God’s Gun / Diamante Lobo (Gianfranco Parolini, 1976)

Israel is my favorite Spagh location. Prefer it to Almería even.

[quote=“Silence, post:81, topic:346”]Israel is my favorite Spagh location. Prefer it to Almería even.[/quote]I reckon your the only one then :wink:

No worries, amigo!

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:49, topic:346”]Yeah, but how do you REALLY feel? :slight_smile:

I’ve never made it past the first five minutes of this one. [/quote]

Odd, as it is the film’s opening sequence that is the best part of the movie.
Very Mario Bava esq. (with the strange lighting).

BTW are we still talking about RETURN OF SABATA?

The soundtrack is used badly in the film but it’s actually very good (I have the soundtrack on LP).
The scene where Sabata uses the palm gun (not sure of the correct name), during a shootout on the street, easily tops any other action sequences in the original (except maybe Banjo’s “big reveal” which is eerily similar to the gunfight in question).

The climatic shootout at Mclintock’s ranch is great as well. I really like the big fake out scene at the end!
The rest of the film has a lot of problems.
It has really bad pacing and the story is a little incoherent at times but the film makes up for it with its high energy (a Parolini trademark) and Van Cleef’s funny/hammy performance.

I remember disliking it a great deal upon initial viewing but it’s one of those films that grow on you with rewatchings.

Anyway, it’s miles ahead of the stale ADIOS SABATA which, as most on here already know, isn’t really a Sabata movie.

P.S. Annabella Incontrera never looked better than in ROS.

That’s my take anyway.
I know my opinion of the movie isn’t a popular one.

I remember reading somewhere that he didn’t direct all of it.
I think he had to sweep up whatever was left after the original director got canned.

Anybody know more details?

This would make sense to me, as there isn’t much left of Parolini’s style. In fact a good director should have made at least a decent film with the screenplay or the plot. It’s the completely uninspired directing which kills the film. I have to say that God’s Gun is so awful, that I’m really surprised that so many amigos here like it to a certain degree.

But maybe Parolini simply was on his way down, and didn’t do another good film after his 4 Sartana/Sabata films anyway.

I don’t really like this one either. I like the ending and the idea about a priest gunfighter (which was invented in Requisant) is quite cool.

I have to completely disagree. I found the direction to be spirited, and some nice stylistic touches were added.

I’m pretty sure the Preist Gunfighter originated some time before Requisant.
I don’t know when but it seems like it has been a staple of the Western genre long before the Italian ones.
I recall there is a gunslinging Bible thumper in ANGEL AND THE BADMAN…
I could be wrong though, I haven’t seen it in years.

i have a spare greek cardboard cover DVD of this film. it is ALL regions and in English. i have the film on another dvd. i will exchange it for a english language DVDR of one of the following, Wanted, Long Day of Vengeance,Bandidos,Bullets Don’t Argue,Price Of Power,or A Long Ride From Hell. PM me if interested.

[quote=“man with a name, post:90, topic:346”]i have a spare greek cardboard cover DVD of this film. [/quote]Does that version show Sybill Dannings tits properly?

[quote=“YourPallbearer, post:89, topic:346”]I’m pretty sure the Preist Gunfighter originated some time before Requisant.
I don’t know when but it seems like it has been a staple of the Western genre long before the Italian ones.
I recall there is a gunslinging Bible thumper in ANGEL AND THE BADMAN…
I could be wrong though, I haven’t seen it in years.[/quote]

Yeah, the “Sin Killer” (a pistol packing preacher) is a pretty standard character in American Westerns (especially those made in the late 30’s and early 40’s).
I am thinking specifically of the one in DUEL IN THE SUN.
And there are many others apart from that one.
There is even a Horror/Western from the 1950’s, CURSE OF THE UNDEAD, that features a gunslinging Reverend that kills a gunslinging Vampire with a bullet he (the Reverend) made out of a crucifix medal!

Unfortunatly no Yodlaf, it’s only a small square cardboard cover and ol Sybil has a load of titty!(ogle)

[quote=“man with a name, post:93, topic:346”]Unfortunatly no Yodlaf, it’s only a small square cardboard cover and ol Sybil has a load of titty!(ogle)[/quote]I meant the print of the film, hasn’t the U.K. lost some tit shots?

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:94, topic:346”]I meant the print of the film, hasn’t the U.K. lost some tit shots?[/quote]i know you meant the film,i was trying to be funny ( and failed) but there are no tit shots in the film so they must have been cut.

[quote=“man with a name, post:95, topic:346”]there are no tit shots in the film so they must have been cut.[/quote]I should imagine they are taken from the same master then.

I swear a read somewhere the dvd has tit shots missing.

There are tits in the UK DVD. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As far as I know the UK DVD is uncut.

1 Like

I seem to remember someone came to the conclusion that some of the images were obscured just a bit compared to an open matte print, but it’s uncut.

I remember that aswell…now that you mention it.