Hammer Films

OK, sorry for mistake… ;D

Cash On Demand, 1962… entertaining Hammer foray into the crime-suspense realm. Peter Cushing as a starched, tightly-wound bank-manager, who falls victim to a robbery-scam disguised as a security-evaluation. Andre Morrell is masterful as the multi-dimensional con-artist. The majority of the suspense deals with timing and deception, as Cushing’s employees are completely unaware that the bank is being robbed… but are slowly becoming suspicious. The ending is satisfyingly enigmatic, as the audience is kept guessing about the machinations of the police. Cushing’s performance is sensational.

Try “The abominable snowman of the Himalayas” and “She” both with Peter Cushing as main character. Also a very good Hammer-production with a dense creepy vibe is “Paranoiac” with Oliver Reed.

The Hammer flix with Mr Lee & Mr Cushing are my all time favourites , followed by Countess Dracula , Captain Kronos : Vampire Hunter and the Hammer House Of Horror TV Series along with the non - horror films “Ten Seconds To Hell” and the "On The Buses " Trilogy.

Shadow Of The Cat, 1961… One of those masterpieces of editing that forces the audience’s imagination to do the bulk of fear provocation. And thankfully, the cat-in-question isn’t black. It’s just a regular cat. -Who’s owner is murdered by family-members that realize the will of the estate is missing. Most of the film combines will-hunting and cat-searching, with deaths occurring one-by-one. I’d love to see a modernized remake of it.

So member Wild The Hunchback leaves again.

Many good recommendations on this topic already, I’m just a beginner when it comes to Hammer films, but I thought I might check couple of their films and then see if I like them (but I’m quite sure I’ll love these movies, for example The Abominable Snowman looks amazing!).

I really love Val Lewton’s classic movies for instance and I hope I could find something like that from Hammer films, keep those recommendations coming and I’ll add them to my watch list! :slight_smile:

I’m a BIG fan of Hammer films.

Have to admit that my favorites are the DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN series. Peter Cushing is simply DUH MAN! And oh, Christopher Lee isn’t half bad, either… heh.

Just revisited THE DEVIL RIDES OUT the other day. I always get a laugh from that spider scene!

1952, Cloudburst… A master cryptographer’s wife is killed by a car-fleeing-a-murder-scene and he orchestrates a tight-knit revenge-plot to run-over the murderers in the same manner. -Starring Robert Preston in a convincingly intense performance. My only quibbles with the film are that Scotland Yard discovers what’s happening too fast… and that everybody knows everybody. The story’s scope is too narrow. Above-averagely Hitchcockian though.

I’ve watched Hammer films since I was a kid, over 40 years ago. At that time, my favorites included:

Horror of Dracula
Curse of the Werewolf
The Gorgon
and many, many others…

For the past few years, my favorite Hammer film has been:

The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas

I really feel that this film was ahead of its time in many ways.