Hell On Wheels--New AMC TV Series

Saw a commerical for this while I was watching The Walking Dead. Gonna have to check this out next month. Hopefully it will be good.

Doesn’t exactly get my juices flowing.

I also saw the commercial for it! Looks interesting, will watch and see if it’s any good.

Yeah, I hope it’s good. It would be nice to have a western tv show again and so far AMC has been kicking out some great shows.

I’m not entirely convinced. I can’t quite identify why but it looks a bit “fake”, especially the bits with people working on the railway.

Hopefully I’ll be proved wrong though!

I plan on giving this one a chance. Some promos I have seen for it make it look really, really good. Others I have seen make it look really, really…average.
So…quien sabe?

This is only one of about a half dozen Western shows that are set to hit American TV networks over the next year, by the way.

Fox is planning a “project” (either a series or a mini-series depending on which source you want to believe) about Wyatt Earp. The project is to be executive-produced by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, anf Heather Kadin. Kurtzman and Orci co-created FRINGE, co-wrote STAR TREK (the recent movie) and they also co-wrote Jon Favreau’s COWBOYS & ALIENS (a film I quite liked, I must add).

ABC has a sort of Police Procedural Western in the works called HANGTOWN from BATTLESTAR GALACTICA creator Ron Moore–and they also have one called THE GUNSLINGER on the books. However, the word is that GUNSLINGER is actually going to be a feature film, now.

TNT recently ordered a pilot for GATEWAY, an action-adventure set in 1880s Colorado, from executive producer Bruce C. McKenna.

According to Mr. Robert Conrad, he has been hired (by CBS) to be a consultant on a rebooting of his old series THE WILD WILD WEST (and he assured me it would be nothing at all like the Will Smith film!).

And NBC is planning on getting into the Western groove with a couple of proposed series (both as of yet untitled). One of those proposed series is coming from Peter Berg and his fellow producers of FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.
This one is supposed to be told “from a female perspective”.

Oh…and there is another one called RECONSTRUCTION that was originally slated for the FX network. Now, there is talk of it moving to a “bigger” venue, so to speak.

And I am told that there are even more Western TV shows in the planning stages from other networks.

Might just be that we really are going to see a bit of a comeback for the Western…

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:6, topic:2864”]Fox is planning a “project” (either a series or a mini-series depending on which source you want to believe) about Wyatt Earp. The project is to be executive-produced by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, anf Heather Kadin. Kurtzman and Orci co-created FRINGE, co-wrote STAR TREK (the recent movie) and they also co-wrote Jon Favreau’s COWBOYS & ALIENS (a film I quite liked, I must add).

ABC has a sort of Police Procedural Western in the works called HANGTOWN from BATTLESTAR GALACTICA creator Ron Moore–and they also have one called THE GUNSLINGER on the books. However, the word is that GUNSLINGER is actually going to be a feature film, now.[/quote]

i´m fan of Ron Moore´s work since his early career on Star Trek : The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine,
now i´m not sure about Kurtzman and Orci - to mention their earlier works on Hercules, ehm, could it be worse? okay, i quite like new Star Trek, but script was definitely a weaker part of it (not to mention really horrible screenplay efforts in Transformers series)

Would be nice to see those projects come to light. Might have a few jems.

[quote=“tomas, post:7, topic:2864”]i´m fan of Ron Moore´s work since his early career on Star Trek : The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine,[/quote]That’s just put me right off.

Well, I have to confess that the mere mention of anything STAR TREK, or STAR WARS for that matter, puts me off. :wink:
I am simply not much of a Sci-Fi fan–though I understand why some folks enjoy the genre (and there are some Sci-Fi films I do like).

well, i just wanted to say that if Ron Moore is involved in creating/producing of some western movie or series, it could be great, because he was always a remarkable screenwriter

I think it is interesting that someone like Ron Moore who has contributed to so many popular and long-running TV series, etc., is getting behind doing a Western.
I personally may not like the programs he has been involved with previously–but, there is no denying that a lot of people have found something engaging about them.
He obviously knows what he is doing in his realm of expertise.
So, I agree…having Moore involved in creating/producing some Westerns could be great.

Well the show premeired last night. I thought it was pretty good. It wasn’t great but I will defenitly tune in next week. It needs more action IMO, too much talk not enough bang bang. Anyone else see the premeire?

Yep. Liked it!
It wasn’t extraordinary…but, it has some potential and it in no way sucked (well, apart from some of their music choices!).
I will definitely be watching it in the weeks to come!
My only worry is that they may have too many characters and story arcs to try to keep track of.
But, we will just have to wait and see…

Saw the first episode and i liked it. Defenitly will watch this from now on. It looks interesting, it’s got the revenge factor along with a mix of bad guys, whores, slaves, indians and whatever else they want throw in. It looks good, i’m in.

ha, Colm Meaney is in it, i didn´t notice - i hope i´ll watch it in a short time

I like Chris liked it and will continue on to episode 2. Spaghetti references abound such as Bohannan’s outfit and flat brimmed hat. Opening scene sees him in a confessional and shooting a confessor in the head. He’s on a train and is seen with his head down slowly raises his head and his face is exposed. Indian attack has an arrow go clean through a victim and lodge in a wagon behind him. The next arrow goes through his throat. The railroad is being sponsored by a crooked politician who wants to make as much money on the deal as possible and could care less on who gets hurt as long as the railroad continues. Good acting and nice loation and production values. I’d give it an 8 out of 10 so far. 8)

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed the show. Hopefully it will sustain. Really liked the railroad tycoon character, he had some great lines. Looks like my sunday nights will be filled for a few weeks. A little bit of Simpsons, some zombie gore, and top it off with some good ol’ gunslinging. This be one happy camper. ;D

Well another episode down and IMO the show is getting better. Loved the introduction of “The Swede”, this character is SW through and through. I do think the show still needs more action scenes. This is a western after all. Give me a bar fight or a showdown please. Where’s the good ole’ bullets a flying gun fight? Hopefully my yearnings for blood will be quenched in the episodes to come. Would also love to see some fleshing out of the backstories for some of these characters. I’m sure we eventiually will see the apparantly grusome demise of the main characters wife at some point. But I would like to see some of the “horrible things” the Swede did back in Georgia while he was a POW, I doubt we will, but it would be cool.

Well amigo’s what’s your opinions on last nights episode?

Pretty good! Like you said, it needs a bit more action scenes, but i’m sure that will come in time. So far i’m enjoying the show, but hate those damned commercials. >:(