Guns of the Magnificent Seven (Paul Wendkos, 1969)

The only notable film by director Paul Wendkos, this is arguably the best squel to John Sturges The Magnificent Seven. With a Spaghetti Western-like plot, a Mexican revolutionary hires an American gunslinger to organize the rescue of their leader from a brutal army prison, it can be seen to be influanced by the Spaghetti’s of that period. George Kennedy is all right as Chris, but there is a abundance of action to keep the uncritical happy. What do you think of it?

Here is the database link:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Guns_of_the_Magnificent_Seven

i’d agree it’s the best of the sequels but they are all similar and turning " The Magnificent Seven " into a t.v series as they did a few years ago was a bit much. ???

I’ve heard about the T. V. series. What was the plotline/point?

[quote=“John Welles, post:4, topic:2099”]I’ve heard about the T. V. series. What was the plotline/point?[/quote]don’t know really as i didn’t watch it, but i think it was the same seven every week so none of them were killed off. Michael Biehn was the leader and Ron Perlman was also one of the seven, i’m not sure but i think one of them was also a female.

I take exception to your saying that this film was the only notable film directed by Paul Wendkos!
He also directed the very enjoyable film CANNON FOR CORDOBA which I think is quite a bit superior to GUNS OF THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN.

[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Cannon_for_Cordoba[/url]

By the way , that Magnificent Seven TV show is/was atrocious. It was more a retooling of YOUNG GUNS for the TV market than it was a variation on the original Sturges movie. Even THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN RIDE! is better than the TV series!

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:6, topic:2099”]I take exception to your saying that this film was the only notable film directed by Paul Wendkos!
He also directed the very enjoyable film CANNON FOR CORDOBA which I think is quite a bit superior to GUNS OF THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN. [/quote]
Sorry, but I’ve never heard of CANNON FOR CORDOBA before. Thanks for the link, it looks quite interesting.

This film’s page in our database has been updated to the new layout. Please contribute to it.

Better than Return of the Seven which suffered from a ridiculous plot. And no 4 which wasn’t very good either.

Filmed in 1968 I suspect it was influenced by The Dirty Dozen as the plot involves the 7 infiltrating and attacking an armed compound. The only 1 of the 4 in which they are in offensive rather than defensive mode.

The Mexican Revolution background is very generic and I’ve got no idea when this is supposed to be set or which revolution this is. Props and character span about thirty years. Very much aimed at a matinee audience since the revolutionaries don’t execute their prisoners - unlike in The Professionals or A Bullet for the General or Villa Rides - as that might confuse the kids as to who the bad guys are.

I thought the chief villain was pretty thick. Chris rides into his compound for a chat and he correct guesses he is going to try and free the revolutionary leader. But then let’s him go rather than arresting him or shooting him.

1 Like