lot or most of the really interesting stuff was omitted. The movie has a decently creepy atmosphere, but ultimately I might give it 3/5 stars.

I just recently watched most of Rose Red (I missed the very beginning) on TV. I thought the characters were interesting…certainly interesting enough for me to spend a few hours watching it. But the FX are very cheap and cheesey-looking. I didn’t find it scary or creepy, either. So for me, the characters and the interactions among them (which may have been intentionally or intentionally comical) was what kept me watching. They were interesting and funny in the way that Stephen King’s characters often are.

Thanks again.

I finally got around to watching the 1989 British TV version of Woman in Black.

It is much closer to the original novel than the recent movie and there is no Daniel Radcliffe, which is a bonafide bonus in my book.

I still like the recent film more however because of the incredible visuals which were nice enough to make you occasionally forget about the brown turd on screen that is Daniel Radcliffe.

I saw Noroi the Curse (2005). I’m usually not into found footage movies but this one was fantastic. I’d say this is the creme de la creme of found footage horror films.

I think the real “curse” however is that two J Horror classics that I love (Ju On the Curse and Noroi the Curse) do not have an official home video release, at least not english friendly anyway. It seems J horror films with english titles ending with the word “curse” are cursed into not coming out on dvd!

Additionally Criterion hasn’t released Ghost story of Yotsuya and instead released Jigoku, a much inferior film.

Noroi the Curse is at the top of my “must-see horror” category. I really hope it gets a U.S. release, perhaps by Criterion? Maybe too much to ask of the dvd releasing powers-that-be.

LAS GARRAS DE LORELEI (The Loreley’s Grasp - 1974, Armando De Ossorio)

A horror movie recapturing the myth of the German water nymph Loreley (German: Lorelei), associated with a rock (also called Lorelei) on the banks of the river Rhine. In this movie she lives in grotto under the water level and every night when the moon is full, she turns into a reptile creature lusting for blood.

Sounds (and actually feels a little) like a Hammer movie, but there’s no Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee here. We have to settle for Italian actor Tony Kendall as the big game hunter (apparently Loreleys are big game), hired to protect the female students of a nearby boarding school against the attacks of the reptile. As usual De Ossorio shows some sense of style and the references to Wagner’s Ring des Nibelungen are nice, but the movie is betrayed by the low budget and the silliness of the premise. The horror scenes are unusually graphic (the Loreley ripping out hearts), but the special effects are so poor that it all looks rather innocuous, occasionally almost funny.

Silly and cheap, but still enjoyable.

6/10

Santa Sangre

A well made film, but a bit too arthouse for my taste.

Guys maybe you can help me, I’m looking for a long time for a title to a weird psychological horror that I’ve watched around 2001/2002.

Movie was probably shoot few years earlier. The main character is a woman/girl in her twenties. I think she had semi-long dark hair. Complete movie is happening in the house which has only ground floor (from memory it kind of reminds me of one of those big brother’s houses). There is a strange presence in the house. We do not know what is real and what is illusion. I think there’s a scene where someone is in the shower, and girl discovers another self. I think the film was in English, so it is not Ju-On, although it has a similar atmosphere. If my memory serves me in the movie there was no blood, but it was very cramped and creepy. It looked like independent, small budget movie, maybe a TV movie.

It is possible that something of written I remember incorrectly.

Anybody has any ideas what this movie might be?

Hmmm… just need a little more information. I can’t think of any in which the presence stays unknown.

Rituals, 1977… I’d mentioned it in another thread, then became inspired to re-watch it. The film has aged beautifully. The suspense is just as discordant as ever, because of the way it was shot. We know something is in the woods, so the Canadian filmmakers don’t spam us with long-range shots of the characters from the woods. Just one or two, here and there. And when the remaining characters emerge above the timberline, the viewer still senses they’re being watched from somewhere. We do see the stalker distantly during the deserted-dam sequence, standing motionless as the second decapitation becomes realized. It’s a great indie-horror adventure.

The Mist (2007)

Although I liked this when it was first released, revisiting it last night showed me how brilliant The Mist really is as a movie. The acting performances are superb and believable. Also, the CGI are well-done, not over-done like so many horror movies nowadays. Maybe my one ‘gripe’, if I even have one, would be the growling spiders with almost-mammalian attitudes. Then again, maybe the spiders from this other dimension all act like that. Sometimes CGI monsters are so much more effective when they don’t have to roar, screech, or bare their fangs too much. Most of all, this is a strongly character-driven movie that sets it apart from most horror films these days.

Housebound

Really good New Zealand horror film. Stylish, lots of humor, good acting and well drawn out characters.

2014, Don’t Blink… starring Mena Suvari, mmmmmm

but she f***ing disappears from the movie, about 1/3rd of the way in. Wtf? The film just has a horror-premise (promise), 10 friends vanishing one-by-one from a deserted mountain-resort, but it never explains why they vanish. Early on, we see the words ‘’ don’t blink ‘’ written on a mirror. And a rowboat with a fishing-pole in it, stranded in the middle of a frozen-lake. That’s about it. I’ll give it 3-out-of-10 for good acting, wasted.

A hypnotic beauty, this Mena. A pity the movie isn’t any better otherwise I’d put it on my too watch list …

Watched two horror movies over the last few days, Miiki’s AUDITION (1999), and Charles B. Pierce’s THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN (1976). Reviews coming up.

Ha!..I almost download it a week ago, until i read this post from someone there.

Oh my god this was bad. I can’t even recommend this to watch when you’re really, really bored, because this movie will increase your boredom tenfold and after it ends you’ll be left wondering if you wouldn’t have spent better time on the can having the runs. ;D

Not the easiest Miiki movie to enjoy, but certainly worth watching for those who like their horror visceral and shocking:

[size=12pt]AUDITION[/size] (1999, Takeshi Miiki)

[size=12pt]Tremors - 1990 - Ron Underwood [/size]

Really don’t know if this count as an horror film, there’s too much fun in it. I’ve seen it several times before, but if it’s on TV I always watch it, so I guess I like the damn film, kind of a guilty pleasure to me.
The cast is great specilly Ward and Bacon in a cool buddy team, also Michael Gross from Family Ties fame and Reba McEntire playing a couple of trigger happy survivalists are fun.

There were a few sequels, even a TV series, but I never got to watch those, didn’t wan’t to spoil the fun i have from this one is.

It’s old school stuff but it works.

The best of The Tremors films, the follow up films just do not have that edge for me.

@Tremors

Great fun. Haven’t watched any of the sequels (saw a couple of minutes of one of them when it was on TV, but didn’t seem half as clever and witty as the original)

Tremors has a sequel set in the Wild West, right? Been meaning to see that one.